In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 31st, 2014 at 3:41:15 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
He's baaaaack!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, B. Just yesterday on WoV I predicted your imminent return and a reszumption of the, ahem, debate with the LIVs. And a couple of them have been whining practically non-stop on both boards. And verily it came to pass :-)
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
October 31st, 2014 at 4:53:33 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Gay son of GOP candidate stumps for his mom.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 31st, 2014 at 1:47:23 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: chickenman
He's baaaaack!!!!!!!!!

Welcome back, B.

Nooooooooooo, no no no... He's been nuked
again with no explanation.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
October 31st, 2014 at 2:02:10 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Fleastiff
Into the Wild.

Instead of death from seeds and roots containing toxic alkaloids its now seeds containing an amino acid Beta-ODAP.

Still questions remain. Foraging on public lands, adequacy of preparations for adverse conditions, ignorant traveling versus prepared for survival challenges, etc.

http://www.adn.com/article/20130919/jon-krakauer-responds-what-killed-chris-mccandless

I tried out for a part in the movie when they interviewed in Page Az. Not sure if the scene was in the movie but he went and did laundry there one time and it was a scene in the movie.

I thought he succumbed from not eating potatoes, from rickets or scurvy? It is very interesting [to me] that this is still being discussed. I have heard the bus is a rendezvous point for snowmobilers now. My part would have had to do with the moose meat.

Good post Fleastiff, I just caught it.

I know they have also found trappers isolated and dead after a winter the same way. Surrounded with beaver meat and starved to death with potatoes nearby?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 31st, 2014 at 3:17:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
remov
November 5th, 2014 at 7:43:38 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd has been bailed to a Tauranga address after being charged with attempting to procure two murders.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/ac-dc-drummer-phil-rudd-accused-ordering-two-hits-6124495

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
November 6th, 2014 at 1:04:34 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: petroglyph
http://www.adn.com/article/20130919/jon-krakauer-responds-what-killed-chris-mccandless
Good post Fleastiff, I just caught it.
Glad you enjoyed it.

One member of the Corps of Discovery had a rifle or musket of some sort but no ammunition. He tried to fashion a bullet from the stub of a pencil and was close to starving in the midst of what was probably the densest game in the world at the time.

Our training and experience can help us or cost us our lives. Men who refused an Innuit's offer of his wife's winter urine and the companionship of his teenage daughter could succumb to depression as a result of following their cultural dictates.

>I know they have also found trappers isolated and dead after a winter the same way.
>Surrounded with beaver meat and starved to death with potatoes nearby?
I've not heard of any such incidents and wonder what potatoes have to do with it, but I'm sure the principle is sound in general. Its one reason to remember "When in Rome, ....". Even Praprika in a Hungarian winter can be the only significant source of Vitamin C available. And some fruits in the Yukon contain almost a thousand times as much vitamin c as an orange. So "eat local" can be a wise thing. A young lady sailor, after an adventure in the Canary Islands turned into physical pain, suffered a good bit of emotional pain when passers-by turned her over and let a man urinate on the soles of her feet, it being only later that she learned male urine will deactivate nematocysts.
November 6th, 2014 at 5:46:07 PM permalink
petroglyph
remov
November 7th, 2014 at 5:55:24 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Several items:

The plant found near the Into The Wild death site was locally called Black Bear Potatoes but was not a potato.

Dried Bark makes an excellent tea particularly in Winter when fresh food intake plunges and vitamins can easily be depleted. Bark, needles and sap resin are all capable of being of great value to the hungry.

Its not just saving for hard time but waiting for foods to "go good" rather than "go bad". A squirrel doesn't hide nuts as a storehouse but more as a pantry with microbial action taking place so the food will become more palatable.
November 7th, 2014 at 6:47:44 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: rxwine
AC/DC drummer Phil Rudd has been bailed to a Tauranga address after being charged with attempting to procure two murders.

http://tvnz.co.nz/national-news/ac-dc-drummer-phil-rudd-accused-ordering-two-hits-6124495

Only 1 day and the charges are dropped?
WTF.
Extremely serious charge, reputation shatterred, just about every news outlet on the planet reported this serious charge.
24 hours later, dropped.
WOW.
WTF is going on?
lawsuit now?
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"