Spanish Word of the Day

January 30th, 2013 at 6:50:45 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
BTW, I should explain that while calling for the destruction of Carthage was popular after the Second Punic War, it was Cato the Elder who was the most insistent. The Roman Senator would end all speeches before the Senate with the the words "Furthermore, in my opinion Carthage must be destroyed." this regardless of what his oration might be about. This should finish explaining my repeated calls to destroy (the) Baltimore (Ravens).

Quote:
Nareed refunfuñé despues de los 49'ers perdaron.

You're using the first person past conjugation in reference to a third person. And I've no idea how to describe "perdaron." The clsoest equivalence in English I can come up with is "will-was-lost," but I can't convey the mispelling.

So: "Michael refunfuñÓ cuando los Ravens fueron destruidos."

Happy?

As to your Sleeping Beauty question, it also seems tacked on for no appaprent reason. Not to mention it's obscure at best. The traditional fairy tale ending "They lived happily ever after," translates precisely as "Y vivieron felices para siempre."

Furthermore, in my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
January 30th, 2013 at 7:58:19 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: Nareed
As to your Sleeping Beauty question, it also seems tacked on for no appaprent reason. Not to mention it's obscure at best. The traditional fairy tale ending "They lived happily ever after," translates precisely as "Y vivieron felices para siempre."

It may be obscure in Mexican Spanish, but clearly it is a commonly used phrase in some other Spanish. "Google Translate" is not a syntactical translator, it just compares a database of translations. Clearly out of the thousands of translations (many from Europe) the phrase "and they were happy ever after" is rendered as "y ellos fueron felices y comieron perdices" despite it not being the literal meaning.

Quote: Google Translate

y ellos fueron felices
y comieron perdices
Y vivieron felices para siempre
comieron perdices

and they were happy
ever after
And they lived happily ever after
ate partridges

January 30th, 2013 at 9:00:53 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Pacomartin
Clearly out of the thousands of translations (many from Europe) the phrase "and they were happy ever after" is rendered as "y ellos fueron felices y comieron perdices" despite it not being the literal meaning.

It strikes me as nothing but silly, superflous rhyme. That is assuming it has any meaning. Growing up I read tons of fairy tales. In none of them was there anything about eating partridges.

January 31st, 2013 at 8:54:34 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Here is a scan of the book in question. Note the second to last sentence.

p.s. Go Ravens!
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
January 31st, 2013 at 10:17:30 AM permalink
Nareed
Quote: Wizard
Here is a scan of the book in question. Note the second to last sentence.

I caught another mistake.

Quote:
p.s. Go Ravens!

I already told you where to look. It's a shame the one team in the NFL with a connection to a literary work gathers such un-literary fans.

Furhtermore, in my opinion (the) Baltimore (Ravens) must be destroyed.
January 31st, 2013 at 12:12:59 PM permalink
Pacomartin
It strikes me as nothing but silly, superflous rhyme. That is assuming it has any meaning. Growing up I read tons of fairy tales. In none of them was there anything about eating partridges.

Oh no!. This wikipedia article lists not one, but two silly, superflous Spanish rhymes in the article about fairy tale phrases entitled Once upon a time

...y vivieron felices y comieron perdices
...y colorín, colorado, este cuento se ha acabado

el resto es silencio
January 31st, 2013 at 12:53:44 PM permalink
Nareed
...y colorín, colorado, este cuento se ha acabado

That one I'm familiar with. I don't recall coming across it in a book, but you do hear it in some old, tired, shaggy-dog type childish jokes.

February 3rd, 2013 at 8:37:34 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote:
Question #2: What does the quedaron de una sola pieza mean? Literally, I would translate that as "they remained with one piece only." But piece of what?
It makes no sense. It's tagged on after the snetence. kind of like "[..] couldn't believe their eyes, purple crayon dinosaur."

I heard from Gonzalo in Galicia and he said the the phrase is European Spanish.

Quote: Gonzalo

"Te quedarás de una sola pieza" is just an idiomatic speech. It means that you will be very much surprised, quite often in a negative sense.

1) Entré en la habitación y los vi besándose, me quedé de una pieza. =
I entered the room and I saw them kissing each other, I was very much surprised.

2)Tengo una noticia increíble, te quedarás de una pieza. =
I have got unbelievable news. You will be amazed.

3)Juan me apuntó con su pistola.= John aimed at me with his gun.
¿Y tú qué hiciste?=And what did you do?
Nada; me quedé de una pieza. = Nothing. I didn´t know what to do.
(I was paralyzed, I couldn't move. Nothing came to my mind, I was very surprised. I didn't expect John to point his gun to me.)

My guess is it is the figurative equivalent of "it stopped me dead in my tracks".

In another way it seems like Spanish for "I remained in one piece" is similar to English "I fell to pieces."
February 4th, 2013 at 5:27:45 AM permalink
Nareed
I heard from Gonzalo in Galicia and he said the the phrase is European Spanish.

Do you know the old joke, "excuse me, sir, are you a foreigner?" "Yes, I'm from England." "Ah, I thought so. You speak our language funny."
February 4th, 2013 at 4:42:37 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: President Obama to Prime Minister David Cameron
We Americans and Brits speak the same language most of the time, so let me just say, David, we are chuffed to bits that you are here.