In The News Today...

Thread Rating:

September 28th, 2018 at 7:20:32 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Quote: JimRockford
Or you make sure other evidence is not looked at.
(Damn, I said I wouldn't comment on this topic.)
No one looks at the evidence. You call them 'survivors' and they are to be believed no matter what they say and you drown out all other voices with chants of Believe The Survivors and Tell The Truth, Don't Lie. Thy lynch mobs must have their fun and survivors must have their compensation. Destroy.

Look at Jian Ghomeshi's attempted come back: they fired the editor of the NYRB for printing anything other than Ghomeshi must do penance at hard labor forever for having attitudes that females did not approve of.

Look at Geoffrey Rush... the King Lear/King Leer guy in Australia. The press keep linking his name with all the truly horrible accusations that have been made against other men but the courts are perfectly happy to let his name be linked to anything at all no matter how scandalous even though the evidence against him is weak and the alleged offense borders on the trivial.

Look at Bicycle Gate. Look at all the compensation money paid to so-called victims of Rolf Harris.

Evidence? No one looks at evidence. You only look at headlines and compensation checks.
September 28th, 2018 at 7:24:26 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Or you make sure other evidence is not looked at.
(Damn, I said I wouldn't comment on this topic.)

I agree
I have friends that drank a lot during my younger years
They really don't remember much because they were so wasted.
I tell them stories from the old days and they don't remember
I don't drink, I pretty much remember everything
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
September 28th, 2018 at 9:48:08 AM permalink
JimRockford
Threads: 2
Quote: AZDuffman
What "other evidence?" There is none in this case. Nothing but "she said" 35 years later.

There is clearly no interest in producing any evidence , not even third party witness testimony.
The mind hungers for that on which it feeds.
September 28th, 2018 at 10:00:21 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
There is clearly no interest in producing any evidence , not even third party witness testimony.

Correct. The interest is just in destroying a man's reputation and laying groundwork to question anything he says or does for decades. Politics of personal destruction. Same playbook for 30+ years now.
The President is a fink.
September 28th, 2018 at 4:22:11 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
It's interesting how Mark Judge's attorney is using different language in response to Ford's accusation compared to Swetnick's accusation.

With Swetnick's claims, Mark Judge says "I categorically deny them."

But with Ford? There's wiggle room, he's a bit more vague. "I do not recall the events"

Both of the statements were written by the same lawyer, and a good lawyer chooses their words very very carefully. Shouldn't he "categorically deny" both women's claims equally?
September 29th, 2018 at 12:08:48 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Sears is now a penny stock.

The mighty brand name sure has fallen.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
September 29th, 2018 at 2:07:49 AM permalink
Fleastiff
The industry collapsed and the company was so poorly run that the primary customer for many storage unit places was Sears.
September 29th, 2018 at 4:05:06 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Fleastiff
The industry collapsed and the company was so poorly run that the primary customer for many storage unit places was Sears.

The industry is still around. Poor operators collapsed, Sears being one of them. Their collapse was decades long, similar to A&P.

They will now probably die in Q1 2019. Kenmore and a few other slithers of meat on the bones to be picked away. The decline will be studied by business students in the future, they will have never visited a store but wonder how a company that built their private label to houses and cars could fall.

In 50 years it could be WMT falling the same way.
The President is a fink.
September 29th, 2018 at 10:50:12 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: AZDuffman
The decline will be studied by business students in the future.

I knew old guys in the 80's
and 90's who went to farm
auctions and bought old
worn out Craftsman tools.
They had a lifetime guarantee
and they would trade them
in at Sears for new ones, and
then sell them.

I wondered how many guys
in the US were doing this, and
the effect it had on Sears. It
certainly wasn't good.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
September 29th, 2018 at 11:07:56 AM permalink
Fleastiff
A greater financial drain on them was the home appliance inspection service they offered. Every time some improperly installed water heater caused a fire they had to pay for not red-tagging it and if the fire destroyed much of the evidence they usually had to settle out of court.