Google Chromecast

Page 5 of 5« First<2345
September 30th, 2015 at 6:32:07 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
The new Chromecasts (and Chromecast audio) have just been announced. They are still $35.

As with all early info right after a release, the press has been distressingly vague and technical.

From what I was able to grasp, it seems interesting. But it also seems to depend a lot on the kind of phone you have (not a word about tablets as yet, apparently the hot new thing is now passé), which means someone with an antediluvian iphone 4s would be better off waiting for an upgrade first.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
September 30th, 2015 at 5:18:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
From what I can tell the version 2.0 of Chromecast video has three antennas to give you better wifi reception, and a cache that tries to anticipate what you will be watching so it is faster. While the improvements are noticeable, there is no compelling reason to throw out you old version Chromecast to upgrade. Of course, in a world where people are spending hundreds of dollars to upgrade from iPhone 6 to iPhone 6s, spending $35 to upgrade from Chromecast 1.0 to Chromecast 2.0 seems almost laughable.

The new Chromecast Audio is actually a bigger breakthrough. Sonos sells almost the exact same product as the Chromecast Audio. It's called the Sonos Connect, and it basically turns your regular speakers into Sonos speakers. It costs $350. The Chromecast Audio costs $35, and it lets you use the apps you want to use to control your music. If Google's got the audio quality even at an adequate level, then it's difficult to see it not becoming very popular.

Although a lot of speakers have wireless connection using bluetooth, the wifi connection promises to be much more reliable with a greater range.
October 1st, 2015 at 6:20:16 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
While the improvements are noticeable, there is no compelling reason to throw out you old version Chromecast to upgrade.

Apparently the new Chromecast app is the real killer app. I've no idea if it will work with the original Chromecast dongle.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
Page 5 of 5« First<2345