Gun Control

October 18th, 2015 at 2:21:18 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: Face
In some hunting you don't shoot to kill, but rather to maim

Geez, Face, that's quotable material for the anti-gun crowd. Watch how you put it LOL. Not that what you say is wrong. I'd say most of us shoot at a range where the game most often is killed outright, but it is undeniable that you have to be prepared to finish them off in a considerable percentage of the shots. Geese and Turkeys are the hardest to kill outright, it's just a fact that the brain is a tiny target and the heart etc is well protected by meat.

Quote:
For the right price, I'd take a load to the chest from 20yds

.08 cal is #9 fine shot I see. Seems that it goes up to #11, but I've never seen that for sale. 20 yds is pretty close for #9, shot needs to be spread out more, but I don't know what distance I'd suggest. Also, I wouldn't suggest game loads but instead the kind of loads used for clay pigeons [less powder]. And the eyes, wow, excellent way to wind up blind. Oh, wait, you aren't actually going to do this LOL.

As teenagers a group of us were notorious for shooting at each other. You read that right! It was a lark during dove season, as you'd set up away from each other far enough the shot would barely reach the other guy. If the hunting sucked, to express displeasure of it you might send a spray over. It would be gentle as rain but something about it called on similar-level revenge. Finally one day one guy didn't quite get it and shot too close, stinging a bit I think [I was not the recipient]. That was the last of it as I guess everybody was thinking 'there's always that one guy'.

http://www.hallowellco.com/shot_size_chart.htm
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 18th, 2015 at 8:48:13 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: odiousgambit
Geez, Face, that's quotable material for the anti-gun crowd. Watch how you put it LOL. Not that what you say is wrong. I'd say most of us shoot at a range where the game most often is killed outright, but it is undeniable that you have to be prepared to finish them off in a considerable percentage of the shots.

Lol, just keeping it real. A chipmunk ain't even as big as my hand, so shooting it with a 20g at 10 paces you expect to find a wad of wet fur and not much else. Yet I could count the number of one shot kills on one hand, probably. Gunners know that for anything bigger than a dog, you're using a solid load and shooting it right behind where the foreleg attaches to the body. But when you go small, it seems to me the goal is just to hit it. Pheasant, quail, rabbit... I don't recall any of these being a "hone in on the spot" type shoots. It's more a "just get lead on it" type of shot. I figure you do so because they're fast, so rather than one finely tuned round, you send a cloud of rounds. To make a cloud they must be very small. When they're very small they're not as lethal. Therefore, small isn't lethal, and when you plop that concept into SD...
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
October 18th, 2015 at 10:08:32 AM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
.... I think "Is 10rds enough?"
How many guys do you usually shoot per week?

Quote:
Dunno, but I enjoy the chat =)
: )
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
October 20th, 2015 at 8:15:23 AM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
I ride my bike a lot
I don't own a gun but if I did, I would not bring it with me bike riding

https://www.thedodo.com/military-dog-shot-1410358724.html

Who knows if the guy with the gun felt threatened
or
Hey, he had a gun, might as well use it
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
October 20th, 2015 at 9:13:59 AM permalink
Face
Quote: petroglyph
How many guys do you usually shoot per week?

Mentally? Double digits at least. Triple when it snows =p In reality, none ever.

Like I said, that's just my mentality based on the experiences I have. Because of what I've seen, that thought is always in the back of my mind when I downsize. I'm not a guy that would shoot under any circumstance. For those who read and are aware of my home invasion, I've already shown that. There I was fully justified in dropping someone on the spot, yet I didn't. Legally it was a go, but I held off. Because I know when and if I ever shoot someone, I am shooting to kill them. I have many ways to make them leave or otherwise defuse the situation. If none of those work, I don't expect the gun to fill that role. The gun is to make them die, period. And since that is such a huge responsibility, SD shooting is something I spend a respectable amount of time thinking about.

Quote: terapined
I ride my bike a lot
I don't own a gun but if I did, I would not bring it with me bike riding

https://www.thedodo.com/military-dog-shot-1410358724.html

Who knows if the guy with the gun felt threatened
or
Hey, he had a gun, might as well use it

I think we need a psyche history and eval for all people who participate in these threads, just to get an understanding of each other. This thought is so beyond my understanding it makes me drool with curiosity.

All I can ask is "why"? A lot of the report is unusable. There's no way for a random to know the disposition of a dog, or whether he has rounded off / missing teeth, or how much training it has. I face this nearly every day I work, and all I have to go off is the dog's actions and my knowledge of animal behavior.

I've only ever been "attacked" by an animal twice; a bear back around '04 and a Shepard / Malinois last week. But Ash got attacked and I saw that. Was just a Beagle, but still took a chunk out of her leg. She still has a nasty purple scar, still had to get shots and follow ups. I don't have insurance, so that little nip is a $1,000 bill for me. That's 6% of my yearly income, well beyond what I could afford, not to mention possible loss of work, which makes it even worse. There is no possible way for me to swing that, which means I'd have to make the owner pay, which means court. I ain't got the time or money for that either. Months of physical hardship, months of financial hardship, none of which is my fault, and I'm just supposed to accept that?

Hell to the no. Had I had my gun when that Shepard pounced, it would have been drawn. Had my kid been with me, I would have shot it immediately with every ounce of my being. And that leads me to the psyche eval part. I can only assume you've never been attacked, or been in a fight, or been attacked by a large animal. I have, many times, and I can't imagine the level of masochism one must have to go through that and be like...

If not masochism, then so pacifist even Buddha blushes. Or, you've never had your life threatened before. That's all I can figure, because the idea of floating through life letting luck keep you safe is so beyond foreign to me I have no words.

