Medical Assistance in Dying: MAID

Page 1 of 51234>Last »
April 2nd, 2023 at 2:15:18 PM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
starting to take an interest in this, about which I have mixed feelings

I will say that I am surprised how Canada has let this go such great guns, making a bit of a mockery of initial claims they would do the opposite. But why am I surprised? I see that sort of thing over and over

for the first post, not going to go deep into that but something else here. I've been told by people who would know, that doctors have to learn to control "inappropriate laughter". For example, if a patient surprises everybody by living, but dies later, a doctor might have an impulse to chuckle when relating that story, forgetting that any listener might be totally shocked. It can be a very natural mistake to make. I see that Ellen Wiebe, Canada's candidate for the new Doctor Death label, has not learned this yet. She will.

Here are a couple of instances of that, picked up by critics of course. Again, I've learned to sympathize with this mistake, but still it is kind of interesting to see someone make that mistake.

also

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/wp-content/uploads/2022/12/Angry-family-members-are-our-greatest-risk.mp4
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 3rd, 2023 at 3:17:27 AM permalink
odiousgambit
So this is a Canadian thing in case you didn't know that

Minimal coverage here in the US, why is that? It could be coming here. Of course everybody knows it will be a source of division ... good grief, we know we don't need more of that. Still, if it's coming, we should be talking about aspects of it that aren't right.

Would you like it if we too find it wasn't 'as billed'? Creepily, poor people, particularly the destitute, the homeless, etc, are starting to realize the state is looking at them differently now. And ...

Quote: doctor quoted in link
[this doctor] has observed patients who become fixated on MAID, who under different circumstances, before MAID was a part of our culture, would have carried on living through difficult times, or who would have pursued treatment options with a reasonable chance of success even though doing so would be temporarily unpleasant or uncomfortable. Many people who are not at risk of suicide are nevertheless at risk of MAID, especially so because it has been so quickly embraced as an honourable, “dignified,” idyllic form of death.

Brave new world for the homeless problem, guys.

https://www.thenewatlantis.com/publications/no-other-options
April 3rd, 2023 at 4:05:35 AM permalink
DoubleGold
Threads: 30
I don't completely agree with Jack (see quote below).

It can be an illusion that the life temporarily assigned to us is ours.

We don't have the spiritual authority to take a life, even our own assigned life.

Only the owner can take a life, otherwise it's theft, which is wrong.

If I create a painting, I own it.

Then I can destroy it and not be wrong.

But if another person destroys my painting without my permission, then that person is wrong.

Pro-create is not the same as create.

Pro-create means we have some authority but not all authority.

Create implies complete authority.

A way to test this concept, is to try to create a human being from scratch.

If it lives, then you own the life.

-----------------------------

Anytime you interfere with a natural process, you're playing God. God determines what happens naturally. That means when a person's ill, he shouldn't go to a doctor because he's asking for interference with God's will. But of course, patients can't think that way.

Jack Kevorkian

----------------------------
April 6th, 2023 at 4:12:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine, from another thread
Interesting article about dying. Some things are common, but unsurprisingly not everyone wants the same cliched idea of activities prior to death. Some people want a party going on, not just fading away in silence, and so forth.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/wellness/what-we-get-wrong-about-death-according-to-end-of-life-workers/ar-AA19vNxr?ocid=msedgntp&cvid=bdba01e7a84f413ebd8719f05e5b5d57&ei=38
Yes, interesting, with a whiff of ...what?

With what's going on in Canada with MAID, I'm curious as to whether the idea has appeal to some over here, who would like to have it over here. Yes it makes me seem paranoid, so for a comment I'll just say that the lack of stories in the US about the concerning way MAID is manifesting itself is striking! Meanwhile stories like this are to be found instead

btw I didn't notice it seemed to be too much about "wanting a party going on" and all that, but instead addressing things like the perception that in hospice care they knock you off quick these days ... this actually is also an unusual article, addressing that!

link to original post http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3787/10/#post200319
April 6th, 2023 at 5:18:02 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
Yes, interesting, with a whiff of ...what?

With what's going on in Canada with MAID, I'm curious as to whether the idea has appeal to some over here, who would like to have it over here. Yes it makes me seem paranoid, so for a comment I'll just say that the lack of stories in the US about the concerning way MAID is manifesting itself is striking! Meanwhile stories like this are to be found instead

btw I didn't notice it seemed to be too much about "wanting a party going on" and all that, but instead addressing things like the perception that in hospice care they knock you off quick these days ... this actually is also an unusual article, addressing that!

link to original post http://diversitytomorrow.com/thread/3787/10/#post200319

I have no idea what you're worried about? You don't trust people around you to not to send you sleep with the fishes if they get a chance?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2023 at 5:31:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
I have no idea what you're worried about?
no idea, eh?
Quote:
You don't trust people around you to not to send you sleep with the fishes if they get a chance?
kill me and toss me into the ocean? I don't think they do that, even in Canada. However, a few brave people have admitted that palliative sedation is controversial. You won't see an article about that with MSNBC though

I have mixed feelings, as I've mentioned before. I'm a little bothered by the lack of transparency ... the evident approval of the insurance companies.... the lack of discussion

Quote: Palliative sedation - Wikipedia... section: Survival
. There are reports that after initiation of palliative sedation, 38% of people died within 24 hours and 96% of people died within one week. Other studies report a survival time of < 3 weeks in 94% of people after starting palliative sedation.
April 6th, 2023 at 5:36:25 AM permalink
odiousgambit
a few brave souls in Canada too

definitely check it out at 1:19 ... https://youtu.be/hVxGOD8YNu8?t=79

or watch the whole thing

April 6th, 2023 at 5:37:39 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Someone could also swindle you out of all your money while you're befuddled by Alzheimer's and you could spend your last years destitute eating garbage scraps thrown to you whie you wallow in your own excrement. Are you preparing backups for that?
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2023 at 5:41:57 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: rxwine
Someone could also swindle you out of all your money while you're befuddled by Alzheimer's and you could spend your last years destitute eating garbage scraps thrown to you whie you wallow in your own excrement. Are you preparing backups for that?

elder abuse is usually done by relatives. Stay away from them! LOL

actually I have considered having a lawyer handy to look after my interests. That way I switch who swindles me I guess
April 6th, 2023 at 9:01:33 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
no idea, eh?
kill me and toss me into the ocean? I don't think they do that, even in Canada.

I have already told my wife that I want to be disposed of in a Walmart dumpster.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 1 of 51234>Last »