Spanish Word of the Day

April 12th, 2014 at 7:14:46 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 13-4-14
Palabra: Querella

Today's SWD means dispute/feud.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with querer.

Ejemplo time.

Laurel y Hardy tuvieron una querella de como levantar el piano por la escalera. = Laurel and Hardy had a dispute over how to get the piano up the staircase.

I set the over/under on push-ups I owe for that ejemplo at 49.5.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 12th, 2014 at 7:40:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Pacomartin
Raj no puede hablar con las mujeres, a menos que está embriaga.

The last two words are wrong.

I'll spot you one: "estÉ"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 12th, 2014 at 8:35:09 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Raj no puede hablar con mujeres salvo esta embriagado.

See what Paco did. He's on the right track.
April 12th, 2014 at 8:36:52 PM permalink
Nareed
Laurel y Hardy tuvieron una querella de como levantar el piano por la escalera. = Laurel and Hardy had a dispute over how to get the piano up the staircase.

"....ACERCA de como SUBIR el...."

Quote:
I set the over/under on push-ups I owe for that ejemplo at 49.5.

To quote Victor Hugo "?"
April 12th, 2014 at 8:45:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with querer.

It has a common etymology with Latin queror (to complain), but not Spanish querer (to want).

Spanish queror and English quarrel are cognates.
April 13th, 2014 at 12:17:56 PM permalink
Nareed
Oh, on the last one, while saying "Laurel y Hardy" is technically correct, that's not how they're known in Mexico, and pressumably not in Latin America.

In Mexico they, and their movies, are known as "El Gordo y El Flaco." It's just one of those little tiny details that make communications difficult.
April 13th, 2014 at 12:39:48 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
Oh, on the last one, while saying "Laurel y Hardy" is technically correct, that's not how they're known in Mexico, and presumably not in Latin America.

In Mexico they, and their movies, are known as "El Gordo y El Flaco." It's just one of those little tiny details that make communications difficult.

For the last 15 plus years, Univision has had a show called "El Gordo y La Flaca". The stars are Raúl De Molina, and Lili Estefan, the niece of music mogul and producer Emilio Estefan, the husband of singer/songwriter Gloria Estefan.

Presumably no gringo knows that the show's title is a reference to Laurel and Hardy; I know I didn't.
April 13th, 2014 at 1:08:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Presumably no gringo knows that the show's title is a reference to Laurel and Hardy; I know I didn't.

Seems to me in Mexico and here gordo y flaco are common insults/terms of endearment. This is addressed in this video:

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 15th, 2014 at 6:57:52 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I have been told many times that the ability of Latinos to use "gordo/a" and "flaco/a" as harmless nicknames says everything about Anglo vs Latino culture.

Quote: Nareed
BTW, it's "holy week" (semana santa) in Mexico, I think called Easter elsewhere in the world, which seems to be the time Christians celebrate the time when Jesus took a vacation.

Nareed brings up an interesting observation.

Easter comes from Old English Easterdæg, from Eastre, from Proto-Germanic *Austron, a goddess of fertility and spring, probably originally of sunrise whose feast was celebrated at the spring equinox. Bede says Anglo-Saxon Christians adopted her name and many of the celebratory practices for their Mass of Christ's resurrection.

Rarely, the English adjective paschal obviously a cognate of Spanish pascual is used for "of or pertaining to Easter" . It is more accurate historically since it comes from Hebrew pesah ( Passover).
April 15th, 2014 at 1:45:32 PM permalink
Nareed
Nareed brings up an interesting observation.

I did?