Spanish Word of the Day

January 28th, 2013 at 6:28:46 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
Despes de los Ravens (I'll refrain from using Cuervos) ganan, quedarás de una sola pieza.

"Afer of the Ravens winning, purple crayon dinosaur."

And in my opinion, (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 28th, 2013 at 8:02:11 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
It makes no sense. It's tagged on after the snetence. kind of like "[..] couldn't believe their eyes, purple crayon dinosaur."

It must have an idiomatic meaning (possibly in Spain) because I can find examples of it on the internet.

(1) Estimado amigo y hermano, Cuando descubras al final de esta recopilación quien escribió estas odiosas frases e investigues para verificarlo.
Te quedarás de una sola pieza y con seguridad comenzarás a compartir con otros que seguramente tienen a este personaje como un heroe de la teología.

(2) Muy pronto en La Coquito te quedarás de una sola pieza. Preparen sus paletas! Porque al mejor estilo de Sotheby's NY estaremos subastando la crème de la crème de nuestros diseños.
January 29th, 2013 at 12:47:35 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
It must have an idiomatic meaning (possibly in Spain) because I can find examples of it on the internet.

1) If it makes no sense, then chances are it came from Spain

2) it wouldn't be on the Internet if it weren't true :P

3) In my opinion, (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed (and, really, someone should have guessed the reference by now)
January 29th, 2013 at 2:55:28 PM permalink
theodores
Threads: 2
3) In my opinion, (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed (and, really, someone should have guessed the reference by now)
Cato the Elder speaking about the Third Punic War. You are on a real Roman kick lately -- that's good! Classical antiquity is too much neglected.

But please keep adding it to all your posts. You really have to hammer the point home :)
January 29th, 2013 at 4:13:32 PM permalink
Pacomartin
In my opinion, (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed (and, really, someone should have guessed the reference by now)

Nevermore!
January 29th, 2013 at 7:20:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Fecha: 29-1-13
Palabra: Refunfuñar

Today's SWD means to grumble.

I'm very eager to hear the etymology of this one.

Ejemplo

Nareed refunfuñé despues de los 49'ers perdaron.

On another topic, I have another idiom to ask about. Here is a translation from the book Sleeping Beauty.

English: However, before they became king and queen and lived happily ever after, they had to face some difficult trials.
Spanish: Pero ante de llegar a ser reyes, vivir felices y comer perdices tuvieron que pasar duras pruebas.

I would translate that Spanish back to English as, "But before they became kings (I guess the queens is implied), lived happily and ate partridges they had to pass some difficult tests.

Eat partridges? Where did that come from? Are kings and queens known for eating them? If so, in which countries?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2013 at 8:16:37 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: theodores
Cato the Elder speaking about the Third Punic War.

Yes! Thank you! I thought for a moment no one would ever get it!

Although it was after the Second Punic War.

Quote:
You are on a real Roman kick lately -- that's good! Classical antiquity is too much neglected.

Yes, indeed. I've been listening to "The History of Rome" podcast since late December. You can find it here: http://thehistoryofrome.typepad.com/the_history_of_rome/2007/07/index.html

That's episode one. There are over 180 episodes all told. It took the podcaster over four years to finish it. I've learned a lot of fascinating history. I've also learned how shallowly and hurriedly Greece, Rome, Carthage, Persia/Parthia and the rest were covered in school.

Quote:
But please keep adding it to all your posts. You really have to hammer the point home :)

:)

Old Cato had the reasonable expectation that Carthage would be destroyed. I'll stop on Sunday, whatever the result.
January 29th, 2013 at 8:18:28 PM permalink
Nareed
Nareed refunfuñé despues de los 49'ers perdaron.

That's all so wrong all I can say is "In my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed."
January 29th, 2013 at 9:18:55 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
That's all so wrong all I can say is "In my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed."

Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 29th, 2013 at 11:50:53 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Fecha: 29-1-13
Palabra: Refunfuñar

Today's SWD means to grumble. I'm very eager to hear the etymology of this one.

On another topic, I have another idiom to ask about. Here is a translation from the book Sleeping Beauty.
English: However, before they became king and queen and lived happily ever after, they had to face some difficult trials.
Spanish: Pero ante de llegar a ser reyes, vivir felices y comer perdices tuvieron que pasar duras pruebas.

I would translate that Spanish back to English as, "But before they became kings (I guess the queens is implied), lived happily and ate partridges they had to pass some difficult tests. Eat partridges? Where did that come from? Are kings and queens known for eating them? If so, in which countries?

(1) Refunfuñar is an example of onomatopoeia, much like "grumble"

(2) King and Queen are based on old Anglo Saxon words. The word "king" is related to "kin" as a king is both a ruler and the leader of his kinfolk or family. You can be king of the British (who are all roughly 25th cousins or closer) but you were always "Emperor of India" which is the ruler of unrelated people. The Spanish word "reyes" means "the rulers" but without the intimacy that the word "king" implies.

(3) Partridges are a classic delicacy, enjoyed by the rich. Swans were also eaten at one time.

An old ending to fairy tails (partly because it rhymed) was
y fueron felices
y comieron perdices