In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

April 26th, 2021 at 6:49:24 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Mission146
I already said they are largely Christians.

Not sure what that has to do with things.

Asians were firmly Republican in the early 1990s. What has happened is they drifted left with the crowd as they mostly live in blue areas. Asians are not known so much for individualism but more for going with the consensus.

As Democrats call things like math and science "racist" they will likely drift back. Also as liberals discriminate against them in universities. They will have to start voting in their own self-interests.
The President is a fink.
April 26th, 2021 at 6:55:16 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Threads: 23
Quote: AZDuffman
Not sure what that has to do with things.

Asians were firmly Republican in the early 1990s. What has happened is they drifted left with the crowd as they mostly live in blue areas. Asians are not known so much for individualism but more for going with the consensus.

As Democrats call things like math and science "racist" they will likely drift back. Also as liberals discriminate against them in universities. They will have to start voting in their own self-interests.

Want to see the educational attainment by religious affiliation numbers? Conservatives like numbers, until they don’t.

Hopefully, the Asians will find their way to the Libertarian Party. No insane Millennials and Gen Z’ers, significantly fewer idiot Christians, per capita.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 26th, 2021 at 7:10:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Want to see the educational attainment by religious affiliation numbers? Conservatives like numbers, until they don’t.

Hopefully, the Asians will find their way to the Libertarian Party. No insane Millennials and Gen Z’ers, significantly fewer idiot Christians, per capita.

Conservatives don't tend to hang around school, they go out into the real world. We have "educated" people who just swallow whatever is put out because some other "educated person" said so. I put my value in real world achievement not how many letters someone has after their name.

These same people who say "THE SCIENCE IS SETTLED" for one thing ignore science when it does not fit their social agenda.
The President is a fink.
April 26th, 2021 at 7:31:35 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: AZDuffman

And the consensus is: Republicans suck.

At least, they must.... Cause righties keep telling us that “blue areas” are lawless hellscapes. Can’t imagine any peaceful Asian living in one voting blue!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 26th, 2021 at 11:33:25 AM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-poised-ban-menthol-cigarettes-week-experts-predict-n1265209

It appears likley the FDA will ban menthol cigarettes by Thursday (that is their court ordered deadline for them to decide). Menthol flavored cigarettes were the one flavor that were exempted for some reason when flavored cigarettes were banned in 2009 during the Tobacco Control Act.

One reason there appears to be more traction now is because of the increased acceptance of the reality of racial inequality in society (and menthols are known to be targeted at African American communities). So there is a large push from civil rights groups for menthol cigarettes to finally be banned (which on some of these issues can matter more than the science and health risks).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act
April 26th, 2021 at 11:39:02 AM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Quote: Gandler
https://www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/fda-poised-ban-menthol-cigarettes-week-experts-predict-n1265209

It appears likley the FDA will ban menthol cigarettes by Thursday (that is their court ordered deadline for them to decide). Menthol flavored cigarettes were the one flavor that were exempted for some reason when flavored cigarettes were banned in 2009 during the Tobacco Control Act.

One reason there appears to be more traction now is because of the increased acceptance of the reality of racial inequality in society (and menthols are known to be targeted at African American communities). So there is a large push from civil rights groups for menthol cigarettes to finally be banned (which on some of these issues can matter more than the science and health risks).

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Family_Smoking_Prevention_and_Tobacco_Control_Act

For some reason!? Oh, I don't know...maybe the inherent right to put whatever you want in your own body? Also, menthols had been around forever.

Anyway, tell your racist Liberal friends that my white ass loves menthols.
"War is the remedy that our enemies have chosen..let us give them all they want." William T. Sherman
April 26th, 2021 at 12:08:36 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
Redacted, for now.
April 26th, 2021 at 12:09:14 PM permalink
Gandler
For some reason!? Oh, I don't know...maybe the inherent right to put whatever you want in your own body? Also, menthols had been around forever.

Anyway, tell your racist Liberal friends that my white ass loves menthols.

My "for some reason" comment was why ban any flavors except Menthol legal?

I don't know the stats, and am too lazy too look them up, but menthols are hugley popular, and really the only flavor that ever were. If I had to guess it would be something like 55% smoke unflavored, 44% smoke menthol, and probably barley 1% smoked whatever other obsure flavors that existed before the ban.

So effectively all they did was ban obscure flavors that nobody was really smoking anyway....

I personally don't like menthols (I have never been a minty person in general). But, I think banning them or treating them different than any other cigarette is silly. I don't understand your comment about racist friends? I think most of the groups pushing for the menthol bans are headed by African Americans.... But, like I said, I don't agree with any flavors bans (San Francisco for example banned all flavors of all tobacco, even dip). I do understand their perspective (that historically menthol brands have targeted African Americans, which is certainly true).....
April 26th, 2021 at 12:15:14 PM permalink
Mission146
Administrator
You can be black and do something that is racist against blacks. Banning something because a certain race likes that thing disproportionately is a racist thing to do.
April 26th, 2021 at 12:23:56 PM permalink
Gandler
You can be black and do something that is racist against blacks. Banning something because a certain race likes that thing disproportionately is a racist thing to do.

You do realize Trump was the most restrictive President regarding tobacco in history?

He raised the ago to 21 for all tobacco products and made Federal flavor bans on vape products....