Cooking thread

May 26th, 2016 at 8:01:47 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
I like the idea of a slow cooker and using entire cans rather than measuring and mixing. I would suggest that the crushed garlic be allowed to oxidize first.
May 27th, 2016 at 5:28:28 PM permalink
Fleastiff
I just did onions, butter, cheese, milk, eggs. I had to use up the soon to be stale dated eggs. One hour at 350, receding heat,.... soon to be cool enough to find out how it tastes. Needless to say I had to buy a replacement Pyrex dish after the cat pushed the old one onto the floor.
May 30th, 2016 at 2:22:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Nareed
So I'm thinking:

caramelized onions and bell pepper with cubed, seared chicken breast. Deglaze with white wine, simmer, add chicken broth, balsamic vinegar, then lentils, and barley. Seasoned with pepper, oregano, fine herbs, cumin and paprika (for color). Perhaps add corn starch. Then mix with cooked rice.

I did all this, but between a long week and two very annoying episodes on Sunday, I forgot to take the bacon out of the fridge.

<sigh>
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 30th, 2016 at 3:05:43 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Uh... there ain't no bacon in your recipe ... but don't worry, soon the Internet of Things will exist for real and the refrigerator will remind you to remove the bacon.

As to my onions, butter, milk, cheese, eggs concoction, I've finally used up all the onions and all the eggs before they went bad. Its an okay dish, but its mainly just buttered onions so its really nothing special.

I also finished the lime water and discarded the lime mush; started again with the remaining lemons and I used large slices so as to avoid the mush that accumulated at the spigot and blocks it. So instead of lemon water its probably lemon rind water. oh well.
June 5th, 2016 at 10:20:06 AM permalink
Fleastiff
I finally just bought that bottled lime juice so I won't have slice things and deal with a spigot that gets jammed up.

On Edit: It turns out I bouht lemon juice instead of lime juice. Someday I will leaarn to read the labels.

Anyone know how to clean a spigot?
it is supposed to disassemble but it won't.
June 5th, 2016 at 1:21:58 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
I just made a giant 5 pound meatloaf, most
are about 2 pounds. It's in the slow cooker
on high for 4 hours, I might even take a pic
of it for posting.

Meatloaf is even better the 2nd and 3rd day.
Fry it and put sunny side eggs on top. Make
a fried meatloaf sandwich. Good stuff.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 7th, 2016 at 6:06:29 AM permalink
Fleastiff
cold meatloaf with tomato powder is real good too.

Question: Just what does a marinade do it it don't tenderize meat?
June 7th, 2016 at 10:22:04 AM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
cold meatloaf with tomato powder is real good too.

Question: Just what does a marinade do it it don't tenderize meat?
It adds flavor and it can tenderize if you add things like vinegar or citrus or a tenderizing powder.
June 7th, 2016 at 12:38:15 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Quote: pew
It adds flavor and it can tenderize if you add things like vinegar or citrus or a tenderizing powder.
Can I just use the same vinegar that comes 2.43 for a gallon...white vinegar; or does it have to be this balsalmic stuff at five dollars a bottle. I was going to buy this real cheap stew meat this morning, but I know I gots to do something with it.
June 7th, 2016 at 4:15:05 PM permalink
pew
Threads: 4
Quote: Fleastiff
Can I just use the same vinegar that comes 2.43 for a gallon...white vinegar; or does it have to be this balsalmic stuff at five dollars a bottle. I was going to buy this real cheap stew meat this morning, but I know I gots to do something with it.
Apple cider is good. White is fine but you need other flavors. You cant just soak it in vinegar alone. You need to make something like you would put on a salad. Dressing wise. As far as stew meat goes there is a reason they call it that. If you want it to be tender you have to STEW IT!