I hereby declare the Steelers season officially over.

Page 1 of 212>
September 24th, 2013 at 5:44:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Self-explanatory.

Anyway, the defense remains rather good, all things considered. I say despite receiving 33 points last game (one score was given up directly by the offense). But when the offense gives up the ball more often than they convert a third down, no defense is going to help. Not even the Steel Curtain.

So for the remainder of the year I'll be rooting for my perenial sentimental favorites, the Dolphins (I'm sure their strong start is a tad illusory, but we'll see). And also for the Broncos. I dont' care for them in aprticular, but I'd love to see a starting QB win a Super Bowl for two teams. If anyone can do it, it would be Manning the Elder (Archie being Manning the Eldest and Eli being Manning the Younger).
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 24th, 2013 at 8:22:28 PM permalink
s2dbaker
Threads: 13
Let's Go Mets
September 25th, 2013 at 12:54:19 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Didn't Nareed abandon the Steelers last year as well?

I didn't abandon the LOLions through their 0-16 run. It makes the good times so much sweeter.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
September 25th, 2013 at 1:01:19 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: TheCesspit
Didn't Nareed abandon the Steelers last year as well?

That curse proved so effective, the Ravens won the Super Bowl. Be wary of my disappointment ;)

Quote:
I didn't abandon the LOLions through their 0-16 run. It makes the good times so much sweeter.

To be strict about it, I'm not abandoning the Steelers. I just don't see the point of investing any more hope in them for this year, as I didn't last year. Historically 0-3 teams don't do well the rest of the season.
September 25th, 2013 at 4:12:36 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Nareed

So for the remainder of the year I'll be rooting for my perenial sentimental favorites, the Dolphins...

Welcome to the club. Fan since '84... as much as one can be a fan having not watched a game in two years.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 25th, 2013 at 4:37:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Welcome to the club. Fan since '84... as much as one can be a fan having not watched a game in two years.

Thanks, but I've been there for a while. As I said, "perenial sentimental favorites." In fact, the only game I've ever attended was a playoff against Seattle in Ye Olde Orange Bowl in 83 or 84. We got lousy seats behind the end zone (you miss about half the game, give or take), but we also saw 3 TDs right there! And I got to see Marino play live.
October 1st, 2013 at 8:15:08 AM permalink
Nareed
How about that? The Steelers caught a break for next week, guaranteed not to lose a game :)

For week five I'll break with tradition and deliberately tune into a Dallas game. It will be fun to see what Manning and his Broncos do with them.
October 8th, 2013 at 7:46:13 AM permalink
Nareed
I must admit I expected Denver to beat Dallas something like 35-7 or 42-21 or something like that.

But in a way it's worse for the Cowboys to score 48 points and still lose >;)

At that, despite the interception that finally lost the game, it seems unfair for Dallas fans to blame it all on Romo. One of my Laws of Football states "A game lost in one play was lost in much more than that one play." Meaning, in this case, if you score 48 points and still lose then your defense is not doing all it should do to win the game.

In the meantime, the Steelers had their best week thus far this season. Perhaps they could take a long (season-long) bye and hire a college team to lose the rest of the season for them.

The Jets are on track to disappoint their fans in the playoffs. It's a law of nature, I think, that the Jets won't ever win a Super Bowl (What? They already did? Well, that was when they played for a league that no longer exists, so, uh, well, that is, ah.... Maybe their current QB, whoever it happens to be, ought to do a pantyhose ad).
October 18th, 2013 at 11:10:12 AM permalink
Nareed
Regarding the previous post, the Steelers managed their first win of the year, which is good. It's better than it seems as 1) They're no longer in danger of matching Detroit's record for most losses in a season, 2) They managed not to be the last team in the league without a win, and 3) They beat the Jets (Actually I like the jets, but they are the most promising team in the League: they keep promising this year they'll win the Super Bowl).

On other news, the Manning brothers have combined for a .500 average. As the Giants have their best chance at a win this week, that symmetry may be broken.

A related curious fact now. When I make the joke above, I usually add "and they have an average of 1.5 Super Bowl Rings each, too." Not as funny, I know, but most people will then say "Right. Peyton has two and Eli one." <rolleyes>. Menaing if Peyton wins his second one this year, no one will remember Eli Manning ever existed! (Poor Eli). Poor Eli Manning would have to lead his team 19-0 in order to equal his brother in the public estimate. That's just sad, and very, very, very hard to do.

Finally I've a vague Caesar and Augustus analogy, inexact since they wre not brothers, which may fit...
October 18th, 2013 at 2:32:21 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
Quote: Nareed
The Jets are on track to disappoint their fans in the playoffs. It's a law of nature, I think, that the Jets won't ever win a Super Bowl (What? They already did? Well, that was when they played for a league that no longer exists, so, uh, well, that is, ah.... Maybe their current QB, whoever it happens to be, ought to do a pantyhose ad).

Was that game a Super Bowl, or an NFL/AFL World Championship Game? I know I can look it up, but it's more fun to guess. I know the first two weren't Super Bowls. I think they became Super Bowls when the two leagues merged. Was that '68, or '70?

It became official starting with the 1969 ('68 season) game. The first game was NFL/AFL World Championship, the second the same but with Super Bowl its unofficial name. The name "Super Bowl" was officially adopted for the third game, in advance of the merger.
Page 1 of 212>