Just no. I only got one "me" and ain't no one doing anything to it that I don't want them to. Don't want to get shot? Don't make me shoot you. Don't want your dog dead? Mind your furry weapon.
October 20th, 2015 at 9:57:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
on this incidence over at thread 'in the news today' I commented that if it was true that it was a pack of dogs, then you had to give the guy a pass.

this article seems to indicate that it was an exaggeration to say 'pack of dogs'. So, now I'm thinking the guy is just an ass. However, I wasn't there. Circumstances seem odd.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
October 20th, 2015 at 10:26:33 AM permalink
petroglyph
For those who read and are aware of my home invasion,
I wasn't aware of your invasion. That sucks. I have been burgalized among other things and it makes me feel like I was raped, : (

On a much lighter note:

Quote:
I've only ever been "attacked" by an animal twice; a bear back around '04 and a Shepard / Malinois last week.
How long did the Shepard have to lick his ass to get the taste out of his mouth? : )
October 20th, 2015 at 10:54:40 AM permalink
Face
Quote: odiousgambit
on this incidence over at thread 'in the news today' I commented that if it was true that it was a pack of dogs, then you had to give the guy a pass.

this article seems to indicate that it was an exaggeration to say 'pack of dogs'. So, now I'm thinking the guy is just an ass. However, I wasn't there. Circumstances seem odd.

The media is worthless in this case. For the true story, you'd need to be privy to the court reports, which we aren't.

Pack or no pack, dogs can be sketchy. I've had two incidents, one which resulted in the dog at my feet as I scratched its belly after meeting me with teeth and growls. The other left me shaking so bad I couldn't deliver the next 5 stops. Both would be reported as "man shoots dog after attack", along with some story that tugs at the heart strings. Pah.

Without that info, we can't say for sure. But, again, having had that experience, I can totally see how one man and one dog could end in a justifiable shooting. Of course, based on my new friend on Woodford Ave, I can also see how a bit of knowledge can make you a fuzzy new friend. Without the details, we're just rambling. But I'm not ready to convict the guy yet, regardless of the media's portrayal of it as some sort of quadrupedal Patton. The "Never crosses the road" history ain't good. Neither is he recant of "pack" down to just "one dog". But "10'" and "not cited" supports it. The stuff about the military and its teeth and all that jazz is just media spin. Bleh.

Quote: petroglyph
I wasn't aware of your invasion. That sucks. I have been burgalized among other things and it makes me feel like I was raped, : (

It was bad. I should say "It is bad" because it's still not over. That's why I made the comment about psyche evals and history. I can't imagine someone going through something like that or the physical beatings I've taken and still be like "I won't carry" or "I'm not scared". I mean, I actively seek out things that risk my life, I ain't no punk. But while flipping a car 90mph through the woods was "scary", it don't hold a candle to an attack. I don't have lingering fears of Saturn SL2's or wooded groves or country roads. I never have nightmares about broken glass or airbags. A month later all I'm left with are a few pink scars on my hands and face to remind me to not be stupid. That invasion was 20 months ago and I still start at the creaks in my house or when the wind blows a door shut. It's total apples and oranges.
October 20th, 2015 at 12:11:23 PM permalink
petroglyph
I dint know.

I have twice now stopped a situation from going extremely violent because I was packing, and I didn't even have to point it at the perp. There was no doubt in either of our minds of the outcome should they continue.

I'm a revolver guy. Been packin a snub nose .38 since '80. Lost my first one, along with the house. Got a new one, which is only a 2" barrel, I really liked the 1" better.

I like the fact, that I never ever have to think whether or not the safety is on or if I have one in the pipe. At home, firearms are distributed around the house and they are all loaded, behind doors, in cuboards, whatever I think I can get to quickly in time of need.

In the house, the first two are .38 birdshot, I think they are #9, but there is a bunch of them in the head of the bullets and at around 12 feet they produce about an 18 inch pattern. They won't kill anyone, but I wake up groggy and I don't want to miss, is my thinking. Also, the bb's will not go through the sheetrock and over to my neighbors house and kill him. I think a crackhead would have to be pretty determined to keep marching though a hail of birdshot. The rounds come out of the barrel pretty close together and, well..the next four are solid.

The short barrel makes so much noise, it is hard to imagine an ordinary criminal to keep coming? The 8 round pump 12 mossberg is right around the corner, still loaded for bear. If they want it worse than that, they are going to get me. However, it wouldn't be my first time, I have had my ass kicked pretty good.

Bring that dog home, and teach him to sleep with one eye open..so you can close both of yours.
October 20th, 2015 at 12:28:17 PM permalink
petroglyph
I have been thinking about putting this up for awhile.

People talk about gun safes, or keeping locks on triggers or what not. This is how I think.

One of my mentors told me, "if you got time to load it, you don't need it". I have live my life with that premise.

In Alaska, raising my kids, I taught them that guns "are never unloaded", even if they are. And I don't know if it's a fact or not, but I repeated it to them many times, "there are more people shot with empty guns, than loaded ones". Of course my meaning is obvious, and at least somewhat worth considering.

I always had a gun rack on the wall, loaded for bear, literally. Loaded, but not chambered. Twelve gauge, .338 and more. My kids since they were little, had friends over, ate their dinner, did homework, with guns hanging on the wall, and there was never a question in anyones mind, that if they were to take one of those firearms and point it at somebody, and pull the trigger, that most likely someone would die.

It never happened. No one to this day, f***ed around and pointed it at anyone. My daughters and son are all gun savvy, no threats, no games. Guns are tools, respect an maintain your tools and you can expect them to work.

I hate 9's. Bunch of damn knee cappers. A .22 will stop most perps. Hard to know for sure what will stop some bears. Use at your own discretion.