Spanish Word of the Day

June 4th, 2014 at 8:03:51 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
Maybe. maybe not. But you would learn something as well.

No I wouldn't. I would just confuse myself, I'd owe more push-ups, you'd laugh at me, and my grammar would get even worse.

Fecha: 5-6-14
Palabra: Acurrucar

Today's SWD means to huddle/curl up.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to correct my ejemplo from yesterday.

Ejemplo time.

Templeton esta acurrucado en el rincon de la pociglia de Wilbur. = Templeton is curled up in the corner of Wilbur's pig sty.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
June 5th, 2014 at 8:04:36 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
The assignment for the advanced readers is to correct my ejemplo from yesterday.

Not until you try again.

Quote:
Templeton esta acurrucado en el rincon de la pociglia de Wilbur. = Templeton is curled up in the corner of Wilbur's pig sty.

That's almost exactly right. Yuo want to say "..en UN rincón..." meaning "in A corner" as opposed to "in THE corner," because pressumably there are several corners available and not just one. If he'd been lying on the bed, you'd say "en LA cama," as there is, commonly, only one bed in a bedroom.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 6th, 2014 at 9:48:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 6-6-14
Palabra: escudriñar

Today's SWD means to investigate.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English scrutinize (they sound a little similar).

Ejemplo time.

El detective esudriñó la escena de crimen para huellas dactilars. = The detective investigated the crime scene for fingerprints.
June 6th, 2014 at 10:19:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The assignment for the advanced readers is to confirm or deny a common etymology with the English scrutinize (they sound a little similar).

Yes, both words come from Latin scrūtiniō or scrūtinium .
June 6th, 2014 at 10:41:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
El detective esudriñó la escena de crimen para huellas dactilars. = The detective investigated the crime scene for fingerprints.

You do not investigate things for other things. You investigate people for things.

See, you look or search for fingerprints. You investigate Joe for money laundering.

In Spanish you look or search for something in a given palce. You do not search in a given place for something(*). So: "El detective buscó huellas digitales en la escena del crimen." If you must jam in a word that has no place in the sentence, then you can say "El detective escudriñó al escena del crimen al buscar huellas digitales."

(*) "They're the right ingredients but in the wrong order." Sheldon Cooper.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
June 6th, 2014 at 1:02:43 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
You may recall me asking about the word pardall in an earlier SWD. You can see the sign for that intersection in this video about the Isla Vista shooting.
June 7th, 2014 at 7:53:17 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 7-6-14
Palabra: Aletear

Today's SWD means to flap (ones wings)/flutter. A related word is alateo meaning flutter (noun).

The assignment for the advanced readers is an interesting one (to me at least). Confirm or deny a common etymology with aleta (fin).

Ejemplo time.

Una mariposa aleteando las alas en Brazil se puede cambiar la clima en Chicago. = A butterfly flapping its wins in Brazil can change the weather in Chicago.
June 7th, 2014 at 11:01:45 PM permalink
Pacomartin
The assignment for the advanced readers is an interesting one (to me at least). Confirm or deny a common etymology with aleta (fin).

Yes they are all from the same Latin word. Since they do similar purposes in different medium, it's not surprising.

Whales are adept at using their fins for signalling. When two bulls get in a contest over a female, they will use them for all sorts of displays. Particularly loud is a "peduncle slap". Here is a baby doing a slap, less of a display and more of an attention getting device. They have been known to slap surfers knocking them cold.

June 8th, 2014 at 7:30:08 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Fecha: 8-6-14
Palabra: Colera

Today's SWD means rage/anger. I think it can be spelled with or without an accent on the o.

The assignment for the advanced readers is to compare and contrast colera y ira. Click the link to see discussion of ira, which was the SWD just over three years ago.

Ejemplo time.

Jan sentía una gota de colera cada vez Marcia hablaba. = Jan felt a drop of anger each time Marcia spoke.
June 8th, 2014 at 8:13:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
In medieval theory, a combination of qualities (hot, cold, moist, dry) determined the nature of an organism. Using the Latin terms a combination of the four humors (sanguine, choleric, phlegmatic, and melancholic) made up a person's characteristic disposition.

If a person had an excess of any humor he was predisposed to act that way. So "cholera" was not really rage or anger, but the tendency to easily get angry. I would think in your sentence written in English above you would use "ira" since you are talking about the anger itself, not the predisposition.

Hamlet is often called "the melancholy Dane" because he is predisposed to be sad, sullen, irritable, and gloomy.