Google: People Also Ask

September 28th, 2023 at 3:18:34 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
some member over at WoV joined years ago, almost never posted, then recently got suspended for spam. Just weird. I wonder if sometimes someone goes to the trouble of seeing if they can steal the identity, such as it is, by seeing if such person used an easily guessed password. Probably not, why bother? But why bother waiting years to post spam?

>>>

passwords not to use

Do not use your network username as your password. -Don't use easily guessed passwords, such as “password” or “user.” -Do not choose passwords based upon details that may not be as confidential as you'd expect, such as your birth date, your Social Security or phone number, or names of family members.
__

What are the top 100 passwords?

100 Most Common Passwords of 2022

password.
guest.
qwerty.
[truncated]
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
September 28th, 2023 at 1:05:55 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 51
Quote: odiousgambit
some member over at WoV joined years ago, almost never posted, then recently got suspended for spam. Just weird. I wonder if sometimes someone goes to the trouble of seeing if they can steal the identity, such as it is, by seeing if such person used an easily guessed password. Probably not, why bother? But why bother waiting years to post spam?

>>>

passwords not to use

Do not use your network username as your password. -Don't use easily guessed passwords, such as “password” or “user.” -Do not choose passwords based upon details that may not be as confidential as you'd expect, such as your birth date, your Social Security or phone number, or names of family members.
__

What are the top 100 passwords?

password.
guest.
qwerty.
[truncated]

About 40 years ago I used a very simple password that today seems ridiculous. Today I tend to customize a password to the site that I am visiting.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
September 29th, 2023 at 12:01:07 PM permalink
odiousgambit
welp! meaning

disappointment, resignation

an informal variant of well used to indicate disappointment, resignation, or acceptance at the beginning of an utterance: Welp, this might not work out for us after all.
__

Our earliest written evidence of 'welp' is from a 1946 article titled "Thoughts on 'Yep' and 'Nope. '" Yes, it is a real word.
__

Etymology. From Middle Dutch welp, from Old Dutch welp, from Proto-Germanic *hwelpaz.
September 29th, 2023 at 1:56:12 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
A variation of the interjection Hot dog!, hot diggity dog is an expression of joy or surprise recorded as early as 1923. Legendary performer Al Jolson is famously said to have uttered “Hot diggity dog!
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 1st, 2023 at 3:26:12 AM permalink
odiousgambit
watching a movie with an ingenue character

I've always been struck by the definition of ingenue meaning a naive person [usually used for a young woman] and the definition of disingenuous which in usage strikes me as kind of the same thing

>>>

ingenue and disingenuous word connection?

I believe you are confusing two words which have similar sound and similar origin but different meanings. “Ingenuous" means sincere, frank, candid, artless or honest. It is often used incorrectly to mean “ ingenious". Its antonym is “disingenuous" (noun “disingenuousness”) and means artful, deceitful, not sincere.

>>>

this is a response from Quora, which often is dubious [the wiki problem] however probably right here. I guess this helped me 'get it'
October 2nd, 2023 at 3:54:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
never mind, apologies to anyone who was up early and saw it
October 2nd, 2023 at 3:58:16 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I'll make a new post maybe. I think the problem is, some of the images that you find are confusing
October 2nd, 2023 at 4:12:30 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Stay tuned. I can say one thing. The three stars that point south-ish in Orion at all times I can spot every time and use them to figure out where south is
October 2nd, 2023 at 5:02:17 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11

I recall when that member joined, recognising that he had all the hallmarks of an SEO spammer in waiting. Non-US IP, association with another member joining the same day etc. It took a long long time for him to deliver his payload. I don't think his password got compromised.
October 2nd, 2023 at 5:09:12 AM permalink
OnceDear
Threads: 11

password.
guest.
qwerty.
[truncated]
When I worked in IT, colleagues were TOLD to use lastpass for storing the multitude of passwords. As a support guy, I'd often find that their MASTER password would be way up on that list. Also, LastPass would be set to auto open and stay open, with its own password stored in the browser.