Spanish Word of the Day

April 22nd, 2014 at 3:01:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068

Quote: Wikipedia definition of Argot
An argot is a secret language used by various groups — e.g. schoolmates, outlaws, colleagues, among many others — to prevent outsiders from understanding their conversations. The term argot is also used to refer to the informal specialized vocabulary from a particular field of study, occupation, or hobby, in which sense it overlaps with jargon.

The author Victor Hugo was one of the first to research argot extensively. He describes it in his 1862 novel Les Misérables as the language of the dark; at one point, he says, "What is argot; properly speaking? Argot is the language of misery."

The earliest known record of argot was in a 1628 document. The word was probably derived from the contemporary name, les argotiers, given to a group of thieves at that time.

Despite the definition above, "argot" (silent t) is traditionally associated with criminal groups particularly con-men and pickpockets. They confuse their marks by speaking their own special language.

Shakespeare uses the word "argot" in Hamlet in the gravedigger's scene. The gravedigger is trying to sound like a lawyer , but every time he means to say the Latin word ergo he says "argo" instead. The character is unintentionally comparing the argot of thieves with the jargon of lawyers.

Lunfardo is an argot originated and developed in the late 19th and early 20th centuries in the lower classes in Buenos Aires . Largely because of tango the word has broadened to refer to the dialect of the region. "Taita" is a Lunfardo word.
April 25th, 2014 at 5:19:25 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 25-4-14
Palabra: Flamante

Today's SWD means brand new.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with flamear (to flame).

Ejemplo time.

No me gusta ensuciar los zapatos flamantes. = I don't like to get my new shoes dirty.

Remember: Body parts and clothing are never possessive in Spanish.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 25th, 2014 at 8:04:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The word "flamante" is closely related to the word "flamear".

I think the word looks funny in describing shoes (unless they are Manola Blahniks)

I think it means "brand new" like a supernova (or a sports car or something equivalent).
April 26th, 2014 at 10:10:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
We have several interesting and problematic words. Expect some help after May8th when I'm back home.

For now, I think the best term for "amparo" is "succor." And come to think of it, that word might be related to the Spanish "socorro," which incidentally is also a female name.

Flamante requires a more extensive explanation. But it's not used to denote "new" as much as a kind of new, like "sparkling new," or "shining new" It is related to "flama"
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 26th, 2014 at 12:59:44 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
For now, I think the best term for "amparo" is "succor." And come to think of it, that word might be related to the Spanish "socorro," which incidentally is also a female name.

The dictionary says "¡socorro!" means "help!" I am guessing that it is not a common word.

The word "succor" (or succour in BrE) has been in English for at least 800 years, but it is very infrequently used. The more recent word, "assist" or the older word "help" are much preferred. If you see the word, it is usually in the context of religion (or in Louisiana where Cajun is spoken).

April 26th, 2014 at 3:04:27 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I knew socorro meant help. I'd hate to have that name. When people called my name I wouldn't be sure if they just wanted my attention or if there were some emergency.

Fecha: 26-4-14
Palabra: Azorar

Today's SWD means to embarrass.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast azorar y avergonzar.

Ejemplo time.

Cuando equivocado estoy azorado. = When I'm wrong I am embarrassed.
April 26th, 2014 at 3:30:52 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The word "azorar" seems to be better translated as "startle". It comes "azor" which is "goosehawk" in English.

April 26th, 2014 at 9:25:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 27-4-14
Palabra: ajetrearse

Today's SWD means to fidget.

Ejemplo time.

Gilligan se ajetrea cuando esta azoraba. = Gilligan fidgets when he is embarrassed.
April 27th, 2014 at 3:40:39 AM permalink
Pacomartin

I associate fidgeting as something you do with your fingers, or if you bounce your leg up and down.

The Spanish word implies more movement of your body, more like "bustling"
April 28th, 2014 at 7:53:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 28-4-14
Palabra: Buey

Today's SWD means ox.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find and explain the etymology and origins of the word. I wonder if maybe the word comes originates from the sound an ox makes. Or maybe the "good" root as in bueno, perhaps because it is a good thing to have an ox to pull around heavy objects.

Ejemplo time.

Pablo Bunyan tiene un buey azul. = Paul Bunyan has a blue ox.