Spanish Word of the Day

April 15th, 2013 at 7:09:49 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: Wizard
No había chicas entre los del equipo de Slytherin, que formaban una piña frente a los de Gryffindor y miraban burlonamente a Wood..

It means the chances of running into someone who uses it that way in conversation is lower than your odds of winning every state, national and intercontinental lotto jackpot in the world three times in a row, twice.

Well, maybe not twice...
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
April 15th, 2013 at 7:44:10 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Nareed
It means the chances of running into someone who uses it that way in conversation is lower than your odds of winning every state, national and intercontinental lotto jackpot in the world three times in a row, twice.

I'll say it in Costa Rica then. I'll report back what happens.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
April 15th, 2013 at 7:49:58 AM permalink
Nareed
I'll say it in Costa Rica then. I'll report back what happens.

Buy some lotto.
April 15th, 2013 at 9:35:48 AM permalink
Nareed
BTW, not counting the time spent on your Spanish lesson last year, I haven't read a book translated into Spanish in over 30 years (wow!). I've expounded on some of the reasons here. The downside is that I'm less likely now to read any translations, though that didn't stop me from reading (yes, reading) a coffee table book of Greek mythical art which was originally written in French (of all languages).
April 15th, 2013 at 1:33:18 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
The translators of the second book are listed as Nieves Martín Azofra and Adolpho Muñoz Garcia. I can't find bios, but the first book was translated by an older Argentine woman.

The Spanish translation seems to have put a proper name (Oliver Wood) into the translation. Possibly to make the sentence clearer.

There were no girls on the Slytherin team, - Original English
No había chicas entre los del equipo de Slytherin, - Professional Translation
No hubo chicas del equipo de Slytherin, - Google machine translation

who stood shoulder to shoulder,
que formaban una piña
que estaba de pie hombro con hombro,

facing the Gryffindors, leering to a man.
frente a los de Gryffindor y miraban burlonamente a Wood.
frente a los Gryffindor, mirando de reojo a un hombre.

It seems to me that "que estaba de pie hombro con hombro" is a pretty straight translation.

I must add that I find the English a little awkward myself. I think it might have been a little clearer as two sentences.
There were no girls on the Slytherin team. They stood shoulder to shoulder facing the Gryffindors, leering to a man.
April 16th, 2013 at 5:28:23 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Pacomartin
I must add that I find the English a little awkward myself.

I'm not sure if it is the English English or the style of J.K. Rowling, but she writes in a fanciful and colorful manner. I have enough trouble with the Spanish version, but sometimes I need to look up words in the English as well.

Both my tutors have complained about every single Spanish translation they have helped me work through. If I didn't say so, I'm back with my original tutor from Argentina. She got me some books in original Spanish we will start working through once I finish La Cámara Secreta, which will take a while.
April 16th, 2013 at 7:26:01 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I'm not sure if it is the English English or the style of J.K. Rowling, but she writes in a fanciful and colorful manner. I have enough trouble with the Spanish version, but sometimes I need to look up words in the English as well.

There is a difference between the American and British versions of the books. In most cases the a very British expression like "grass on Hagrid" is changed to it's American equivalent "squeal on Hagrid".

There is one case where an entire paragraph is changed to make it clearer.

UK A second later, Harry spotted something that made him hit Ron over the hand with his pruning shears. Harry was pointing at the ground a few feet away. Several large spiders were scurrying across the earth.Harry watched the spiders running away.

USA A second later, Harry spotted something.Several large spiders were scuttling over the ground on the other side of the glass, moving in an unnatuarally straight line a though taking the shortest route to a prearranged meeting. Harry hit Ron over the hand with his pruning shears. Harry pointed out the spiders, following their progress with his eyes screwed up against the sun. Harry's eyes narrowed as he focused on the spiders. If they pursued their fixed course, there could be no doubt about where they would end up.

I am a little surprised that the Argentine tutor complains, as I assumed that since most of the translators were Argentine or European then she would be more comfortable with the phrasing. But the one Spanish author e-mailed me that they would have extremely long discussions at her publishers about how to translate passages of her book as they were always arguing.
April 16th, 2013 at 9:28:03 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
I had no problem with that UK version, and thought the USA version was awful. It sounded like a translation out of Google.

I only tortured my Argentine with one day of Harry Potter, which was all she could stand. It wasn't so much that the translation was bad, but she had no idea what was going on. I started her at a point in the middle of the second book.

I wish there were more bilingual books at my level, like those by Joe Hayes. It should not be this frustrating to learn a language.
April 17th, 2013 at 2:01:34 PM permalink
Nareed
I only tortured my Argentine with one day of Harry Potter, which was all she could stand.

This is as good a time as any to remind you I carry a functioning lighter with me at all times, and I know what the temperature of burning paper happens to be ;)
April 17th, 2013 at 7:38:29 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: Nareed
This is as good a time as any to remind you I carry a functioning lighter with me at all times, and I know what the temperature of burning paper happens to be ;)

Careful, you don't want to make Voldermort angry.