In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 16th, 2015 at 10:50:29 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: terapined

“They were like, ‘So you tried to make a bomb?’” Ahmed said.
“I told them no, I was trying to make a clock.”
“He said, ‘It looks like a movie bomb to me.’”

It does look like a movie bomb. That is the problem, the principal getting his information from movies, like how much else of the population. And people who make bombs don't say, "look, bomb!" Price of common sense keeps going up, but on principal's salary you would hope they could cover buying at least some.
The President is a fink.
September 16th, 2015 at 11:04:14 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: AZDuffman
It does look like a movie bomb. That is the problem, the principal getting his information from movies, like how much else of the population. And people who make bombs don't say, "look, bomb!" Price of common sense keeps going up, but on principal's salary you would hope they could cover buying at least some.

You saw a picture of the clock? Please link picture :-)

The police said the kid was not forthcoming because he kept saying it was just a clock.
Hmm
Its just a clock.

Nasa wants the kid to visit
Popular Mechanics said we need more kids like this
Engineers supporting the kid
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 16th, 2015 at 11:26:56 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: terapined
You saw a picture of the clock? Please link picture :-)

I thought I saw it in the article.

Quote:
Nasa wants the kid to visit
Popular Mechanics said we need more kids like this
Engineers supporting the kid

Tell the kid to join the DIY thread.
The President is a fink.
September 16th, 2015 at 12:37:02 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
There is some kind of minority of cops who get their jollies killing the family dog. IMHO some of this goes to where our cops look more like a branch of the military than cops. The "no knock" thing that looked so cool in the 1980s is now too normal.

This irks me to my core. Mail men deal with aggressive dogs multiple times per day. Maybe if it's an aggressive breed like a pit, or the others, but especially on those no knock warrants, it seems like the dog always gets killed. Even it it's the wrong house.

If it was any kind of guard dog [and therefore possibly dangerous], the dog would have met them at the door and the owner would know the cops are doing the covert entry ambush thing. Wouldn't you think PETA would say something?

And the reverse of this is the cops feel justified on sicking there K-9's on people. They turn them loose at night and the dogs bound off into the darkness, prepared to bite the next human the find. Dog bite's hurt like hell.

I just read our forwarded paper and a big story about how the cops tazered and continued to tazer an old native while he was running in fear and screaming in pain. A little guy with no weapons. This has gone completely overboard with the militarization of our police.

It is hard to comply fast enough with these thugs, they will taze and club some pretty meek people. One local gal just received 40k [chump change this day and age] because the thugs decided to play some kind of robo cop stuff on her and put in on you tube.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
September 16th, 2015 at 1:04:24 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: petroglyph
This irks me to my core. Mail men deal with aggressive dogs multiple times per day.

That's no stereotype. I'm like Caesar Milan every single day. Haven't even had to spray one yet. Even made an aggressive one lie at my feet using nothing but tone and body language. Though, there has been ~3 times when I just couldn't make a delivery. Cops don't have that ability. Of course, they say bear spray is more effective than any ballistic weapon, and if it works for bears...

I dunno about this whole cop thing. Growing up in a weird age makes it really hard for me to distinguish real vs appearance of real. I mean, is all this cop stuff is taking off. Is it because cops being douche canoes is becoming a problem? Or is this just standard and the technological age is revealing it? Is it increasing, or is it simply being caught more? I dunno.

We certainly need to stand up against police abuse, but I feel there is also a responsibility to not join the hordes of anti-police shit starters. Gotta find that middle.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
September 16th, 2015 at 2:01:56 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
edited
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2015 at 2:03:24 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: petroglyph
This irks me to my core. Mail men deal with aggressive dogs multiple times per day. Maybe if it's an aggressive breed like a pit, or the others, but especially on those no knock warrants, it seems like the dog always gets killed. Even it it's the wrong house.

Quote: Face

I dunno about this whole cop thing. Growing up in a weird age makes it really hard for me to distinguish real vs appearance of real. I mean, is all this cop stuff is taking off. Is it because cops being douche canoes is becoming a problem? Or is this just standard and the technological age is revealing it? Is it increasing, or is it simply being caught more? I dunno.

We certainly need to stand up against police abuse, but I feel there is also a responsibility to not join the hordes of anti-police shit starters. Gotta find that middle.

I am very of two minds on it all. I will say there are indeed bad cops out there. First thing to face is, some people want to be cops to be in charge. This kind usually washes out and end up as COs, but they are out there. There are also cops who think their job is to enforce every little law on the books as firmly as possible. These are the kind that will call your empty beer bottles going back to Wegman's for the deposit an "open container" and want to write you up. And there are other examples of guys that just should of taken a different career path.

OTOH, I have a super high threshold for claims of "discrimination." This comes from personal experience. I have had to fire several black guys in my time. All were for cause, some very serious cause. At the least lets say I was given a "look" and know they would be telling their friends how "whitey let me go for no reason." On the other end of the spectrum I was nearly attacked physically on two different occasions. This was as a boss, clearly a cop is going to face a higher level of that.

I will be the broken record, it all goes back to the 1960s and the decline in our society. By the late 1960s, drug use was skyrocketing, though the violence associated with drugs was still a decade away for the most part. Urban neighborhoods were starting to decay as the "good" people left for the suburbs and took their behavior example with them. Meanwhile, cops still were patrolling like it was the 1950s.

Eventually the cops woke up. We saw no-knock warrants on "Cops" or "20/20" and said "FINALLY!" So we got more of them. Cops became more armed, being more armed removes you from the people you serve.

Now we are having the blacklivesmatter crowd call for open violence against cops. Rioters getting cash settlements, and other people arrested as well. It is getting very, very bad out there. Not sure where it ends, but I am sure we are just at the beginning.
The President is a fink.
September 16th, 2015 at 2:05:37 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Face

I dunno about this whole cop thing. Growing up in a weird age

I don't blame any of the adults in
this story, except maybe the moron
parents of the kid. We are Muslimphobic
for good reason. Sure, a Muslim citizen
has all the rights of any other citizen.
So did blacks in 1940. We remember
what that was really like.

This is a pic of the clock:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 16th, 2015 at 2:09:53 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Somebody is hoaxing you EB. I already saw a couple pics, that's not it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 16th, 2015 at 2:31:42 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Now we are having the blacklivesmatter crowd call for open violence against cops. Rioters getting cash settlements
*^*# rioters and looters, I agree with being assertive with that type of crowd .

My wife grew up in Dearborn Mich., most of the extended family worked around Ford. My wife almost dated "Hank the deuce". She also made some kind of executive secretary for int'l sales? Anyway she was there when Mayor Hubbard mounted 50 cal. machine guns on top of the tall buildings in Dearborn and broadcast that he was ready if the rioters in Detroit decided to expand out to the suburbs. He wasn't kidding. Now many an old timer from Dearborn, hang their heads in shame and disgust, that it has become muslim central for the US.

I have been smacked around a bit, for being drunk and a punk. I had it coming, I still haven't complained to this day. I don't blame them a bit.

On the other hand, 4 marines beat me up on the police lawn, just before being deployed. I didn't have that one coming.

Back to my point. It seems often a little surveillance would be more in order sometimes. They have all these "stingray" devices, exothermic cameras and so forth. Unless lives are in immediate danger, I don't like to see this no knock, guns drawn shoot the family dog first thing. It's really rotten when it's the wrong house or the dog didn't have it coming. You know how integrated a dog can be in a family.

If a K-9 gets killed in the line of duty or old age, they have a full funeral for it, like their dogs lives matter. Quit shooting the dogs, use sleep gas like the Russians did in the theater or something. DLM, dogs lives matter : )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW