1500yr old bible found

Page 1 of 212>
May 4th, 2014 at 7:27:28 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Is this the beginning of the end or will the believers put their "spin" on it?

1500 year old Bible found in the year 2000 but kept under wraps
May 4th, 2014 at 8:40:12 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
It's not a Bible but an apocryphal gospel of Barnabas. Along with toeing the Islamic party line about Jesus it actually has Jesus apparently predicting the coming of Muhammad. It is not nor has ever been part of the Bible.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 4th, 2014 at 9:11:01 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
It's not a Bible but an apocryphal gospel of Barnabas.

Just another gospel that didn't fit with what
Church was trying say, so they excluded it.
The New Testament, and Old T also, is just
a hodge podge of writings specifically chosen
to bolster a certain point of view. If what
you wrote was true, but didn't fit the narrative,
oh well, it was tossed out. There are still so
many contradictions that it doesn't make
sense without a boatload of apologists to
explain it.

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 4th, 2014 at 9:15:31 PM permalink
aceofspades
It's not a Bible but an apocryphal gospel of Barnabas. Along with toeing the Islamic party line about Jesus it actually has Jesus apparently predicting the coming of Muhammad. It is not nor has ever been part of the Bible.

One man's apocrypha is another man's……….

Also, why shouldn't Jesus have predicted the coming of Mohammed? Was he not able to predict such a thing…?
May 5th, 2014 at 6:35:05 AM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
What in our society would be considered authoritative?

The Congressional Record or Playboy magazine? Will some archeologists of the future think we valued Supermarket Ads?

I have no idea what ancient scribbles were prized or why. Much of the past has been unearthed from what were essentially garbage pits. Items found in caves may have been the ramblings of demented hermits who had been banished from society. Would a future archeologist give great value to the rambling manifesto of that Monk on a Mountain Top in Montana, the guy who bombed airlines and university buildings?
May 5th, 2014 at 8:24:24 AM permalink
FrGamble
Things that were true were not excluded from the Bible it was the things that were not true that didn't make the cut. You also fail to realize who was making the decisions here. The people knew what spoke authentically about Jesus Christ and what to throw in the garbage heap. The Church guided by the Holy Spirit ratified what everyone already knew that writings such as the gospel of Thomas or Barnabas or just about anything written by Evenbob was not correct. :-)

I guess you are right in that Jesus did predict the coming of many false prophets, but for Christians there is no further revelation from God expected because you can't get any better than the fullness of God in Jesus Christ.

Finally, I think it will be easier for archaeologists than you think because history is living. When you dig up ramblings of a crazy hermit you quickly realize that no one is talking about his visions of a flying spaghetti monster. However, when you find some text that refers to Jesus and over a quarter of the world's population believes He is God and our dating system is based on His life, well then you can be pretty sure it is important.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
May 5th, 2014 at 8:29:24 AM permalink
aceofspades
Things that were true were not excluded from the Bible it was the things that were not true that didn't make the cut. You also fail to realize who was making the decisions here. The people knew what spoke authentically about Jesus Christ and what to throw in the garbage heap. The Church guided by the Holy Spirit ratified what everyone already knew that writings such as the gospel of Thomas or Barnabas or just about anything written by Evenbob was not correct. :-)

Once you claim that the right and wrong books were divined, there is no argument…once again padre, it is all circular

How do you know it was not the devil in disguise (thank you Elvis) who guided the ratifiers?
May 5th, 2014 at 1:09:41 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Things that were true were not excluded from the Bible it was the things that were not true that didn't make the cut. You also fail to realize who was making the decisions here. The people knew what spoke authentically about Jesus Christ and what to throw in the garbage heap. The Church guided by the Holy Spirit ratified what everyone already knew that writings such as the gospel of Thomas or Barnabas or just about anything written by Evenbob was not correct. :-).
A little more spirits and they might well have ratified the flying spaghetti monster. Then again, I believe the Spanish Inquisition was ratified by the Church while guided by the Holy Spirit. I think you can read that ratification in books written and bound with the skin of witches.
May 5th, 2014 at 1:29:44 PM permalink
FrGamble
Quote: aceofspades
Once you claim that the right and wrong books were divined, there is no argument…once again padre, it is all circular

How do you know it was not the devil in disguise (thank you Elvis) who guided the ratifiers?

I actually agree with you for once about the circular argument in this one instance. Arguing if the Church chose the right books for its Bible is kind of like arguing with the author of a novel for his/her choice of characters. You might think the characters are wrong but you're not the author. The Catholic Church put together the Bible so it is kind of silly to say they put it together wrong. Write your own Bible and let's see if its on the best seller list forever!
May 5th, 2014 at 1:31:29 PM permalink
aceofspades
I actually agree with you for once about the circular argument in this one instance. Arguing if the Church chose the right books for its Bible is kind of like arguing with the author of a novel for his/her choice of characters. You might think the characters are wrong but you're not the author. The Catholic Church put together the Bible so it is kind of silly to say they put it together wrong. Write your own Bible and let's see if its on the best seller list forever!

I don't have 2000 years of indoctrination behind me to compete with that
Page 1 of 212>