Favorite Discontinued Foods?

Page 1 of 212>
October 30th, 2012 at 6:31:03 PM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
Isn't it frustrating when a company discontinues one of your favorite food products?

I grew up during the 80's and one of my favorite snacks was the Carnation Breakfast Bar. My siblings and I always fought like cats and dogs over the limited supply of these that were kept in the pantry. Ironically we never really had these for breakfast but instead ate them after getting home from school.

For those of you who consumed these back in the day, you'll recall their gritty, almost chalky texture which doesn't sound appealing but somehow managed to work very well.

I have quite a few other "terminated" foods that I miss (Gatorgum, Corn-Quistos, etc.), but none more than those breakfast bars.

Do you have any foods/products that you wish were still around?

October 30th, 2012 at 6:37:18 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: blount2000
Isn't it frustrating when a company discontinues one of your favorite food products?

I grew up during the 80's and one of my favorite snacks was the Carnation Breakfast Bar. My siblings and I always fought like cats and dogs over the limited supply of these that were kept in the pantry. Ironically we never really had these for breakfast but instead ate them after getting home from school.

For those of you who consumed these back in the day, you'll recall their gritty, almost chalky texture which doesn't sound appealing but somehow managed to work very well.

I have quite a few other "terminated" foods that I miss (Gatorgum, Corn-Quistos, etc.), but none more than those breakfast bars.

Do you have any foods/products that you wish were still around?

+1 on the Carnation breakfast bars. The consistency very much made it necessary to drink a glass of something with the bar (Carnation recommends milk).

Also, Coke Blak (Coke + coffee flavor).

And I don't remember the name, but there used to be a Spree-like tropical fruit candy that we always used to go buy at the corner store when I was growing up (late '80s).

Gatorgum was discontinued? That stuff was great.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
October 30th, 2012 at 7:40:21 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
The best peanut butter candy bar in all of history:

Cocaine in a friggin' can:

Rush of energy that won't kill you!:

"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
October 30th, 2012 at 7:41:40 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
Quote: Mission146
The best peanut butter candy bar in all of history:

Cocaine in a friggin' can:

Rush of energy that won't kill you!:

Surge!! I forgot about Surge, which I suppose is the point of this thread. I lived on that stuff when I worked overnights during summers in high school.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
October 30th, 2012 at 7:48:20 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: rdw4potus
Also, Coke Blak (Coke + coffee flavor).

I tried it once in 2006 and liked it. I don't think they ever got to a diet version, though. Pepsi tried it some time later, I think...

Speaking of that, growing up I recall "cola-flavored" lollipops. They didn't taste anything like coke, but they were great. Also vanilla and chocolate chewing gum. Delicious!

I miss root beer, too. No one sells it here. There was a local brand called "Ruti" long ago. When diet soda was finally made here, around the late 80s, they launched a diet version. Then it died suddenly. Whenever I go to the States one of the first things I hunt down is diet root beer.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 30th, 2012 at 8:18:31 PM permalink
blount2000
Threads: 5
I remember loving a candy called Velamints. They were square mints that had a very "slippery" feel in your mouth.

Sometimes the associated memories are as good as the food. The town grocery store is close to the church, and I remember my friends and I would quickly sneak up to the store right after Sunday school to get things like Velamints to eat during church. Very tame by today's standards, but it seemed pretty rebellious at the time to a bunch of 10-year-olds!

October 30th, 2012 at 8:20:50 PM permalink
Nareed
Quote: blount2000
I remember loving a candy called Velamints. They were square mints that had a very "slippery" feel in your mouth.

I remember those. They had a depression in the middle. As I recall they tasted somewhat metallic, but not in a bad way. I liked the spearmint flavor.
October 30th, 2012 at 9:32:04 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 30th, 2012 at 10:02:59 PM permalink
Nareed
How about just changed foods?

There's a snack cake in Mexico called "Gansito" (gosling). It has a strawberry marmalade and cream filling, and it's covered with chocolate. It's still on sale and still very popular. But up until, oh, 15 years ago or so the chocolate covering was really thick. Today's is very thin and lacks the same rich flavor.
October 31st, 2012 at 5:25:39 AM permalink
123Smitty
Threads: 0
In the 1960s as an after-school snack I used to gorge on something called Instant Pizza. It was a round crusty thing with sauce and cheese inside. You stuck them in the toaster and the crust came out crunchy, not at all like the crust on Pizza Rolls, and 9 times out of 10 the first bite into the crust would scratch the inside of my mouth and the hot sauce would burn my tongue, but that never stopped me from eating them.

My favorite candy was Bonomo's Turkish Taffy. I loved the idea of smacking the bar on the table and breaking it into small pieces. It melted so nicely in your mouth, especially the vanilla flavor. Banana was my second-favorite flavor, with chocolate running third.

Their website says "it's back" but I haven't seen it in stores, and they now have flavors like raspberry and cherry -- yuk!
Page 1 of 212>