Google: People Also Ask

Page 1 of 711234>Last »
May 28th, 2023 at 3:43:21 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Can you still make a person to person call?

The alternative, in which the calling party agrees to talk to whoever answers the telephone, is known as station-to-station. Since the introduction of direct dial telephone service and the subsequent drop in the price of long distance telephone calls, person-to-person service has virtually disappeared.

Wikipedia follow up: In the Bell System, an operator-assisted call had a 50% premium, but only on the initial period, usually three minutes.

A person-to-person call is an operator-assisted call in which the calling party requests to speak to a specific party and not simply to anyone who answers. The caller is not charged for the call unless the requested party is reached. This method was popular when telephone calls were relatively expensive.

>>>

the search "how much would a person to person call cost today? " ... does not get sensical responses
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
May 29th, 2023 at 1:10:56 PM permalink
odiousgambit
What causes bad luck in gambling?

One of the oddest gambling superstitions is avoiding crossing legs while sitting at the table. It is believed that crossing your legs can bring bad luck to a gambler. So, whenever a player is at the table, it is advisable to avoid crossing legs to avoid losing money.
May 29th, 2023 at 3:54:48 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: odiousgambit
What causes bad luck in gambling?

Me
i walk up to a craps table and bet the dont pass
People at the table believe I am bad luck
Gamblers are the dumbest people on the planet
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 30th, 2023 at 2:49:29 AM permalink
odiousgambit
What is the scariest AI theory?

It's called Roko's Basilisk. This thought experiment posits that the creation of an artificial intelligence will lead to an all-powerful, future artificial intelligence that will retroactively punish anyone who did not help bring it into existence. It's been described by many as the scariest thought experiment ever.
May 31st, 2023 at 2:46:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Who first used knives and forks?

Although the first forks were used in ancient Egypt, Greece and Rome, the two-tined instruments were used only as cooking tools at the time. It wasn't until the Middle Ages that a smaller version was used for eating by wealthy families of the Middle East and Byzantine Empire.
May 31st, 2023 at 5:56:52 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Can you still make a person to person call?

The alternative, in which the calling party agrees to talk to whoever answers the telephone, is known as station-to-station. Since the introduction of direct dial telephone service and the subsequent drop in the price of long distance telephone calls, person-to-person service has virtually disappeared.

Wikipedia follow up: In the Bell System, an operator-assisted call had a 50% premium, but only on the initial period, usually three minutes.

A person-to-person call is an operator-assisted call in which the calling party requests to speak to a specific party and not simply to anyone who answers. The caller is not charged for the call unless the requested party is reached. This method was popular when telephone calls were relatively expensive.

>>>

the search "how much would a person to person call cost today? " ... does not get sensical responses

The only people I ever know that used person-to-person was to send a signal but avoid paying for the call.
The President is a fink.
May 31st, 2023 at 6:23:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
This thread reminded me that I wanted to look if there was still a pay phone outside the convenance store on the corner. i think it's gone, but not sure.

Using station to station you could announce some expected event to relatives like birth of baby using agreed code word. I guess it was useful if you just wanted to get a message to anyone in the household even if you didn't get the person you wanted.

Oh, I guess that was person to person for message. Been a long time.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 1st, 2023 at 12:42:19 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Why do people not smell themselves?

In fact, according to research published in Nature, your nose can detect about one trillion smells! But your own underarms could reek and you might not be able to tell: Humans are prone to what scientists call olfactory fatigue; our sense of smell just gets plain tired out by familiar odors and stops detecting them
June 1st, 2023 at 5:51:35 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Why do people not smell themselves?

In fact, according to research published in Nature, your nose can detect about one trillion smells! But your own underarms could reek and you might not be able to tell: Humans are prone to what scientists call olfactory fatigue; our sense of smell just gets plain tired out by familiar odors and stops detecting them

That's very true. That's how cat people (Meaning people with more than...I don't know...three?) can find the smells of their houses acceptable.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
June 3rd, 2023 at 4:50:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Why do things turn into crabs?

Carcinisation (or carcinization) is an example of convergent evolution in which a crustacean evolves into a crab-like form from a non-crab-like form. The term was introduced into evolutionary biology by L. A. Borradaile, who described it as "one of the many attempts of Nature to evolve a crab".
Page 1 of 711234>Last »