Cooking thread

January 29th, 2015 at 9:26:06 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: FrGamble
We all have a three day weekend coming it is called the Superbowl! Do you have any suggestions for some nice appetizer type of dishes I could make?

I usually don't even eat during the game. Nor have I looked into party dishes as yet. Sorry.

If I think of anything I'll let you know.

I did make small pizzas using wheat flour tortillas. They were rather good, easy and quick. Pretty much slather pizza or spaghetti sauce on each tortilla, add your favorite shredded cheese, whatever toppings you want, and put them in the oven until the cheese melts. Careful, they fold even after being baked.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 29th, 2015 at 9:55:57 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: FrGamble
We all have a three day weekend coming it is called the Superbowl!

How do you get Monday off?

Besides, aren't you supposed to work on Sunday? ;)
January 30th, 2015 at 5:55:13 PM permalink
Nareed
Now I'm thinking about making the tortilla mini-pizzas for lunch tomorrow.

It's a reasonable choice, as 1) my electrolysis appointment got pushed to noon. I should be home by 1:30-2:00 pm and something quick and simple would be ideal, 2) I have a jar of pasta sauce I haven't used, 3) I found pepperoni, albeit sliced, at a nearby store.

I might try a twist and use provolone rather than a more conventional cheese, or add it to a more conventional mix.
February 3rd, 2015 at 3:00:07 PM permalink
Nareed
Things didn't quite work as planned. I did make the pizzas, and the chicken, but nothing more.

On the bright side, I discovered a new treat. The past few weeks I was sick with a really bad cold. During it I drank a lot of orange juice, in particular a bottled brand which was very sweet, only slightly sour, and very good. Every time I had it, I thought some coconut would go nicely with it.

So I bought some more juice and a liter of coconut cream. I mixed about 3/4 of a regular drinking glass of the OJ and the rest coconut cream. it was delicious. next I'll try it with a little vodka.

Oh, for the pizzas I used a commercially grated 6-cheese mix. it had mozzarella and provolone among others. pretty good and it melted easily. I also did find sliced pepperoni. I just added some oregano to the basic pasta sauce, cheese, topping and baked for 5 minutes in the toaster oven.
February 23rd, 2015 at 4:02:40 PM permalink
Nareed
My newest kitchen scheme is microwaving eggs.

See, I've been having breakfast at the office because I can beat a lot of traffic if I leave a few minutes earlier; the few minutes required for breakfast. But two slices of black bread with a couple of slices of ham and one of bacon (which I had today) doesn't make for a satisfying meal.

We have a microwave, and I could wrestle a toaster oven which may work (but then it may not). Therefore I'm considering cooking eggs in the microwave. I did it once at home to puzzling results. I think they cook even faster like that, so they become rubbery a lot easier. We'll see how it goes. I'll even look for recipes online.

utensils are not a problem. All I need is a fork, a plate (to nuke the bacon), a microwave safe bowl, and nothing else.
February 23rd, 2015 at 4:35:37 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Ugh and bleh.

My distaste for microwaves is only eclipsed by my distaste for air conditioning. They are vile, hateful appliances not fit for self respecting individuals =p

Liquids are acceptable. Hot chocolate, for example. I would also accept soups, as they follow the same liquid condition. OK, and maybe popcorn, because a popcorn machine is expensive and cooking it on the stove is messy. But anytime I see it being used for something else, it's an automatic cringe.

I wonder if that sulfur smell is going to permeate every time you use it now.

God, I hate microwaves ><
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 23rd, 2015 at 4:45:03 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Face
Ugh and bleh.

You eat with that mouth? ;)

Quote:
My distaste for microwaves is only eclipsed by my distaste for air conditioning. They are vile, hateful appliances not fit for self respecting individuals =p

I use mine 90% of the time to reheat leftovers and/or heat milk for mocha. The rest is to "cook" sandwich fillings (ie onions, ham, turkey "bacon"(*) and such). I won't wash a pan just to make a sandwich. Besides, the onions come out warm and fragrant.

Now I'll use one to actually cook something. That's exciting. I bet I can make something better than edible.

I've never tried to cook anything in an air conditioner. the Mythbusters, though, with the aid of a chef, cooked a meal by placing it in different places in a car (Engine, exhaust). and a lasagna in a dishwasher. Don't get any ideas.

(*) Fill-in the blanks "Turkey bacon is to bacon what ______ is to ______"
February 23rd, 2015 at 5:24:49 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I ain't got nuttin' but a microwave to cook with.... and I can tell you all them gadgets what claim to let you microwave eggs, they don't work. And every few months when you have to clean them, they never get clean at all.
February 26th, 2015 at 1:45:34 PM permalink
Nareed
This weekend I really, really want to try making spaghetti Carbonara. The recipe is simple enough, just with some tricky timing. The question is, will it keep for a few days?

Typically I cook on Saturday or Sunday and eat that for lunch during the week.
February 27th, 2015 at 5:43:58 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Anyone aware of a dish containing turmeric as a substantial ingredient rather than merely a small amount as a condiment or spice.