In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

October 14th, 2015 at 3:44:16 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: AZDuffman
My reading is if you only intended to beat and not to kill. Sorry, you asked.

It's the correct call.

Murder is usually given if there was intent to kill. Here, they were intending to beat someone. It'd be kind of like if I lost my temper and clunked a putz upside the head with my hockey stick. I sure intended it to hurt, but I didn't mean to kill him. As they did a purposeful violent act that resulted in a death, they're probably looking at voluntary manslaughter, as opposed to involuntary. But still manslaughter.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 14th, 2015 at 10:19:42 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
The strangest star astronomers have found in the universe is KIC 8462852. (It’s visible to the naked eye, in the Northern hemisphere between 2 constellations, Cygnus and Lyra.)

Quote: The Atlantic
“We’d never seen anything like this star,” says Tabetha Boyajian, a postdoc at Yale. “It was really weird. We thought it might be bad data or movement on the [Kepler] spacecraft, but everything checked out.”

What makes it so peculiar is that there is an enormous object repeatedly and randomly passing in front of it. (Key word being enormous: the mystery object is easily 6,500 times bigger than Earth, but probably even bigger.) A planet, right? Nope, the object’s movements are too erratic to be an orbiting planet.

So what the hell is the object? There are literally just two hypotheses:

1) a cloud of comets
2) a giant Dyson sphere built by advanced aliens

It’s probably just a bunch of comets.
October 15th, 2015 at 3:11:21 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
A flapping tag saying "Made in Japan"
October 15th, 2015 at 6:09:54 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Quote: reno
So what the hell is the object? There are literally just two hypotheses:

1) a cloud of comets
2) a giant Dyson sphere built by advanced aliens

3) The Death Star

;)
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 15th, 2015 at 8:07:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
The nutty Westboro Baptist Church
Extreme Christians that don't represent average Christians just as extreme Muslims don't represent average Muslims
I just heard about their latest plan to protest
And I'm like WTF
They plan to picket Kim Davis (Ky clerk went to jail rather then issue gay marriage license)
You would think they are on Team Kim, nope, they claim she is a fake Christian.
Wow
Do these people hate everybody on the planet?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2015/10/15/westboro-baptist-church-will-picket-outside-kim-davis-office-because-shes-a-fake-christian/
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 15th, 2015 at 8:52:36 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: terapined

Do these people hate everybody on the planet?

Pretty much.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
October 16th, 2015 at 3:21:20 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135

You would think they are on Team Kim, nope, they claim she is a fake Christian.

Kind of what the homophiles were saying from the beginning, pointing out her divorces and such. Never thought I would see both on the same side.
The President is a fink.
October 16th, 2015 at 8:49:16 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
My guess is that Playboy now wants to emulate the success of Maxim.
Maxim is an international men's magazine, devised and launched in the UK in 1995, but based in New York since 1997, and prominent for its photography of actresses, singers, and female models whose careers are at a current peak. It is the largest young men's lifestyle brand in America, reaching nearly 9 million readers each month. Maxim Digital reaches more than 4 million unique viewers each month. Maxim magazine publishes 16 editions, sold in 75 countries worldwide.
October 16th, 2015 at 10:09:39 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
The nutty Westboro Baptist Church
Extreme Christians that don't represent average Christians just as extreme Muslims don't represent average Muslims

Agreed. But when other Christians spend more time demonizing gays than condemning the Westboro Baptist Church, they don't improve their collective image much.

It's like when police departments keep saying most cops are decent, honorable people, and it's only a few bad apples who use "excessive" force or commit acts of police brutality. I can believe that. but when the bulk of the police force makes it a priority to protect the "bad apples," indeed when such protection is institutionalized, what impression should we take?
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
October 16th, 2015 at 2:53:41 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Pacomartin
My guess is that Playboy now wants to emulate the success of Maxim.
Maxim is an international men's magazine, devised and launched in the UK in 1995, but based in New York since 1997, and prominent for its photography of actresses, singers, and female models whose careers are at a current peak. It is the largest young men's lifestyle brand in America, reaching nearly 9 million readers each month. Maxim Digital reaches more than 4 million unique viewers each month. Maxim magazine publishes 16 editions, sold in 75 countries worldwide.

They have already said as much. I still predict failure, Playboy is going to look like Cadillac in the 1980s when they half-assed tried to imitate the German cars. From a pioneer to a "me too!" mag.
The President is a fink.