Spanish Word of the Day

March 9th, 2016 at 8:25:11 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
Do you have a time stamp on that photo?My one day in the park was accompanied by hundreds of stands all selling tortas for 5 or 6 pesos, and what seemed like 5000 school children all in line to tour the anthropology museum.

The first one was stamped at Wednesday, ‎February ‎24, ‎2016, ‏‎5:04:37 PM, but that would have been Pacific time, so make it 3:04 PM.

One wide path in the park was lined with people selling food and souvenirs. I doubt anything costs 5 or 6 pesos any more. When I showed Lupe that picture of the menu she didn't appreciate my point about two salads costing more than double one, but she was shocked that a single salad could cost 100 pesos. Keep in mind she hasn't been back there in 15 years.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 9th, 2016 at 8:36:11 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
It is your city. I assumed you would be proud to represent and defend it.

Back in 2013 while in Vegas I posted to FB a sign I saw on Fremont St. saying "God says "don't go to Hell." " In my post I wrote something like:

"But I'm going back to Hell in a few days. I mean, Mexico City (I mean, Hell)."

I do know a few things about the city, especially the less unpleasant parts of this hellhole, so I may be able to answer questions now and then. But the next time I rise to defend it will be the first.

I do kind of like the airport because 1) I'm interested in airports and 2) it's the place where you can get away from Mexico City.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 9th, 2016 at 10:28:14 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Well, from what I saw of Mexico City I was quite impressed. If you think Mexico City is bad, then what do you think of Tijuana?

Also, do you know anybody in the DF department of parks and recreation? Perhaps he/she could offer an explanation to the all white pieces.
March 9th, 2016 at 10:59:20 AM permalink
Nareed
Well, from what I saw of Mexico City I was quite impressed.

Hell is an impressive place to visit, too :)

Look, you don't have to deal every day with traffic, pollution, corrupt police, corrupt officials, an ever yellower press, and what passes for culture in these parts.

Quote:
If you think Mexico City is bad, then what do you think of Tijuana?

I haven't been there in over 20 years. I've no idea what it's like. I can tell you Chilpancingo ought to be torn down and used as a landfill; it's simply not fir for human habitation. Toluca and Monterrey are rather nice, though I wouldn't care to drive in downtown Monterrey.

Quote:
Also, do you know anybody in the DF department of parks and recreation?

Not even remotely.

BTW, didn't you hear? The DF is dead. Now the official name is "Ciudad de México."
March 9th, 2016 at 11:06:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Also, do you know anybody in the DF department of parks and recreation? Perhaps he/she could offer an explanation to the all white pieces.

I assume that chess games resulted in fights or people stealing pieces. They decided to leave the set up as art, and remove the possibility of a game.

Well, from what I saw of Mexico City I was quite impressed. If you think Mexico City is bad, then what do you think of Tijuana?

I can remember taking people from small towns to Manhattan and showing them incredible views of the city, only to have them rail and rant about the noise, the crowds, the garbage, etc.

Some people who live there just get tired of it all. They get tired of the slow buses, the small living spaces, etc.
March 9th, 2016 at 1:21:38 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I assume that chess games resulted in fights or people stealing pieces. They decided to leave the set up as art, and remove the possibility of a game.

Chess is a very gentlemanly game. I've played hundreds of times and never seen a fight break out.

I don't see how having only white pieces would cut down on theft.
March 9th, 2016 at 1:30:10 PM permalink
Nareed
Chess is a very gentlemanly game. I've played hundreds of times and never seen a fight break out.

I haven't seen one chess game not ending in a fight.

Admittedly there was not a single chess enthusiast in the bunch.

The one chess joke I know:

Bill and Joe are playing chess. Bill opens by moving a pawn one space forward. Joe immediately stands up and says "Got you! Checkmate in 23 moves!"

I don't get it.
March 9th, 2016 at 1:34:59 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
I haven't seen one chess game not ending in a fight.

Where do you play that fights are always breaking out? What is there to fight over? The rules of the game are very clear.

Quote:
Jill and Joe are playing chess. Bill opens by moving a pawn one space forward. Joe immediately stands up and says "Got you! Checkmate in 23 moves!"

I don't get it.

There must be some kind of back story you're not giving us. Some people call me an awful father for this, but I never let my kids beat me in anything. I love to play Connect Four with them and proudly announce after they make a bad move, "I'm going to win in three moves!"
March 9th, 2016 at 1:43:17 PM permalink
Nareed
Where do you play that fights are always breaking out?

At home, at school, summer camp. Horrible places like that :)

Quote:
What is there to fight over? The rules of the game are very clear.

"You touched the pawn, no you have to move it!" "You lifted that piece, now you have to move it!" "You let go of the piece, you can't move it back!" "NO WAY you can move the king and castle in the same turn!" "You must have cheated when I turned my head for one second! "You must have cheated when I went to the restroom!"

Quote:
There must be some kind of back story you're not giving us.

No, that's the whole joke.

I do recall a second one:

Joe runs into a convention of chess players at a hotel lobby. After hearing them talk about their great plays and major victories, he mutters "Oh, great. Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."

I do get that one.
March 9th, 2016 at 3:51:06 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
I do recall a second one:

Joe runs into a convention of chess players at a hotel lobby. After hearing them talk about their great plays and major victories, he mutters "Oh, great. Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer."

I knew and like that one. The way I tell it is:

Q: What do you call chess enthusiasts bragging in a hotel lobby?
A: Chess nuts boasting in an open foyer.

On a related note, why is the bishop called an alfil in Spanish? Shouldn't it be an obispo? Also, why isn't the queen the reina?