Spanish Word of the Day

May 6th, 2014 at 6:57:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 7-5-14
Palabra: Garabatear

Today's SWD means to scribble. A related word is garabatos (scribbles).

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with garganta (throat).

Ejemplo time.

Jesus dobló a empezó a garabetear al suelo con su dedo. = Jesus bent down and started to scribble on the ground with his finger. (John 8:6)
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
May 7th, 2014 at 12:06:57 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with garganta (throat).

Deny
Garabatear is from a word older than Latin
Garganta is an onomatopoeia word based on the sound of gargling.
May 7th, 2014 at 8:01:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 7-5-14
Palabra: Esmirriado

Today's SWD means puny/weak.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find, or deny, any associated verb.

Ejemplo time.

Estan sin valor y esmirriado. = You're all worthless and weak.

May 7th, 2014 at 8:41:35 PM permalink
Pacomartin

May 8th, 2014 at 9:31:36 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 8-5-14
Palabra: Bizquear

Today's SWD means to squint. I thought the word for squint was entornar, those you remember the SWD from Cinco de Mayo might say. I'll leave it to the advanced readers to explain what real people actually say. I just know what my Spanish translations of English books use.

Ejemplo time.

Vi un destellor* hoy, pero necesité a bizuear a ver algo. = I saw a flasher today, but I needed to squint to see anything.

* Add 15 push-ups to my tally, as I'm sure I got this one wrong.
May 9th, 2014 at 7:06:50 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I just know what my Spanish translations of English books use.

We seem to have lost our native language speakers, but from googling it looks like this is normally used for cockeyed or cross eyed. The dictionary says "squint" is a possible translation, but I don't see it used that way very much.

Entornar could be a sleepy or dreamy look, or even a sexy look.

May 9th, 2014 at 8:31:44 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Ejemplo time.

Vi un destellor* hoy, pero necesité a bizuear a ver algo. = I saw a flasher today, but I needed to squint to see anything.

* Add 15 push-ups to my tally, as I'm sure I got this one wrong.

And how.

I'm reminded of an anecdote told by Isaac Asimov about early electronic translators. Working with English and Russian, he had the idea that if you took the Russian translation of an English phrase and translated it back to English, you ought to come up with the original phrase. Alas, he input "Out of sight, out of mind" and got back "Invisible insanity."

Ok, I don't have a Spanish term for "flasher" but let's go with "exhibicionista." The past tense of "necesitar" is not often used in first person that way. People are more likely to say "tuve que..." as in "I had to..."

And lastly, how do you keep coming up with obscure words I've either never heard of or recognize as really obscure terms? I maintain book translators like the high-flaunting language too much.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
May 9th, 2014 at 9:10:29 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
And lastly, how do you keep coming up with obscure words I've either never heard of or recognize as really obscure terms?

English book translations.

Quote:
I maintain book translators like the high-flaunting language too much.

I'm open to better ideas. In particular, books originally in Spanish that are targeted to about a young-teen audience, lest I the Spanish be too difficult.

I like bilingual books, but except for some by Joe Hayes, they are either very elementary or very advanced. Not much in the middle. I've already read everything by Joe Hayes at least once.
May 9th, 2014 at 10:13:59 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
And lastly, how do you keep coming up with obscure words I've either never heard of or recognize as really obscure terms? I maintain book translators like the high-flaunting language too much.

It can't be too obscure as there are dozens of images on the web. But all the images are associated with "looking cross eyed" and not with "squinting".

How is this translation?
Vi un exhibicionista, pero tuve que a estrabismo a ver algo.

Also, how do you say "photobomb" in Spanish? This word seems to be the new darling of the media world.
May 9th, 2014 at 10:44:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 10-5-14
Palabra: Rasguear

Today's SWD means to strum (as in a guitar). It should not be confused with rasgar, which means to rip/tear.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to find or deny an common etymology between these two words.

Ejemplo time.

Cuando rasgué mi guitarra rompé una cuerda. = When I strummed my guitar I broke a string.