Contraception history in U.S. - shocking - to me anyway

Page 1 of 3123>
October 9th, 2023 at 4:46:56 AM permalink
PotPie
Threads: 5

it's very hard to fathom considering all of the illness and unwanted pregnancies that these policies caused but -

contraception was not fully legal for everyone in the U.S. until 1972 -

from Wiki:

"In 1965, the Supreme Court ruled in Griswold v. Connecticut that it was unconstitutional for the government to prohibit married couples from using birth control.

Also in 1965, 26 states prohibited birth control for unmarried women.

Despite opposition, attorney Bill Baird fought for five years until Eisenstadt v. Baird legalized birth control for all Americans on March 22, 1972"

incredible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control_in_the_United_States

the foolish sayings of a rich man pass for words of wisdom by the fools around him
October 9th, 2023 at 9:12:47 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 96
In days of old

When knights were bold

And rubbers not invented;

They'd tie a sock

Around their cock

And babies were prevented.
October 9th, 2023 at 9:25:33 AM permalink
GenoDRPh
Threads: 0
October 9th, 2023 at 11:52:26 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: PotPie

it's very hard to fathom considering all of the illness and unwanted pregnancies that these policies caused but -

contraception was not fully legal for everyone in the U.S. until 1972 -

from Wiki:

"In 1965, the Supreme Court ruled in Griswold v. Connecticut that it was unconstitutional for the government to prohibit married couples from using birth control.

Also in 1965, 26 states prohibited birth control for unmarried women.

Despite opposition, attorney Bill Baird fought for five years until Eisenstadt v. Baird legalized birth control for all Americans on March 22, 1972"

incredible

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birth_control_in_the_United_States

It’s really a shame Democrat policies allowed all of this.
The President is a fink.
October 9th, 2023 at 2:21:09 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: AZDuffman
It’s really a shame Democrat policies allowed all of this.

It's a good thing, then, they changed their minds. It's too bad the GOP regressed backwards on this.
October 9th, 2023 at 2:30:53 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: GenoDRPh
It's a good thing, then, they changed their minds. It's too bad the GOP regressed backwards on this.

I don't know that the GOP was ever pro-abortion. I do not see how being pro-abortion is a good thing. I was just wondering if you and the other libs here realized these were all Democrat policies, similar to Jim Crow policies of the era.
The President is a fink.
October 9th, 2023 at 2:52:42 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: AZDuffman
I don't know that the GOP was ever pro-abortion. I do not see how being pro-abortion is a good thing. I was just wondering if you and the other libs here realized these were all Democrat policies, similar to Jim Crow policies of the era.

That's the best you can do, "Democrats were racists 150 years ago"? Too bad it's the GOP who are the racists of today. Own it!
October 9th, 2023 at 2:53:29 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
That's the best you can do, "Democrats were racists 150 years ago"? Too bad it's the GOP who are the racists of today. Own it!

Oh yes, that’s one of his go-tos when he can’t think of anything else to deflect with. Does it all the time.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
October 9th, 2023 at 2:59:51 PM permalink
GenoDRPh
Quote: ams288
Oh yes, that’s one of his go-tos when he can’t think of anything else to deflect with. Does it all the time.

It's telling to me that he'd rather be a member of a political party that is racist today, rather than be a member of a party that isn't anymore.
October 9th, 2023 at 3:04:13 PM permalink
AZDuffman

And how is the GOP racist? You people never say how.

OTOH, the Democrat Party openly says skin color is important in hiring and college admissions. Democrats are the ones who openly say minorities are not as capable so need their help.

Democrats are still racists.
The President is a fink.
Page 1 of 3123>