What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Page 1 of 4361234>Last »
February 24th, 2014 at 11:51:44 AM permalink
HotBlonde
Threads: 2
So, before starting this new thread, I perused the 2 pages of movie threads here looking to see if anyone had yet posted a general movie thread. It appears not. So I'm starting one here, and I ask:

What movies have you seen lately?

Please share what you've seen recently (rentals, still in theaters, etc.) and what you thought about the movie, but please no spoilers!
February 24th, 2014 at 12:29:02 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: HotBlonde
So, before starting this new thread, I perused the 2 pages of movie threads here looking to see if anyone had yet posted a general movie thread. It appears not. So I'm starting one here, and I ask:

What movies have you seen lately?

Please share what you've seen recently (rentals, still in theaters, etc.) and what you thought about the movie, but please no spoilers!

The last thing worthy of getting me to a theatre was LotR: Return of the King. I don't go much. Not much worth watching.

I find I mostly just watch stuff I already watched and know I'll like. Fight Club, Saving Private Ryan, We Were Soldiers,... Miracle, Goon, Youngblood,... just got all three Might Ducks, that was a hoot =)... my movie watching is sparse indeed.

But for series, I cannot emphasize enough how bloody fantastic Game of Thrones is. Walking Dead was good, for about a season and a half. Ditto that for Breaking Bad. Sopranos, Deadwood, all the hits? Couldn't even get into them. But GoT has me riveted, all the way through three seasons, and I'm chomping at the bit to get my hands on season 4. It was the first thing on TV that wasn't a Leafs playoff game that made me jump out of my chair and scream at the TV in anger and sorrow.

Very graphic violence, tons of explicit nudity, a fair amount of incest, so be warned. But the drama is unprecedented. I've never had my emotions ravaged as violently as GoT has done. An epic masterpiece.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
February 24th, 2014 at 5:38:16 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I think the last one I saw at the cinema was "Atlas Shrugged II." I try to watch an indie or unknown flick on Netflix every weekend if I am home. It is weird, I like and then forget many of them.

One I kind of liked was "Wannabes" about a group of friends who decide to set up a bookmaking business. Eventually a mafia cappo takes the leader under his wing. Not great but not bad.
The President is a fink.
February 24th, 2014 at 6:55:39 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
For recent films, we've seen "American Hustle", "Captain Phillips", "Gravity", and "Lone Survivor". Each was worthwhile, and each was flawed in its own way, but none fatally; all were worth the price of admission.

My favorite was "American Hustle" because it was just so damn beautiful to look at. The plot is sort of a mess, but the actors are so incredible. There is so much going on inside each of them. That's where the drama is, and that's where the movie is. And that's why it's kind of flawed. But if you bring a little thought to it, you have to admire the humanity there.
February 24th, 2014 at 7:01:35 PM permalink
Mosca
On Netflix we watched "Deceptive Practice", about the life and mentors of Ricky Jay. I met Jay in person in '71, in a dorm room at Cornell. He had just dropped out recently, and he was friends with someone in another room. We all got amazingly stoned, and he threw cards all over the place, and showed some sleight of hand; he showed me how to palm a card, then wave your hand and swivel it to the back of your fingers, making it disappear. Nice guy. Good film.
February 24th, 2014 at 7:08:57 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 188
The last movie I saw in the theater was Danial Craig's most recent James Bond flick. (don't go very often) The last movie I rented was Behind the Candelabra.

Really different movies.

Looks like later this week, I may be seeing the Lego movie.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
February 24th, 2014 at 7:27:36 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
People still go to movies? Why? Netflix is 8
bucks a month. A movie has never come out
that I can't wait 6 months or a year to see.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
February 24th, 2014 at 7:47:54 PM permalink
Mosca
Quote: Evenbob
People still go to movies? Why? Netflix is 8
bucks a month. A movie has never come out
that I can't wait 6 months or a year to see.

Eh. It gets us out of the house during a long, cold, snowy winter. Big screen. Netflix at home means fewer jerks in the theater. The money is an insignificant difference, a non-factor.
February 25th, 2014 at 9:24:40 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Saw American Hustle. Fun sort of film, very gritty, dirty 70's film to the cinematography, and great performance by Christian Bale. And Jennifer Lawrence.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
February 25th, 2014 at 11:16:13 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: TheCesspit
Saw American Hustle. Fun sort of film, very gritty, dirty 70's film to the cinematography, and great performance by Christian Bale. And Jennifer Lawrence.

That is kind of an understated recommendation for a film with an Oscar acting nominations in all four categories plus Best Director and Best Picture.

Christian Bale nominated for Oscar (1 previous Oscar win)
Amy Adams nominated for Oscar (4 previous Oscar nominations)
Jennifer Lawrence nominated for Oscar (2 previous Oscar nominations with one win)
Bradley Cooper nominated for Oscar (1 previous Oscar nomination)
Jeremy Renner (2 previous Oscar nominations)
Page 1 of 4361234>Last »