In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

June 14th, 2022 at 8:42:43 AM permalink
SOOPOO
Threads: 22
Quote: rxwine
I wonder how many sports an amateur, can more or less walk in and attempt to qualify? Granted I've never even come close to the initial qualification.

If you are not a golfer you can’t imagine how good a 1 handicap golfer is. I play with a guy who is a 4 and he is light years better than someone like me (13 now) who most would consider a ‘good’ golfer. The best example of a ‘sport’ where amateurs have a chance is the WSOP!
June 14th, 2022 at 11:43:47 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
The Dow Jones is down 2800 points in just the last 5 days, 6254 for the year. The RNC average for Biden's popularity is the lowest it's ever been. Gas prices have gone up 17 days in a row. Thanks Captain Poopypants. He could change some of this immediately by taking back some of the things he's done to devastate the oil industry but he won't do that. And Bitcoin is down 25,000 for the year but does anybody even care about that anymore? And the weird thing is there are tons of jobs more jobs that we have people to fill them. Taco Bell in my area is paying $18 an hour to make tacos. And they can't find anybody.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
June 14th, 2022 at 12:12:36 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: Evenbob
The Dow Jones is down 2800 points in just the last 5 days, 6254 for the year. The RNC average for Biden's popularity is the lowest it's ever been. Gas prices have gone up 17 days in a row. Thanks Captain Poopypants. He could change some of this immediately by taking back some of the things he's done to devastate the oil industry but he won't do that. And Bitcoin is down 25,000 for the year but does anybody even care about that anymore? And the weird thing is there are tons of jobs more jobs that we have people to fill them. Taco Bell in my area is paying $18 an hour to make tacos. And they can't find anybody.
I don't understand why people don't need that money? Not counting those that already worked a lifetime, there is a fresh group of young people just out of high school that used to work most of those jobs. Eighteen dollars per, isn't career money "anymore" but it's not nothing either. You know there are millions of working age people that just don't want to join in the labor pool. I know a couple, and their answer is they are taking a break and then going to college. Going to major in this or that, not sure. But they aren't coming from a family that has money, a single parent in fact. Plus the two and a half million illegals, they need to eat and clothes and so on. Hopefully the farmers are able to get enough ag workers. Why can people not take these jobs is what I don't get.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
June 14th, 2022 at 1:10:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote:
Wind and solar generated 27 gigawatts of electricity during Sunday's peak demand -- close to 40% of the total needed.
"Texas is, by rhetoric, anti-renewables. But frankly, renewables are bailing us out," said Michael Webber, an energy expert and professor at the University of Texas at Austin. "They're rocking. That really spares us a lot of heartache and a lot of money."
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 14th, 2022 at 1:50:36 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
There are tons of renewable energy projects going on in Texas. I think that is great.

The problem comes in when the wind dies down to nothing (or is too high) and/or there is cloud cover, we are right back to oil products or coal to produce energy.

We need more nuclear power. We need more constant power to move towards a greener future.

Texas is a oil state…and, right now, we should be producing as much oil as possible until we can move forward with affordable green energy and vehicles.
June 14th, 2022 at 5:16:05 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
"energy expert and professor at the University of Texas at Austin" That is all you need to know to understand his quote.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 14th, 2022 at 5:41:37 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Quote: kenarman
"energy expert and professor at the University of Texas at Austin" That is all you need to know to understand his quote.

Email him and explain why he's wrong.

https://www.me.utexas.edu/people/faculty-directory/webber

Dr. Michael Webber is the Josey Centennial Professor in Energy Resources, Author, and Professor of Mechanical Engineering at the University of Texas at Austin, where he teaches and conducts research at the convergence of engineering, policy, and commercialization.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
June 14th, 2022 at 5:43:46 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8

There are at least four huge solar projects within 20 miles of here. He ignores the growing amount of renewables all around the state. Yes, this is an oil producing state. It just isn’t the only game in town.

This guy should be talking up safe nuclear instead of being stuck in the past.

Austin is full of dipshits like him. He is very smart. He also has financial interests in green energy.

I’m good with green as long as it does not destroy the economy. We can do both…have greener futures and a good economy, but it needs to be done carefully.
June 14th, 2022 at 5:56:11 PM permalink
kenarman
Threads: 14
Quote: RonC
There are at least four huge solar projects within 20 miles of here. He ignores the growing amount of renewables all around the state. Yes, this is an oil producing state. It just isn’t the only game in town.

This guy should be talking up safe nuclear instead of being stuck in the past.

Austin is full of dipshits like him. He is very smart. He also has financial interests in green energy.

I’m good with green as long as it does not destroy the economy. We can do both…have greener futures and a good economy, but it needs to be done carefully.

Wind was 23% and solar was 2% in Texas in 2020 so he cherry picked a particular day when the wind speed was right. I stand by my statement.
"but if you make yourselves sheep, the wolves will eat you." Benjamin Franklin
June 14th, 2022 at 6:08:48 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29

Yes - it tells us he is much more intelligent than you.
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman