In the News II

August 15th, 2023 at 2:57:07 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
You wouldn't. AMS said something to the effect of Trump 'fanboys' not living in the real world, so I suggested that they should be in favor of absentee ballots. Since you either live in, or believe you live in, the real world, my comment wasn't directed at you.

Fair enough.

The more I ignore him the more infatuated he seems to be with me.
The President is a fink.
August 15th, 2023 at 3:45:45 PM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
The document says FirstNet is owned by AT&T which owns CNN.

Obviously, this one won't be picked up by MSM, so it'll likely simmer for years, but it's interesting.

-------------------------

Report: Engineers Discover Nationwide Cellular Network Connects Election Equipment and Gives Federal Government Access to Election Systems at Precinct Level

Aug. 14, 2023
...the team realized that the federal government has indeed created a nationwide network that is capable of collecting and changing real-time voting data at polling places across the country from a central location. The private network tool is called FirstNet, and like so many things that have proven detrimental to American liberty – it was sold as a tool to ensure public safety.
https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2023/08/report-nationwide-cellular-network-connects-election-equipment-gives/

-----------------------
August 15th, 2023 at 3:58:46 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
So some tourists are being publicly shamed for going to luxury hotels on parts of Maui that were spared from the disastrous fires. I have mixed feelings. I’m sure the maids/waiters/owners are happy to keep being able to make a living. The optics of course are bad. I had a similar decision. Was going to Ft Myers condo for a month but canceled after the hurricane devastation. But more because the many local amenities were destroyed as opposed to a nobler reason.

I think if the resorts are open it is not wrong to go. Am I tone deaf?
August 15th, 2023 at 4:10:23 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: SOOPOO
So some tourists are being publicly shamed for going to luxury hotels on parts of Maui that were spared from the disastrous fires. I have mixed feelings. I’m sure the maids/waiters/owners are happy to keep being able to make a living. The optics of course are bad. I had a similar decision. Was going to Ft Myers condo for a month but canceled after the hurricane devastation. But more because the many local amenities were destroyed as opposed to a nobler reason.

Only if they are officially recommending you don't go would I worry about it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 4:31:44 PM permalink
rxwine
I thought hot water tank explosions were a thing of the past? Even if you have failed release valve seems like there should be a secondary weak point for the tank to blow of steam before catastrophic failure. Much rather have the tank ruined completely having part of it blown out before a big explosion.

Quote:
PLUM, Pa. -- The owners of a home that exploded in western Pennsylvania last weekend were having issues with their hot water tank, authorities said, but the cause of the blast that killed five people — including two municipal officials — remains under investigation.

The explosion in Plum destroyed three structures and damaged at least a dozen others. It occurred shortly before 10:30 a.m. Saturday at a home owned by Heather Oravitz, the town's community development director, and her husband. The town is about 20 miles (32 kilometers) east of Pittsburgh.

Plum Mayor Harry Schlegel said Oravitz, 51, and Plum Borough Manager Michael Thomas, 57, were killed in the blast, along with three others who lived in the neighborhood: Kevin Sebunia, 55; Casey Clontz, 38; and Clontz's 12-year-old son, Keegan.

Oravitz’s husband, Paul, suffered severe burns over most of his body and remained hospitalized Tuesday in critical condition, Schlegel said. Two others injured in the blast were treated at a hospital and released.

Emergency responders said people were trapped under debris when they arrived to the scene. County spokesperson Amie Downs said the blast leveled one house and two others were on fire. Fifty-seven firefighters were treated at the scene for minor issues, an Allegheny County official
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 15th, 2023 at 4:35:08 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51

As long as what you are doing isn't going to cause additional hardship I wouldn't hesitate. Besides, Ian was just a little wind and rain.

Yes, this is where I live.

At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 15th, 2023 at 6:29:31 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman
Fair enough.

The more I ignore him the more infatuated he seems to be with me.

Don’t flatter yourself. Doubt any human being on the planet is infatuated with you.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 15th, 2023 at 6:30:26 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

If you’ve paid for a vacation and it’s non-refundable, what else should you do? I can’t be mad at them.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 16th, 2023 at 4:43:46 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
Trying to pick low hanging fruit.

Downtown Josh Brown and Cramer are shunning PYPL.

Besides MC & V, there is AAPL in the same area.

All are taking names.

It doesn't look good and I don't blame them but the numbers could be much worse.

Which is why I'm picking low hanging PYPL fruit for the upside.

The one news report that allowed me to is Elliot Investment Management that dumped her last Q.

My first taste (this time) was $60.20 per share yesterday before the bell.

I tried options, out to 2025, but the traders loved their PYPL options too much.

So I went directly into the stock.

Very unusual for me, unless a stock is priced low numerically.
August 16th, 2023 at 11:39:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Report that people on Maui upset with government response. Not sure what you can expect in a week. They're out on an island. You get food, water and a place to sleep. You can't expect much in the first week. They're still searching for bodies that have turned into ashes. Unless you've got one of those insurance companies that cut you check in the next day, you're sure going to have to wait as they're lots of people to ID and process. Some didn't even leave with ID.