In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

August 25th, 2022 at 3:13:25 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Its not helping the rich, its only for undergrad loans, and has an income cap of 150k.

College grads earn more than non-grads. Thus it is a break for the rich. $150,000 per year is pretty rich.

Quote:
College being free is not bizarre and dangerous, as we discussed before in the 1970s and earlier many Community Colleges were completely free (except books and supplies), and Community Colleges are also (often) where people get trade certifications, so if you want more welders and mechanics, etc.... this is excellent.
I think Community Colleges should be 100% free. And, I think there is a valid argument for State Universities being free.

College being free is an awful idea. Classrooms will be filled with people who do not care as they are not paying for it.

How could it be free? How will you get the professors and staff to work for free?

What you mean is you want cheap and lazy people to have an education.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2022 at 3:21:32 PM permalink
Gandler
Threads: 27
Quote: AZDuffman
College grads earn more than non-grads. Thus it is a break for the rich. $150,000 per year is pretty rich.

College being free is an awful idea. Classrooms will be filled with people who do not care as they are not paying for it.

How could it be free? How will you get the professors and staff to work for free?

What you mean is you want cheap and lazy people to have an education.

Cheap maybe? Lazy, no..... No bum is going to start randomly taking night classes at a community college if they are free. But, a single mother working may.

Lazy people are already in college, income is the big issue. When I say "lazy no", I mean people who have no interest in college are not going to start having an interest because it is free. And, lazy people already in college do not care about having parents pay for it, or taking absurd loans etc.... Let's face it, many people are in traditional (four year) college because they are pressured by parents and society and are just (often barely) checking the box, this is generally not the case in community college.

It is very hard for somebody working full time and taking care of expenses to go to school (which takes up not only money, but time in which they could be making more money), its easier if there are no expenses involved. Somebody may be just one year away from making drastically more income if they get say a welding or construction management certification at their local community college and income may be the only barrier. This is why I fully support free community college but have mixed feelings about four-year universities.
August 25th, 2022 at 3:56:50 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Gandler
Cheap maybe? Lazy, no..... No bum is going to start randomly taking night classes at a community college if they are free. But, a single mother working may.

You haven't been to may community colleges. I remember the story my assistant manager told me about his. Said he walked in and saw the same idiots from high school just hanging around for what amounted to 13th grade. He just went to registration and dropped out that first day.

See, make it free an idiots overrun the place. Just to pass the time. Let the single mom pay just like everyone else, keeps that type out.

Quote:
Lazy people are already in college, income is the big issue. When I say "lazy no", I mean people who have no interest in college are not going to start having an interest because it is free. And, lazy people already in college do not care about having parents pay for it, or taking absurd loans etc.... Let's face it, many people are in traditional (four year) college because they are pressured by parents and society and are just (often barely) checking the box, this is generally not the case in community college.

Do you understand human nature at all? People line up for free stuff. We waste too much money as it is sending kids to college who do not belong there. Why waste more to send more?

Quote:
It is very hard for somebody working full time and taking care of expenses to go to school (which takes up not only money, but time in which they could be making more money), its easier if there are no expenses involved.

What isn't? If it is worth it to them they will find a way. Same as immigrants who work long hours to start a business. Sorry, but life is not free and easy.

Quote:
Somebody may be just one year away from making drastically more income if they get say a welding or construction management certification at their local community college and income may be the only barrier. This is why I fully support free community college but have mixed feelings about four-year universities.

Again, they will find a way. It is what separates the motivated from the unmotivated.
The President is a fink.
August 25th, 2022 at 4:22:36 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
The WH Twitter account is actively trolling GOPer hypocrites tonight who are complaining about the student loan forgiveness. They had no problem with loan forgiveness when it was THEIR PPP loans.

It’s glorious:

https://twitter.com/whitehouse/status/1562916200866267138?s=21&t=x9JkDyQin8mQ62K-awqLSA
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 25th, 2022 at 5:18:44 PM permalink
rquiredusername
Threads: 0
Lots of righties taking defiant L’s.
August 25th, 2022 at 7:59:11 PM permalink
JCW09
Threads: 12
Best line I saw over the last 24 hours: "My Home Mortgage identifies as a Student Loan, I qualify for the $10K, right?"
Not a chance because we all know The House Plant Admin is full of mortgage bigots that deny that trans-loans even exist.
LMAO
Def. of Liar - "A Person Who Tells Lies" / "I lied. Deal with it" - ams288
August 26th, 2022 at 3:59:17 AM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
Quote: JCW09
Best line I saw over the last 24 hours: "My Home Mortgage identifies as a Student Loan, I qualify for the $10K, right?"
Not a chance because we all know The House Plant Admin is full of mortgage bigots that deny that trans-loans even exist.
LMAO

Don’t you claim to run a “successful” business?

I wonder if you took any PPP money during the pandemic and had it forgiven…
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
August 26th, 2022 at 7:09:24 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
https://www.yahoo.com/news/tomato-flu-viral-infection-spreading-155433317.html
A new, highly contagious viral infection that has been dubbed "tomato flu" is spreading among children in India, the country's Health Ministry said this week.

Uh oh
No doubt Trumpers are desperately trying to connect Fauci to this virus :-)
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 26th, 2022 at 7:31:25 AM permalink
gamerfreak
Threads: 4
Quote: AZDuffman

Really depends on location.

My wife and I are a good bit over $150k combined income, but house hunting in the Philly suburbs I feel pretty much anything other than rich. We paid off student loans years ago though.
August 26th, 2022 at 7:49:46 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
eligibility for loan forgiveness is for individuals <125k and households <250K. 250K is about the 94th percentile of household income.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.