Spanish Word of the Day

March 11th, 2016 at 9:10:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
This is the Torre Mayor, the second tallest building in Mexico. At one time it was the tallest building in Latin America.

I hear it is soon to be the third tallest, as Torre Reforma should be completed later this year.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
March 12th, 2016 at 1:50:35 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
This is the Torre Mayor, the second tallest building in Mexico. At one time it was the tallest building in Latin America.

I follow skyscrapers ever since a college course I took as an undergraduate. After the earthquake in 1985, no one ever thought they would build a super-tall in Mexico City. Super-talls are understood to begin at 700' and are so designated in honor of the Metropolitan Life Insurance Company Tower which was 700' and built in 1909 as the then tallest building in the world.

Prior to the earthquake the tallest buildings in MC were:
693' Torre Ejecutiva Pemex 52 stories 1982
628' World Trade Center Mexico City 50 stories 1972
595' Torre Latinoamericana 45 stories 1956

Torre Mayor was built directly on top of some of the worst earthquake damage in 1985, and was considered a miracle of modern design as it was the most resistant buildings in the world. Upon opening it got hit with a Mag 7.6 quake and survived with no damage whatsoever.

A number of buildings began construction, with the Torre Bicentenario leading the way to be finished for the bicentennial celebrations in 2010. That building was cancelled, but at least a half a dozen should be completed in a few years.

In the interim, Panama City decided to Manhattanize as well. Trump's hotel in PC is still the tallest as several projects have been cancelled there as well.

March 14th, 2016 at 8:36:37 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
This is the Museo Nacional De La Revolucion

March 14th, 2016 at 3:16:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
La Guerra de Independencia de México: 16 de septiembre de 1810,
La Revolución Mexicana: 20 de noviembre de 1910

Since the museum began before 1910 and finished 28 years later, it started out a monument to the war of independence in 1810, but ended up as a mausoleum for the heroes of the Mexican Revolution of 1910, Francisco "Pancho" Villa, Francisco I. Madero, Plutarco Elías Calles, Venustiano Carranza, and Lázaro Cárdenas.

The American Revolutionary War is also known as the American War of Independence, but as there was only one war there is little confusion. In English texts about Mexico sometimes the war of independence in 1810 is called the Mexican Revolutionary War after the US example, but it leads to confusion about the civil war that happened a hundred years later.

Turning the data from MasterCard around to just look at visitors going through New York City we see how much cheaper a trip to MC costs than a trip to Europe. These numbers are FROM NYC to the three destinations, not FROM destinations to NYC.

Rank Visitors via New York City Thousands of Int visitors Per visit not including air fare Million $
1 London 988 $1,201 $1,187
2 Paris 608 $1,039 $632
3 Mexico City 229 $646 $148
March 15th, 2016 at 8:36:56 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
My knowledge of Mexican history is quite poor. I'd love a book on Mexican history in Spanish at about a 6th grade level. Any recommendations?

Moving right along, as I mentioned before my trip overlapped that of the Pope's. I heard lots of complaints of such things as it causing two-hour traffic jams in Mexico City. Fortunately, my personal timing was good and what little I was driven in Mexico City wasn't when the Pope was up to anything locally.

Signs for the Pope were all over the place. Maybe I didn't talk to the right people, but I didn't meet one person who was excited for the Pope's visit but heard nothing but complaining about it.

I'd be interested to know how the Pope's visit affected Nareed.
March 15th, 2016 at 8:43:17 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
My knowledge of Mexican history is quite poor. I'd love a book on Mexican history in Spanish at about a 6th grade level. Any recommendations?

At that level most of what's available is government propaganda.

Quote:
Signs for the Pope were all over the place. Maybe I didn't talk to the right people, but I didn't meet one person who was excited for the Pope's visit but heard nothing but complaining about it.

Progress!
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 15th, 2016 at 9:43:39 AM permalink
Nareed

The one recommendation I care to make doesn't exist yet. Mike Duncan will be doing the Mexican revolution in his podcast series "Revolutions." I've no idea when he'll get to it. He seems to be going in chronological order, and is now in the Haitian Revolution of the late XVIII and early XIX Centuries. I'm not sure what follows. He should go on to the bunched European revolutions of 1848, but he may as well jump all the way to 1910 or 1917.

So maybe soon, maybe a year from now (the French revolution took a really long time to tell). Typically he announces the next when he closes the current one.
March 16th, 2016 at 1:38:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
https://picasaweb.google.com/117164923855468143550/HISTORIADEMEXICOPARANINOS#

Here is one online.

Quote: First four paragraphs of History of Mexico for children

Persiguiendo las manadas de mamut para obtener alimento y pieles para vestirse, grupos de cazadores cruzaron del continente asiático al americano por la parte en que casi se unen, el estrecho de Bering, que hace 50,000 años estaba congelado. Con ello se inició el poblamiento de América.

Los primeros pobladores se dedicaron a la cacería, la pesca, a recoger frutos; más tarde descubren la agricultura y dejan de perseguir animales para obtener comida (nómadas), porque se establecen en un solo lugar para cultivar la tierra. Entonces las aldeas comienzan a crecer, hay nuevos oficios —cocer barro, tejer varas y lana, algodón, trabajar madera— y surge el comercio. Inician las diferencias entre las clases.

El continente americano tiene dos áreas de alta cultura: la zona Inca (Perú y Chile) y Mesoamérica que comprende, por el norte, desde del río Pánuco (en la costa del Golfo de México) y el río Culiacán (en la costa del Pacífico) hasta Guatemala y Honduras. Es una región con agricultura, grandes ciudades, desarrollo de ciencia y construcción de pirámides.

Aridoamérica ocupa el norte de México y el suroeste de los Estados Unidos; tuvo un desarrollo mucho menor por que no tiene recursos naturales para sostener población, pues se trata de desiertos con poco agua. La primera cultura importante del México Antiguo fue la Olmeca, que se desarrolló en las fértiles y húmedas tierras de la costa del Golfo de México, con tres importantes ciudades: Tres Zapotes, San Lorenzo y La Venta. Se le conoce como la Cultura Madre porque en ella aparecen por vez primera rasgos culturales que se repetirán los siguientes dos mil años: el conocimiento astronómico, el calendario, etc.. Esculpieron grandes cabezas de piedra y representaron jaguares y serpientes, a los que consideraban animales sagrados.
March 16th, 2016 at 2:25:21 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
Here is one online.

That's not bad, thanks, but I would put that at about a 1st grade level. I was hoping for something a bit heavier.

Here is a question I've been trying to get a straight answer to for decades. You see these little shrines to the Virgin Mary all over Mexico. This one is near the Mexico City airport. One thing I've been told, I think incorrectly, is that these are memorials to mark where a loved one died. The reason I don't believe that theory is you see these things dotted all over the long road to San Felipe on the gulf side of Baja. This is a lonely road were I doubt there are a lot of fatalities. However, I can't explain why somebody would build a little monument in the middle of nowhere either.

If anybody can explain it, I'm all ears.
March 16th, 2016 at 2:58:38 PM permalink
Nareed
Here is a question I've been trying to get a straight answer to for decades.

Join the club.

Thus far all I know, at the risk of derailing this thread even further, is that: "That's a 'not-an-icon'."