Zen and the Love of Hockey

Page 3 of 3<123
December 15th, 2014 at 11:33:09 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Quote:
Highly paid athletes often burden their joints but later take solace that their pain killers are being paid for
Yeah, my narcotics are "free", and they were a great benefit for awhile. Like a lot of things, first hand knowledge of the harm they do is a lot different then reading or hearing about it. People seem more aware of the illegal street users and those problems. It's more intense right up close and personal, when the tolerance goes parabolic and they actually start to increase the pain. The kicker is when your colon goes ischemic. My gastroenterologist was talking to me about another ostomy just last week,and I believe long term use is somehow a contributing factor to cancer.

Quote:
If you go to a university track or a upscale but not particularly social gym you can often see people in their seventies and eighties working out regularly.
Jokingly, when I see one of those guys jog past my house, I want to hobble over and get my pellet gun and give them a single tap to the ass. It is obvious to me that they and I lived drastically different lives.
Quote:
And we sure don't blame them for our high health insurance premiums.
My father in law who passed two years ago, loved going to the gym, 3 days per week. He would be at the door waiting for it to open in the morning. The man was morally and physically a living example of how people should be. He also swam on the days he didn't lift weights. He went in the hospital for his 4th pacemaker procedure [they put in the wrong one] and caught pneumonia there and in his reduced condition from heart surgery, it killed him. So I don't know about the reduced cost of our old people. They seem to live long enough to need 2-6 new hips, and pacemakers, knees and appliances for a long time.

Its guys like Face or myself who go ahead and burn the candle at both ends [with a torch] that do cost society some money up front, but usually go ahead and die like people are supposed to. Knock 20-30 years off of a life hard lived, that adds up to quite a bit of savings to the "sick care" system.

Quote:
His retirement was not wracked with pain and doctors and hospitals.
The guy is an asshole, I tell ya. Must not have had a "real" job.

Quote:
. Often the poorest sailors are the most skillful. They have to be.
The best boat is borrowed.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
Page 3 of 3<123