In the News II

August 20th, 2023 at 12:13:02 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Quote: Mission146

Bottom Line: The guest should not be charged for a room the hotel is saying they can no longer have for any reason.

Both you and Duffman seem to really like insurance policies that shouldn't even F****** exist if all of the greedy sons of b****** in this disgusting world could find it within themselves to be the least bit equitable with one another.

They share a deep hatred for the human species in general and enjoy seeing others misfortunes, which does make it curious how they manage to live with themselves.
August 20th, 2023 at 12:25:36 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Would you like it if I charged you for something even though I'm the one saying you can't have it anymore?

I used to manage hotels and what you are saying is not strictly correct. There are a few possibilities which I will now detail:

1.) The booking is made in such a way that the guest actually does pay the hotel directly, then the hotel remits a percentage to the third-party website. If the reservation is cancelled, for any reason that the hotel accepts (including hotel cancel) then they no longer have to remit the percentage and the guest would not be charged. The hotel would simply call the TPW and say that they (the hotel) initiated a cancellation and why they did that, which the TPW would accept for something like this.

2.) If the booking is made such that the third-party website charges the guest directly, then the TPW provides the hotel a, "One-shot" credit card that will authorize the charge to the penny. The guest could be called by the hotel and told they have to call the TPW to cancel, then the guest calls TPW, TPW calls hotel, hotel says they allow this cancellation and are, in fact, the ones who initiated it. TPW refunds guest.***

***In theory, the TPW could refuse to refund the guest, but I couldn't imagine that the guest ever uses that site again and it would be an auto-win on a charge dispute when the credit card company calls the hotel and the hotel says they initiated the cancellation.

3.) Guest books hotel direct, so you just don't charge them and refund any deposit.

Bottom Line: The guest should not be charged for a room the hotel is saying they can no longer have for any reason.

I always book hotels through their own site. These sites now almost always have 2 rates one prepaid with no cancellation and second price always more that has a cancellation policy. If you pay the lower rate you should live with the contract you signed not after the fact want the refund that is having your cake and eating it too.

Both you and Duffman seem to really like insurance policies that shouldn't even F****** exist if all of the greedy sons of b****** in this disgusting world could find it within themselves to be the least bit equitable with one another.

I always book hotels through their own site. These sites now almost always have 2 rates one prepaid with no cancellation and second price always more which has a cancellation policy. If you pay the lower rate you should live with the contract you signed not after the fact want the refund, that is having your cake and eating it too.

A friend of mine came home from Palm Springs this spring and had booked 3 nights at various locations for the trip home. The floods meant she couldn't travel when booked. Neither the 3rd party sites nor the hotels would offer her any refunds. She is also the type of gal that knows how to get things from business's and was still stymied. I didn't give her any sympathy for booking non-cancellable rooms.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
August 20th, 2023 at 12:45:16 PM permalink
Tanko
Threads: 0
Quote: missedhervee
It seems the population of Maine is delclining yearly and they need workers to fill all the empty slots there.

Until then, they sit idle, all expenses paid by we tax payers, which is NOT what they came here for.

They and I am frustrated that they cannot work immediately: they want to work, the work is there, but they cannot.

The illegals would freeze to death in Maine, where the average winter temperature in southern Maine is 25 degrees, with a wind chill of -40. About 120 degrees colder than the illegals are accustomed to. Six feet of snow, starting in September.

Not a chance they will leave NYC where they party non-stop from 10pm to 4am every night outside their their luxury hotel rooms with unlimited free food and free medical for life.

They don't need to work, but who said they're not working?

If they're not working, how did they manage to send almost $800 billion home in 2022?

Many of the illegals in NYC work off the books. The men can clear $800 per week (nice pool) doing construction and demolition. The women sell fruit and candy on the streets and in the subways. Others are sex slaves forced into prostitution to pay off the cartels that brought them here. They're definitely not going anywhere. The DA's refuse to prosecute them and the Judges refuse to evict them.

Apartment turned into brothel. Judge says no problem.

Nobody mucks things up like the democrats.
August 20th, 2023 at 1:36:34 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: kenarman
I always book hotels through their own site. These sites now almost always have 2 rates one prepaid with no cancellation and second price always more which has a cancellation policy. If you pay the lower rate you should live with the contract you signed not after the fact want the refund, that is having your cake and eating it too.

A friend of mine came home from Palm Springs this spring and had booked 3 nights at various locations for the trip home. The floods meant she couldn't travel when booked. Neither the 3rd party sites nor the hotels would offer her any refunds. She is also the type of gal that knows how to get things from business's and was still stymied. I didn't give her any sympathy for booking non-cancellable rooms.

I agree with what you are saying and I agree that the only better way to book is to call the hotel directly.

The key difference here is WHO initiates the cancellation. If the guest calls and says they want to cancel a non-cancellable...I mean, it's good business to let them if you're going to sell the room anyway. If you're not going to be sold out that night, then play it by ear.

If the hotel is initiating the cancellation, then the guest should not be charged under any circumstances. You haven't failed at your end of the contract; your end of the contract is YOU will not cancel the reservation...not that the hotel won't.

Think of it like an overbooking: If you showed up for your reservation and the hotel was sold out, but it was not cancellable, should the hotel still get to charge you on the grounds that it can't be cancelled and they're saying they don't have a room for you? Obviously not. It's the same thing; if the hotel initiates the cancellation, for any reason, the guest should not be charged.

Has anyone ever taken Business Ethics 101? JK

You should tell this friend of yours to call the credit card company and dispute the transaction on the grounds that she did not receive the product/service paid for. Is she supposed to be forced into an act of charity because there was a flood? Charity to a business? HA!

I know what we do on our end when the opportunity is there, as hotels. Don't shed a tear for the poor hotels. Trust me.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
August 20th, 2023 at 4:09:35 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

What on earth is wrong with business interruption insurance? What do you have against risk management?
The President is a fink.
August 20th, 2023 at 4:44:59 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
What on earth is wrong with business interruption insurance? What do you have against risk management?

Insurance is for poor people.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 20th, 2023 at 4:59:40 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
Insurance is for poor people.

Larry Silverstein was poor??
The President is a fink.
August 20th, 2023 at 6:20:15 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: AZDuffman
Larry Silverstein was poor??

I have no idea who that is.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
August 21st, 2023 at 2:22:53 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: DRich
I have no idea who that is.

Well, find out.
The President is a fink.
August 21st, 2023 at 3:08:40 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
A view of the NDQ (Nasdaq 100) Monthly going back to 1985 (log format).

There was no back-test of the Dot Com Bubble top.

Not even the Covid pandemic scared folks into selling enough to test the support.

That's the weakest aspect of the chart.

Eventually, price support of the Dot Com Bubble top should be tested.

It's easy to forget about it because we can have trillion dollar firms doubling in 6-12 months.

The test won't happen until the excess cash is taken out of the system.

Can click on image to expand it.

-------------------

https://imgur.com/hHrHaUu

------------------