Medical Assistance in Dying: MAID

Page 2 of 5<12345>
April 6th, 2023 at 9:14:24 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: DRich
I have already told my wife that I want to be disposed of in a Walmart dumpster.

Once I called in a report to the cops of a body in a goodwill collection thingy. Looks a bit like a dumpster. But he was alive. This was in Vegas of course, the place where anything goes.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2023 at 11:12:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: DRich
I have already told my wife that I want to be disposed of in a Walmart dumpster.

On a related matter, usually final wishes like these* are seldom carried out. Perhaps you just simply don't want a lot spent on your funeral. After the wife** hears the right kinds of suggestions along the lines of showing respect, matters of status, etc, you instead wind up in the most expensive coffin with all the trimmings for the funeral generally

there are things you can do, like prepay for the whole business the way you want it

* this particular one sounds like a joke of course
** yeah could be the husband, but I'm relating a common outcome
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
April 6th, 2023 at 11:47:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: odiousgambit
On a related matter, usually final wishes like these* are seldom carried out. Perhaps you just simply don't want a lot spent on your funeral. After the wife** hears the right kinds of suggestions along the lines of showing respect, matters of status, etc, you instead wind up in the most expensive coffin with all the trimmings for the funeral generally

there are things you can do, like prepay for the whole business the way you want it

* this particular one sounds like a joke of course
** yeah could be the husband, but I'm relating a common outcome

preplan. hah. "We see you have a pre-plan, but for just $399 more we can bury him in this gold trimmed casket. We throw in two bouquets of free flowers, plus you get a 10% off on the next funeral."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
April 6th, 2023 at 3:13:23 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
On a related matter, usually final wishes like these* are seldom carried out.

I doubt she will, she may be busy trying to collect the life insurance and completely forget about me.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
April 7th, 2023 at 2:46:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
well, ask to be cremated and going into the dumpster should be no problem
April 7th, 2023 at 5:29:34 AM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
well, ask to be cremated and going into the dumpster should be no problem

Absolutely not. I want my body hoisted into the dumpster. If it is discovered afterward cremation would be fine but I want the full Walmart experience.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
May 15th, 2023 at 5:53:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Canadians have been polled over MAID ... generally they are very supportive. In some cases, the support is a bit shocking. A "Research Co." poll in particular is eyebrow-raising

- over 25% give thumbs up to "poverty" being a valid reason
- 28% to "homelessness"
- 43% to "mental illness"
- 50% to "disability"
- 51% to inability to receive treatment in health services

https://researchco.ca/2023/05/05/maid-canada-2023/
May 15th, 2023 at 10:22:05 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Canadians have been polled over MAID ... generally they are very supportive. In some cases, the support is a bit shocking. A "Research Co." poll in particular is eyebrow-raising

- over 25% give thumbs up to "poverty" being a valid reason
- 28% to "homelessness"
- 43% to "mental illness"
- 50% to "disability"
- 51% to inability to receive treatment in health services

https://researchco.ca/2023/05/05/maid-canada-2023/

Valid reason? How about your autonomy? Who should be able to withhold MAID services because THEY don’t like YOUR reason?
May 15th, 2023 at 11:32:51 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Quote: SOOPOO
Valid reason? How about your autonomy? Who should be able to withhold MAID services because THEY don’t like YOUR reason?
Do you really want the state to get involved with assisted suicide? MAID should not be assisted suicide per se ... it should be instead a merciful assistance to the end of a life that was ending anyway, one step beyond allowing the termination of life support by machine for someone who will never be able to live again without such. I'm mostly OK with that kind of MAID

I'm a homeless person and that's my only problem? The state is going to help me exit this life? Canada hasn't gone that far yet, but the poll shows some would support it. I guess in your view you wouldn't mind seeing that going on ... I wonder if you are just arguing for the sake of argument
May 15th, 2023 at 3:35:42 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Do you really want the state to get involved with assisted suicide? MAID should not be assisted suicide per se ... it should be instead a merciful assistance to the end of a life that was ending anyway, one step beyond allowing the termination of life support by machine for someone who will never be able to live again without such. I'm mostly OK with that kind of MAID

I'm a homeless person and that's my only problem? The state is going to help me exit this life? Canada hasn't gone that far yet, but the poll shows some would support it. I guess in your view you wouldn't mind seeing that going on ... I wonder if you are just arguing for the sake of argument

Not really. I’ve always believed that suicide should not be ‘prevented’. That doesn’t mean I don’t want to allocate resources to counseling, suicide prevention hotlines, psychiatric access, etc…. Hopefully you can convince the suicidal to reconsider.

But I don’t want the state to take away my right to decide to end my life if I chose to. I can understand your stance if the only thing you disagree with me on is the government involvement in helping someone achieve their goal of a peaceful, painless suicide.
Page 2 of 5<12345>