Gun Control

April 27th, 2015 at 1:33:18 AM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
At last count I had 14 handguns. I'll tell
you when I have enough. Lets not even
get into the long guns..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 19th, 2015 at 12:37:19 PM permalink
reno
Threads: 58
The owners of a gun store in Oklahoma announced last week they were refusing to serve Muslims, so an influx of armed "patriots" volunteered to guard the store just in case Al Qaeda or ISIS has a sleeper cell in Oktaha, Oklahoma.

You can take a wild guess what happened next...

Quote: KOTV-6

OKTAHA, Oklahoma - The Muskogee County sheriff said a member of the group guarding an Oktaha gun shop accidentally shot himself Tuesday. Sheriff Charles Pearson said the man dropped his gun and a bullet hit him in the arm.
Pearson said. "The way they were holding their weapons, with the fingers on the triggers, you can tell a couple of these gentlemen have no idea about weapons safety."
August 19th, 2015 at 1:00:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: reno
The owners of a gun store in Oklahoma announced last week they were refusing to serve Muslims, so an influx of armed "patriots" volunteered to guard the store just in case Al Qaeda or ISIS has a sleeper cell in Oktaha, Oklahoma.

You can take a wild guess what happened next...

How can you tell if someone is a Muslim?
If I see somebody, I don't have the foggiest idea if the person is a Christian.
How can somebody prove they are not a Muslim?
I have a copy of the Bible and the Koran in my home yet I'm an Atheist.
This is so absurd.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 19th, 2015 at 4:18:38 PM permalink
reno
Quote: terapined
How can you tell if someone is a Muslim?
If I see somebody, I don't have the foggiest idea if the person is a Christian.
How can somebody prove they are not a Muslim?

Ha, good point. These Oklahomans seem to think that all Muslims are from the Middle East and they all have names like Khalid Shaikh Mohammed. Indonesia has more Muslims than any other country. An Indonesian radical Muslim terrorist could dress up in a Catholic Priest costume and easily pass for a Fillipino, (most of whom are Catholic). Better safe than sorry: the gun store owners of Oktaha should also ban gun sales to Catholic Fillipinos, just in case.

In college I knew a white guy (blonde hair, blue eyes) from rural Ohio who had become a devout Muslim. Rare, but not unheard of.
August 19th, 2015 at 6:00:54 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
What a doozie. First, good. Some part of me smiles when a dumb person shoots their dumb self. I'm cool with "patriots" guarding when others will / can not, such as the war vet whose guns were about to be taken away, or the military base where soldiers were not allowed to carry. But if you're going to do so, you have to be at least half competent. In reality, you should be completely professional. If it was my house or my business, damn sure I'd be out there picking and choosing. You can (usually) tell a gunner from a yahoo a mile away.

Second,... the whole gay cake thing? Sure, I suppose I lean towards support for the owner. Not because religion, or because "eww gays", but simply because it's his business and he should be able to conduct it as such. Same for blacks, or jews, or guys named Steve. If you don't want to serve, you shouldn't have to, and you should suffer or revel in what results from your decision. I kind of have to side the same way with this, assuming of course he is not the only FFL in all of OK (which he surely cannot be). I wouldn't consider it an infringement on the 2nd, as he is not preventing them ownership.

So ban Muslims? I wouldn't, I think it's silly bordering on stupid, but everyone has a right to be stupid. Go for it. Shoot your own damn self? Better than somebody else.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 20th, 2015 at 11:46:05 AM permalink
reno
An indoor gun shooting range in Daytona Beach, FL has been granted a liquor license.

What could possibly go wrong?
August 20th, 2015 at 1:18:21 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Interesting. I know in NY, guns and booze don't mix. In fact, guns and even the presence of booze don't mix. Take your piece into a bar and have 10 Pepsi's, and you're still committing a misdemeanor weapons offense. You can take it to Red Lobster, but you cannot cross that line where the tile of the bar area begins.

On the surface, I'm cool with it. It would be nice to have guns and other activities at one place, be it eating, drinking, whatever. And I'll admit, I have shot with a beer on the table and two more inside me. But there is definitely a danger. Me and pops, we're not getting sloshed and ripping off a mag, or going hunting. If Pops had 2 or 3, my danger-o-meter wouldn't raise a tick. I know how he handles, because that's where I got a lot of my habits from, and they're ample. His neighbor I don't even like to be around sober, doubly so with a weapon, and hell to the no with weapon and booze. Strangers I treat just like that neighbor. I might start off with respect to strangers as a rule, but I start off with distrust of carrying strangers just the same. Respecting an asshole's never got me killed. Trusting an unknown shooter... that's different.

I do hope it's really what the owner implied and what I'm assuming, that it's somewhere to hang out, have some beers, and talk guns after playtime is over. I gotta think anyone smart enough to run a business is smart enough to make sure the two don't mix. Here's praying this piece is just some sensationalism trying to rile folks up.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 20th, 2015 at 1:58:56 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Without knowing the history, I feel like the alcohol and guns idea probably worked itself out already, from we tried it, and it didn't really work out very well.

It hard to believe it hasn't been tried -- all the way back at leave your swords outside before ya'll start boozing it up in my establishment.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 20th, 2015 at 2:07:13 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
Also, it is literally possible to be blind drunk, as I've experienced it. You can still see, but not who or what exactly, and you can still move and pick things up. And you can still make decisions; not necessarily good ones. This state may proceed passing out or puking, but it certainly happens. But it's enough to get you in trouble.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 21st, 2015 at 5:00:41 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Face
Interesting

I do hope it's really what the owner implied and what I'm assuming, that it's somewhere to hang out, have some beers, and talk guns after playtime is over. I gotta think anyone smart enough to run a business is smart enough to make sure the two don't mix. Here's praying this piece is just some sensationalism trying to rile folks up.

+1

While I agree guns and booze do not mix, I also figure there are plenty of gun clubs where as you say, people relax after shooting some targets. I can see trying to make it a sort of social-club and getting folks to spend more time. Done right is should be perfectly safe.

If people want to get loaded and shoot there is any number of open areas where they can do it and nobody will bother them.
The President is a fink.