In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

February 27th, 2016 at 8:12:36 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
Quote: AZDuffman
Seriously, I guess I always took map reading for granted. We went on trips to relatives about 100 miles away and the adults always taught us to read them map. I learned in Cub Scouts. As a little kid I knew this stuff. Then as an adult I heard so often people could not do it! Pre-GPS I heard it. I may not be normal, getting the google earth game to 0.3 yards of accuracy, but to tell me you cannot drive across town on a map?

Maybe you would enjoy orienteering races? http://qoc.us.orienteering.org/content/about-orienteering or competition geo-caching?
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
February 27th, 2016 at 9:33:48 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Which "first" one? 2002 or the 1970s? Curious because I can believe people were that dense.

Seventies, no cell phones, no tactile knowledge of a keyboard or telephone keypad.

>>>>Seriously, I guess I always took map reading for granted.
What's that they say in the Army: the most dangerous thing in the world is a second lieutenant who thinks he can read a map.

Its often taught at wilderness camps and wilderness camps for at risk youth but one recent class had about fifteen women in it and only a few were late teens or something.
March 2nd, 2016 at 8:12:23 PM permalink
Dalex64
Threads: 3
Western Michigan cops are going to start issuing warnings and possibly citations to people violating the "stay right except to pass" law.

www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/03/left-lane_drivers_beware_state.html#incart_river_mobile_home_pop

Quote:
Police say that slower drivers in the left lane disrupt traffic flow and can create dangers "as frustrated motorists attempt risky maneuvers to get around the log jam." Davis said drivers sometimes take chances to get around slow drivers in the left lane. It poses a danger on the highway and can lead to road rage.

This isn't a license to speed, just a reminder to stay right if possible.
"Everyone is entitled to his own opinion, but not to his own facts." Daniel Patrick Moynihan
March 3rd, 2016 at 2:38:09 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Dalex64
Western Michigan cops are going to start issuing warnings and possibly citations to people violating the "stay right except to pass" law.

www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2016/03/left-lane_drivers_beware_state.html#incart_river_mobile_home_pop

This isn't a license to speed, just a reminder to stay right if possible.

About time, one of the biggest mistakes American drivers make. Causes many issues.
The President is a fink.
March 3rd, 2016 at 3:07:08 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
About time, one of the biggest mistakes American drivers make. Causes many issues.

Some people do it on purpose.

(why does it seem like Evenbob might sometimes enjoy driving slow in the left lane? I don't know. A Mystery, why I just thought of that)
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
March 3rd, 2016 at 3:27:03 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: rxwine
Some people do it on purpose.

(why does it seem like Evenbob might sometimes enjoy driving slow in the left lane? I don't know. A Mystery, why I just thought of that)

It is one of my biggest pet peeves about driving, that and failure to properly zipper-merge.

On the later I intentionally cut a guy (chick?) off earlier this week for refusing to let me do that at the scene of an accident. I hope the 10 seconds he was going to save cost her a job interview or something. Come on, America, take your turn not the other guy's.
The President is a fink.
March 3rd, 2016 at 8:03:12 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
If one lane is obstructed and the other is not, the unobstructed traffic has right of way and people in the lane that is obstructed should merge well before approaching the accident site and expecting to be let in to ongoing traffic.
March 3rd, 2016 at 9:12:08 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: Fleastiff
If one lane is obstructed and the other is not, the unobstructed traffic has right of way and people in the lane that is obstructed should merge well before approaching the accident site and expecting to be let in to ongoing traffic.

An entire half of the road was obstructed and it was a red light. No warning either. This is the same as the early merge thing. Both lanes usable you use both and zipper merge where it is stopped. This is the most efficient way.

The person was being a jerk. It was a clear take turns situation at 5 mph. Not a highway with warning.
The President is a fink.
March 3rd, 2016 at 11:23:44 AM permalink
petroglyph
An entire half of the road was obstructed and it was a red light. No warning either. This is the same as the early merge thing. Both lanes usable you use both and zipper merge where it is stopped. This is the most efficient way.

The person was being a jerk. It was a clear take turns situation at 5 mph. Not a highway with warning.
I got into traffic going towards Tucson lately at evening rush hour. Me in the slow lane trying to keep safe distance. Other drivers will not allow that. I even had 3 pass me on the right side of the fog line, acting like it was a traffic lane before they cut in front of me.

I understand why some are compelled to road rage.

That is a good law, citing drivers impeding the even flow of traffic.
March 7th, 2016 at 1:29:47 PM permalink
petroglyph
http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-03-07/chinese-hackers-break-ny-fed-steal-100-million-bangladesh-central-bank#comments If you don't hold it, you don't have it.