2014 Deadpool Picks

Page 3 of 4<1234>
March 26th, 2014 at 2:54:14 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
For the same reason I always wondered why it was called the NHL and who the N was?

Especially considering the original 6 were international. (edit: the first run of the NHL in 1918 was 4 Canadian teams)

Quote:
It makes no sense but Goddell makes no sense. He is the kind of guy who thought the Cadillac Cimmaron would have been a good market extension. I see it happening and being a disaster that takes 20 years to fix.

Okay, I know I called him an idiot as well, but pulling down $35 million a year is not the sort of thing that happens to an idiot. Not for too long. But I question his tactics, but I think they are typical business tactics : grow the business. It may mean odd decisions, but in the end, isn't his job to increase revenue? Personally, I don't think it should be, but it seems to be the numbers don't lie.

I wonder what happens if the TV channels can no longer pay the amounts the NFL wants and needs to pay players (and make a profit for owners too).
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 26th, 2014 at 3:20:30 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: TheCesspit

Okay, I know I called him an idiot as well, but pulling down $35 million a year is not the sort of thing that happens to an idiot. Not for too long. But I question his tactics, but I think they are typical business tactics : grow the business. It may mean odd decisions, but in the end, isn't his job to increase revenue? Personally, I don't think it should be, but it seems to be the numbers don't lie.

I wonder what happens if the TV channels can no longer pay the amounts the NFL wants and needs to pay players (and make a profit for owners too).

He could be taking stupid pills and lessons?

Rozelle grew the NFL by seeing the power of TV, Tagliabue did it by the power of cable and satellite. Goddell does not seem to have such a tech breakthru in the near future. His drives seem to be internationalization and saturation. To me both are what the 1990s "family vegas" thing was--a way to get a short term boost but kill your target market.

He lost my respect forever when he said Limbaugh was not wanted but the convicted dog killer has all forgiven after 4 games. At that same time, Big Ben gets a 6 game suspension (later reduced to 4) for being *accused* of sexual misconduct but not even charged.

The game under him has changed to unwatchable shootouts where defense is deemphasized. This is in no small part to push fantasy leagues. Fantasy is OK, but God forbid someone bet on a game with a point spread.

The last two years I was remodeling this house and found other things to do with my Sundays. I suspect until the weather turns this year I will find them again.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2014 at 3:54:00 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: AZDuffman

The game under him has changed to unwatchable shootouts where defense is deemphasized.
Sounds like the NBA, eh?

I think the NFL is reaching the point of diminishing returns on the brand and is desperate to raise the bar with: two additional playoff games; one or two additional regular season games (over the players' dead bodies given the toll the 16 game schedule takes on them) and eyeing the international franchise(s).

As regards the playoffs, while I follow neither hockey nor basketball nor baseball it seems as though all but the last place teams get in. Hate to see that happen in the NFL. The better option IMNSHO is seeding where the better records get home field and the top X teams get in the tournament. This would avoid - don't laugh, things like this actually happened - a 7 - 9 or 8 - 8 team HOSTING a playoff game when a 10 - 6 or conceivably even an 11 - 5 team misses out. Unacceptable.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
March 27th, 2014 at 8:59:17 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: chickenman
Sounds like the NBA, eh?

The NFL is trying to boost women and minority viewers, both of whom tend to prefer high-scoring to defensive chess matches. The younger generation probably does as well, none understanding that there is a difference between watching two terrible offenses and two bend-but-don't-break defenses.

No thanks.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2014 at 9:24:24 AM permalink
chickenman
Good points. They probably are saturated in the traditional football audience so makes sense to go for penetration to the historic fringes. I see more and more women with the jerseys and a few years ago NFL Shop began advertising jerseys with a woman's cut. I laughed because many women I've known like the extra loose fit but what do I know, it may have been a huge success?
March 27th, 2014 at 10:57:31 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Good points. They probably are saturated in the traditional football audience so makes sense to go for penetration to the historic fringes. I see more and more women with the jerseys and a few years ago NFL Shop began advertising jerseys with a woman's cut. I laughed because many women I've known like the extra loose fit but what do I know, it may have been a huge success?

I remember those shirts and was surprised that Alyssa Millano was the genius behind the idea. I thought they were a decent idea because most women look really dumpy in the oversize, loose fitting ones. I can see some women liking them, though. Probably relates to how good they look in the women's cut ones.
The President is a fink.
March 27th, 2014 at 11:05:29 AM permalink
chickenman
Yes, some women like to always be sharp looking and trendy. Others (the majority if I trust my eyes) go with the cachet of wearing a man's shirt, like the dumpy look or the grunge image.
March 27th, 2014 at 4:07:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

As regards the playoffs, while I follow neither hockey nor basketball nor baseball it seems as though all but the last place teams get in. Hate to see that happen in the NFL.

The NFL sends 12 teams out of 32 total.

The NHL sends 16 teams out of 30 total.

MLB sends 10 out of 30.

I refuse to have evidence of anything NBA on my computer, and therefore do not know about that sad excuse for a sport.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
March 27th, 2014 at 4:43:44 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: Face
The NFL sends 12 teams out of 32 total.

The NHL sends 16 teams out of 30 total.

MLB sends 10 out of 30.

I refuse to have evidence of anything NBA on my computer, and therefore do not know about that sad excuse for a sport.

The NHL sends 4 teams too many, if you ask me. The NBA sends the same ratio. The ECHL used to send 8 teams out 9 in one division. That was stupid.

The NHL should send the 4 division winners through, with byes. The next best 4 in each conference go through. Everyone else goes to play golf. This would sadly end the RedWings streak this year (though 8th seed may still not happen for them), but whatever... play better throughout the season.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
March 27th, 2014 at 5:05:06 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: TheCesspit
This would sadly end the RedWings streak this year...

And eliminate the Leafs from the playoffs for all eternity =p
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
Page 3 of 4<1234>