Google Chromecast

Page 2 of 5<12345>
January 6th, 2014 at 3:48:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
It's too bad they don't have "Logan's Run." It's one of my favortie SF movies. What's impressive is the caliber of the actors, given the roles they play. And while the effects are well and truly dated, the City's architecture holds up rather well as "futuristic." Or what I like to call "Retro-futuristic c. mid-1970s." And there isn't even time travel in it! ;)

Then, too the City's computer's voice announcing matter-of-factly a bunch of people are due to be executed is rather creepy. And even that's topped by the robot Box later on, when Logan and Jessica run into him.

What I'd really like is to read the novel. I really should look it up in the Kindle store...

Oh, the 70s had plenty of disaster moies (Earthquake, The Poseidon Adventure, Towering Inferno, among others) and SF movies of the period tended towards the apocalyptic or post-apocalyptic in immitation, I think, of such movies. Ergo there are several rather good dytopian movies like Logan's Run, Rollerball (overrated, but viewable) and of course Soylent Green.

Latter dystopians may have better effects, but they fall far short. The exception being 1984, which is also rather hard to find.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 26th, 2014 at 8:49:55 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
I watched a few episodes of TNG yesterday. It's interesting how some eps hold up decades later while some don't. For example, "Yesterday's Enterprise" barely held me interested, while "The Best of Both Worlds" kept me riveted to my seat even though I knew all that would happen.

I have never seen all of this show. Some of the episodes (Home Soil season 1, episode 17) are stupid and low budget.
January 27th, 2014 at 7:17:35 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
I have never seen all of this show. Some of the episodes (Home Soil season 1, episode 17) are stupid and low budget.

There are many low budget eps in theat show, and in the suceeding ones, too. Come on, it was on syndication without a big network backing them. Even B5, which held a story arc together for five years, faced the same limitations.

Anyway, "Yesterday's Enterprise" is regarded by the fans as one of the best episodes. There's time travel, a long glimpse at an alternate universe without a ridiculously simplistic moral inversion, a character returns from the dead, and there are even consequences from it later in the show. But I was disappointed by it a bit upon re-watching it.

"The Best of Both Worlds," on the other hand, has the Borg invade the Federation, kidnap and assimialte Captain Picard, and more. Despite knowing how things turn out, you do feel the desperation in the characters and the direness of the situation. I think in part the empty gestures help. For example, with a ship in need of repairs and a missing captina, Riker tells the admiral the Enterprise will get to Wolf 359, where the Federation will make its stand, even if they arrive late. Worf declares the Borg lack honor and that is their greatest weakness. The admiral reminesces about Picard back in Starfleet Academy. Things like that You feel everyone's determined to do something, but they don't know what they can possibly do that would actually help. I feel that every time I see the B5 scene where Jeff Sinclair, commanding a fighter wing, instructs "Nothing gets through no matter what."
February 4th, 2014 at 6:55:34 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Cutting the Cord Is a Cable Myth

This writer argues that cord cutting is largely a myth. In fact the largest cable companies are losing subscribers, but the losses are more than made up by new users of satellite and smaller cable companies with better service. The number of people giving up on radio frequency based television in favor of digital media is actually a small number.

I am skeptical, largely because I know so many people who claim to have cut out cable TV.

I am filing this under Google Chromecast, because it perceived as the most effective cord cutting device made so far. Not because it has the best features, but because of it's small size and low price.
February 5th, 2014 at 6:46:44 AM permalink
Nareed
I am skeptical, largely because I know so many people who claim to have cut out cable TV.

It depends on what you want.

Platform aside, what can you get over the internet? If you can get new shows, old shows, movies, news and sports, all on your terms and at the time of your choosing, then you can cut the cord. Whether that is more or less expensive is a different matter. If you can't get all that, you can still cut the cord, but you'll live with diminished options.

I mostly use the Chromecast on weekends, usually to watch old shows. As of now I can't get new shows over the itnernet, nor much in the way of news and nothing in the way of sports (i.e. Football)
February 5th, 2014 at 6:49:00 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW Google released a Chromecast development kit widely. I expect new apps soon which surely will increase the "casting" options all over. In particular I expect an app to let you "cast" from other non-"casting" apps.

I also read the Chromecast won't work at most hotels, but I don't know if it is due to a lack of HDMI ports or due to the WiFi available at hotels. After all, it may be you can't sign in the Chromecast as well as the tablet at the same time.
February 6th, 2014 at 6:18:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I also read the Chromecast won't work at most hotels, but I don't know if it is due to a lack of HDMI ports or due to the WiFi available at hotels.

It is for neither of those reasons. Chromecast can't be used on any public Wi-Fi networks. But normally the only public wi-fi network you would try it on is in a hotel. You are unlikely to walk into a Starbucks and try to take over the television.

Most hotels, even if you get on the wifi, disable peer to peer communication, so you won't be able to control it.
February 6th, 2014 at 7:02:47 AM permalink
Nareed
You are unlikely to walk into a Starbucks and try to take over the television.

Back when the Palm PDAs ruled, I'd use mine, when possible, to lower the volume of TVs at some restaurants :)

Quote:
Most hotels, even if you get on the wifi, disable peer to peer communication, so you won't be able to control it.

That amkes sense. And I suppose it rpedates Chromecast, but still if they let you stream movies there'd be zero chance you'd pay for the hotel's pay-per-view service anyway.
February 6th, 2014 at 7:19:01 AM permalink
Pacomartin
That amkes sense. And I suppose it rpedates Chromecast, but still if they let you stream movies there'd be zero chance you'd pay for the hotel's pay-per-view service anyway.

Hotels no more want to provide you with a "free" alternative to their pricey in-room pay-per-view movies than they want you to know that there's a nearby drugstore with the same items as the minibar available at a fraction of the price.

The following advice is offered by a blogger who spends a lot of time in hotels.
I pre-loaded my Nexus 7 tablet with several TV shows I wanted to watch. Then I turn on my phone WiFi hotspot and connect the Chromecast to it using the tablet to configure it. After that I use the Avia app to cast the local tablet content to the TV. Works great and no data charges. The weakness of this method is that you need two devices to make it work. The phone disables WiFi when the hotspot is on, so it can't configure the Chromecast.
February 6th, 2014 at 7:36:57 AM permalink
Nareed
The following advice is offered by a blogger who spends a lot of time in hotels.

Thanks.

Too abd I lack a phone with hotspot capabilities (the price of using only the company phone).

Not that I miss wathcing movies or TV shows while in Vegas. Most of my time inside the room, aside from sleeping, takes palce in the early mornign and late evening. there are days I don't see the room, or the hotel, between 11 am and 10 pm at all. But it would be nice from time to time. Sometimes I will go to the room to rest, mostly after a busy half day shopping at the outlet malls.
Page 2 of 5<12345>