Confessional

Page 1 of 421234>Last »
November 1st, 2012 at 11:42:04 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
One things I like about Catholicism is the emphasis on confession. I wish I had some outlet to spill my guts, endure some punishment, and leave feeling forgiven for whatever I did.

Of course, I'm not Catholic, but I invite anybody who wishes to post something they regret doing. If for no other reason, I think just expressing it has some therapeutic value. Perhaps even our own FrG can pass out penances.

Here is mine, to get things going.

I've become somewhat known in my neighborhood as that guy who gives out extra candy on Halloween if you can answer trivia questions. So yesterday a huge group from Bishop Gormon High School, which is a local private Catholic school showed up, ready for some trivia. They must have stayed at least 10 minutes.

Given that they are in a Catholic school, a frequently requested trivia topic was the bible. So, I did lots of questions on that. Stuff like name four gospels, or what two people walked on water. However, somebody said "Ask a question about Mormonism for (insert female name here)." I replied, "I don't know much about it, but let try to think of one." From doing research in my family tree, I know a lot of Mormons hailed from Nauvoo, Illinois, before they got chased out and moved to Salt Lake City. So my question was "Before Salt Lake City, where was the Mormon headquarters (for lack of a better term)?"

She offered a few incorrect guesses, to which I responded "You're a terrible Mormon!" So, now I feel badly about that. I'm afraid that was going too far and she may feel personally insulted. Since I have no idea of her name or how to find her, other than her high school, I have no way to personally apologize, except she might show up for Halloween next year. By the way, she eventually got it right, and I gave her some extra candy.

So, that is my story. I feel guilty of a personal insult.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 1st, 2012 at 11:48:02 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
You're a terrible Wizard! :P
This space for rent
November 1st, 2012 at 3:37:24 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
When someone who is religious claims to have been insulted, I always think to myself - "How can an insult be real if the thing they are insulted over is not real?"
November 1st, 2012 at 5:12:24 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
There were several Mormon "headquarters" before The Great Salt Lake. Some of her responses may have been entirely reasonable ones.

Why didn't you ask questions about The Mountain Meadows Massacre or the Mormon Wars or why Mormons were often called The Blues. These would have been challenging questions for a trivia contest.

And remember,,, if any of them respond that it was a woman who cut Sampson's hair... don't give them the candy!!
November 1st, 2012 at 6:43:24 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
You're a good guy there Wizard. Here is a simple pennace for you: In the next couple of days tell someone they are excellent at something. God Bless!

Now for aceofspades' pennace I'll have to start a new thread, just kidding.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 1st, 2012 at 6:51:41 PM permalink
aceofspades
Threads: 83
Quote: FrGamble
You're a good guy there Wizard. Here is a simple pennace for you: In the next couple of days tell someone they are excellent at something. God Bless!

Now for aceofspades' pennace I'll have to start a new thread, just kidding.

Thanks father!
November 1st, 2012 at 10:06:50 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: Wizard

She offered a few incorrect guesses, to which I responded "You're a terrible Mormon!" So, now I feel badly about that.

What was her reaction? Did she
blush and look embarrassed?

Is she a former Mormon who's now Catholic?
If so, yes, you said the wrong thing to a kid.
You should hang around her high school for
weeks until you find her. Explain it to the
police when they question you.

If she's not a former Mormon, don't worry
about it.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 1st, 2012 at 10:12:44 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: Wizard

Of course, I'm not Catholic, but I invite anybody who wishes to post something they regret doing. If for no other reason, I think just expressing it has some therapeutic value. Perhaps even our own FrG can pass out penances.

Alright, what the heck. Way back in my pest control days I had to do sales to get my promotion. I had a high quota because the guy there when I was hired said, "sure, that is easy!" to the number. Later when he was fired the new one said he would have mitigated the number a bit. Either way, I had a number to hit and that was that. And we were really, really scolded if we did not make a proposal to each and every call.

So sometimes, but two that I remember, I made a proposal when there was no real issue and they bought. Now, I did not rip them off in the traditional sense, they received a service that they paid for. But I really, reallyh would have liked the ability to have said, "Ma'mm (both ladies) I can't find anythingwrong here, have a nice day." IIRC I kind of did say that, but they were so trusting that they still bought! Not sure if selling something to someone that wants to buy it even with no need is a sin or makes me a bad person per se, but I always felt I would have just walked had I been in business for myself.

FWIW, over time I did get yelled at for not being more aggressive in selling "preventative work." Just a bit too honest I suppose?
The President is a fink.
November 1st, 2012 at 10:34:02 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Really? Confessions?

When I had the bar in Santa Barbara, we had street
people come in and out all of the time. One of them
was a black guy in his late 20's who was really smart
and funny. One day I told him he was smarter than
the jerks he was hanging around with and he should
try and seek better company. I could tell he was really
moved by what I said.

He left SB and about six months later he called the
bar asking if so and so was there, he was calling from
back east. I was in a really really bad mood for a reason
I can't remember. I asked who was calling and he said his
name and 'you remember me, right?' Of course, I rememberd
him well. But I said 'hell no, I don't remember you' and
he was devastated. He was embarrassed and hurt and
hung up.

I've felt terrible about that ever since. My contribution to
race relations.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 1st, 2012 at 11:05:37 PM permalink
Fleastiff
Threads: 62
Its no good having a confessional thread... you will either get trivial little stuff or nothing.

Those who have done really bad things and post them... won't be believed.
Page 1 of 421234>Last »