Spanish Word of the Day

January 11th, 2013 at 4:49:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Wizard
Duende Today's SWD means goblin/elf.

In Archaic Spanish a duen de casa was a ‘master of the house’ but used in the context like we use "big man on campus". It was a man with huge personal magnetism and charm not necessarily the owner or the most powerful man.

The word "goblin" is of uncertain origin, and may simply be taken from the proper name Gobelinus, who was a legendary spirit in German stories roughly 1000 years old. The word "imp" is related to the verb "implant" and had no supernatural meaning, but the phrase "offshoot of the Devil" or "imp of the Devil" became so popular 500 years ago that eventually and "imp" was a mildly wicked demon. "Elves" were in Anglo Saxon stories a race of powerful beings, but somewhere in Middle English they became less frightening and cuter. "Faeries" are related to the noun "fate" and the personal name "Fay" and were also more frightening originally. The slang term for effeminate men dates from 1895.

The idea "master of the house" became associated with goblins and elves, because they are both "supernaturally charming" (similar to how glamour went from "supernaturlally alluring" to it's modern day english meaning).
The Spanish word trasgo also mean goblin.
January 11th, 2013 at 6:18:55 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Taking this further, how do you say troll, gnome, and brownie in Spanish?

By the way dueño and dueña I heard/read quite a few times while in Cabo. I'm not sure if this is a trendy word, or if just never came across it before.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 11th, 2013 at 6:55:43 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
By the way dueño and dueña I heard/read quite a few times while in Cabo. I'm not sure if this is a trendy word, or if just never came across it before.

There's nothing "trendy" about it. it means owner.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 11th, 2013 at 7:07:30 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Taking this further, how do you say troll, gnome, and brownie in Spanish?

duen de casa : Old Spanish for Master of the House
duende: Abbreviation of above, means elf or goblin
dueño: Modern Spanish for Master or Proprietor
adueñarse: Verb that means to appropriate

I think many of mythological creatures are from Central Europe and the names are mostly Germanic. I know that there was considerable concern when Grimm's Fairy Tales almost completely wiped out the English stories and legends. I know that fairies were common in England. Some of the Spanish translations are just transliterations of the German names. Like "elfo" and "gnomo" and "goblino". Troll is just translated as "duende". I am not sure if Spanish speakers would even recognize "brownie", but it isn't very common in English any more (defined as a sprite, clearly as a desert the word is ubiquitous ).

I have talked to older Spanish speakers, and many of them don't recognize the minor characters from Grimm's Fairy Tales (Rapunzel, Rumpelstiltskin, and Hansel and Gretel or Jack and the Beanstalk) although I think Snow White, Cinderella, and Sleeping Beauty are fairly universal. Probably the younger generation is exposed to all these characters through Spanish versions of Disney movies.
January 11th, 2013 at 7:58:34 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
The movies spread the subculture in the 1940's from Los Angeles to Mexico city where "El Café de Tacuba" was centerpiece of the culture. The cafe just turned 100 years old, so it is probably one of the oldest restaurants in Mexico City.

You're taking a joke too far, and too seriously.

Besides, the well-known restaurant is somewhere downtown, I don't know where exactly. The one in Polanco is either a branch or a knock off, most likely the latter.

Aside from that, let me tell you what Mexican music I like: None.
January 11th, 2013 at 10:23:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
You're taking a joke too far, and too seriously.

Besides, the well-known restaurant is somewhere downtown, I don't know where exactly. The one in Polanco is either a branch or a knock off, most likely the latter.

Aside from that, let me tell you what Mexican music I like: None.

I think you and I are possibly the only ones who would know you were joking. Most Americans would not know that there is a famous restaurant that the band was named after.

Tacuba was another name for Tlacopan, one of the city states when Cortez conquered Mexico. The name remains as a district of Mexico City, a metro stop, and many other local places including the Cafe.

Here is a challenge for gringos. Although this world famous club is not in Mexico, I bet you would find many more Mexicans that recognize it than Americans. If you are a gringo, can you identify the club and say where it is?

In my school we took a class in Mexican music taught by a local professor. He was pretty good about covering all different styles, from Amerindian music down to Mexico city Ska.
January 11th, 2013 at 10:29:55 AM permalink
Nareed
Although this world famous club is not in Mexico, I bet you would find many more Mexicans that recognize it than Americans.

All I can tell from the photo is that it likely belongs to someone with more money than taste.
January 11th, 2013 at 12:41:07 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'm going to guess somewhere in Cuba. I don't know the names of any clubs there, except maybe there was a Tropicana there before Castro.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 11th, 2013 at 12:57:36 PM permalink
Pacomartin
La Bodeguita del Medio was very famous club in Havana that opened in 1942 where Salvador Allende, Pablo Neruda, Ernest Hemingway, Josignacio, Gabriel Garcia Marquez, Gabriela Mistral, Agustín Lara, Nat King Cole, Marlene Dietrich, and Nicolás Guillén used to listen to music and drink.

There are four modern copies in several locations in Mexico including Roma in D.F. I've been to three of them.

The one in Guadalajara is jammed with people on weekend nights, with excellent music. The more touristy locations in PV and Playa del Carmen are full of white people who are buying T-shirts.
January 11th, 2013 at 2:47:13 PM permalink
Nareed
La Bodeguita del Medio

Never heard of it.