2014 Deadpool Picks

Page 2 of 4<1234>
March 25th, 2014 at 3:44:56 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
I'd bet LA before Toronto.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 25th, 2014 at 4:51:26 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit
I'd bet LA before Toronto.

Probably, but not as obvious as it looks.

The NFL wants a team in LA in the worst way. But Goddell (idiot) wants to move the NFL international in the worst way. Toronto has the benefit that it lets the Bills play in two places ala the Green Bay/Milwaukee Packers from years back.

The question is will Canadians give the team enough support? I can't see it being anything other than a 6/2 home game split if they did the two-stadium thing.
The President is a fink.
March 25th, 2014 at 6:55:41 PM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: AZDuffman

The NFL wants a team in LA in the worst way. But Goddell (idiot) wants to move the NFL international in the worst way. Toronto has the benefit that it lets the Bills play in two places ala the Green Bay/Milwaukee Packers from years back.

The question is will Canadians give the team enough support? I can't see it being anything other than a 6/2 home game split if they did the two-stadium thing.

The Toronto experiment was such a failure they cancelled it for the upcoming year. Golisano was interested in the $100 million Sabres, doubtful the Billion dollar Bills. It doesn't appear there will be a local savior. I'd bet on LA, but it will take a few years......
March 25th, 2014 at 7:09:25 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
I just say Toronto because I hate my Buffalo-fan friends and it riles them. My love of the Leafs wouldn't translate or anything like that.

They are currently dumping $140mm into Ralph Wilson stadium, so part of me thinks there's not much to worry about. On the other hand, this is Western New York. Throwing $140mm at something that fails wouldn't even register a blip as one of the most retarded things that's happened here =p

Part of me hopes they stay. For a bit, at least. They're so horrible and my Buffalo-fan friends are so intolerable, I am guaranteed a yearly dose of the sweet, sweet nectar of their sadness and frustration. For a few more years, that'd be nice. Then it can culminate in orgasmic oblivion when they're sold to LA and I can bathe in tens of thousands of their simultaneously shattering hearts.

Oh, yes. That will be a sweet year indeed ^.^
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 25th, 2014 at 7:29:21 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: SOOPOO
The Toronto experiment was such a failure they cancelled it for the upcoming year. Golisano was interested in the $100 million Sabres, doubtful the Billion dollar Bills. It doesn't appear there will be a local savior. I'd bet on LA, but it will take a few years......

I don't see many locals having that much cash, not Charlie the Butcher anyways. What does the lead guy have to put up as a % of the team? Even if 51% that is a lot of green. OTOH there might be a carpetbagger savior out there. As big a wheel as an owner might be in LA they would be a figurative king in WNY.
The President is a fink.
March 25th, 2014 at 8:05:11 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman

The question is will Ontarians give them enough support.

On this coast, Seattle is the NFL team of choice. In the middle of the country, CFL is king. Quebec is hockey land. It only matters if Toronto will turn out enough over watching the Argonauts in the CFL. If the Bills experiment in TO failed, then it's not coming up here. I highly doubt it will go East to London either.

I agree, both ideas for international NFL are daft. Not that it shouldn't happen ever, but Godell is pushing too hard. Just like the NHL pushed to hard to send the ice product into places it has no real support. Or at least not pro-level support.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 26th, 2014 at 3:16:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: TheCesspit

I agree, both ideas for international NFL are daft. Not that it shouldn't happen ever, but Godell is pushing too hard. Just like the NHL pushed to hard to send the ice product into places it has no real support. Or at least not pro-level support.

While I think he is an idiot, it does appear that Goddell realizes he has sucked about every corner of revenue he can here in the USA. Eventually you kind of need to say, "x fans total, we are getting y dollars for z dollars per fan. How much more can we push?" But I don't much see it doing well internationally, not live anyways. OTOH there could be the Mexico Bills?
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2014 at 4:32:48 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
It's the National Football League, not the International. Even the one/two games overseas per year makes little sense. Adding yet more long-distance travel does not bode well for, you know, the players who have to travel and then play.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
March 26th, 2014 at 5:13:59 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: chickenman
It's the National Football League, not the International. Even the one/two games overseas per year makes little sense. Adding yet more long-distance travel does not bode well for, you know, the players who have to travel and then play.

For the same reason I always wondered why it was called the NHL and who the N was?

It makes no sense but Goddell makes no sense. He is the kind of guy who thought the Cadillac Cimmaron would have been a good market extension. I see it happening and being a disaster that takes 20 years to fix.
The President is a fink.
March 26th, 2014 at 6:49:24 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Goddell is one piece of work for sure. They seem to be hell bent to kill the goose that lays the golden egg but simply can't do it. Every laughable decision just flies because there is so much money involved for the various participants the smart thing is just sit and collect.

Speaking of money, he gets north of $35 million yearly and that seems way out of line. Yes, revenues up 1/3 from 2005 - 2012, but hard to give him much credit since the product itself and the vast ecosystem of promoters accounts for most of that IMO. And there are few if any businesses to compare.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
Page 2 of 4<1234>