Cooking thread

Page 1 of 961234>Last »
October 29th, 2012 at 9:41:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Oh, why not...

I'll be reposting old blog links here (who's gonna stop me?), as well as new recipes and cooking tips.

Yesterday I did make meatloaf and it turned out really well. Very moist and tasty, with a nice glaze on top. I've realized I do ahve some innate talent for cooking, and I quickly get a good feel for recipes with minimal need for learning. I was very nervous, really, about doign meatloaf. But it was rather easy, all things considered, and my adaptations worked very well. I think I've also developed my skills with practice. By now I can raid the fridge and apntry, and come up with a reasonable dish in short order.

Next on the agenda is trying to cook deserts. I should start wih a nice, creamy cake with a filling and icing or frosting, too. The challnege is to do it low-fat and with no added sugar. the meatloaf is not low fat, as it contains ground beef and two eggs. But it is rather good.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 31st, 2012 at 7:38:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Here's my recipe for meatloaf:

http://kathyscookingcorner.blogspot.mx/2012/10/juicy-meatloaf.html

It's really good.
November 1st, 2012 at 10:33:43 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
So...1 kg is about 2 lbs. I like the idea of a glaze mixed in rather than using milk like the old recipes call for. It should make it less bland. I'll make sandwiches with leftover meatloaf and they always need some A1 sauce to liven them up. But I'll dip toast in A1 if I'm out to breakfast even if I'm not having steak and eggs so I'm no judge of what needs A1 sauce.
This space for rent
November 1st, 2012 at 12:53:34 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FarFromVegas
So...1 kg is about 2 lbs. I like the idea of a glaze mixed in rather than using milk like the old recipes call for.

Milk?

I'd say one advantage of not having formal instruction is that I don't learn to make the mistakes that are accepted as common practice. Instead I make my own mistakes ;) But, really, milk? I don't think that would go well with meatloaf, or with beef overall, unless it were mixed with other things. I know someone who injects milk into turkey before palcing it in the oven for several hours. It always comes out bone dry.

Quote:
It should make it less bland.

Oh, it isn't bland at all.
November 1st, 2012 at 1:06:30 PM permalink
FarFromVegas
Quote: Nareed
Milk?

I'd say one advantage of not having formal instruction is that I don't learn to make the mistakes that are accepted as common practice. Instead I make my own mistakes ;) But, really, milk? I don't think that would go well with meatloaf, or with beef overall, unless it were mixed with other things. I know someone who injects milk into turkey before palcing it in the oven for several hours. It always comes out bone dry.

Classic Better Homes and Gardens recipe here. I have the old cookbook from before the microwave shortcuts were added to directions. There is a meatloaf recipe on packets of Lipton onion soup/dip mix, but that just makes it salty and the dehydrated onions remind me of nail clippings, so I don't use that.

I don't make meatloaf often but I'd probably increase the times in the repertoire if it were tastier. I was thinking of mixing in taco seasoning since my third son is a tacoholic and I love cumin.
This space for rent
November 5th, 2012 at 8:05:23 AM permalink
Nareed
Classic Better Homes and Gardens recipe here.

I saw it. I still cringe when I think of addnig milk. Or rather, my inner cook does :)

Quote:
I don't make meatloaf often but I'd probably increase the times in the repertoire if it were tastier. I was thinking of mixing in taco seasoning since my third son is a tacoholic and I love cumin.

Mine was really tasty.

Anyway, what is taco seasoning?
November 5th, 2012 at 8:12:49 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Quote: Nareed

Anyway, what is taco seasoning?

Mostly salt and chili pepper, with other spices. You brown ground beef or strips of boneless chicken and add the seasoning and water, then use the meat in tacos.
This space for rent
November 6th, 2012 at 8:14:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Mostly salt and chili pepper, with other spices. You brown ground beef or strips of boneless chicken and add the seasoning and water, then use the meat in tacos.

I see.

I'm not one to tell people what ingredients to use. Everyone has different tastes. But I prefer to do as much from scratch as I can. I'm still looking for a pizza sauce recipe that begins with "take some fresh tomatoes...." :)

To be honest, when I say "chicken broth" in my recipes, 11 times out of 10 I use low-fat, low-sodium bullion cubes, so....
November 8th, 2012 at 5:22:18 PM permalink
Nareed
I did cook last weekend, but I've hit a creative impasse. Or, in plain English, I coulnd't think of a new recipe and I cooked some of my "old" reliables.

And I'm pretty much still stuck for next week's recipes.
November 9th, 2012 at 6:20:06 AM permalink
boopsahoy
Threads: 1
Let me know if you need some chicken or veggie recipes! Ive been experimenting and came up with some good ones. (-:
Page 1 of 961234>Last »