Threads: 135
Quote: Evenbob
It's changed drastically in the last 50
years, thanks to TV and movies. Men
are generally portrayed as morons
in sitcoms and movie comedies. So
when now think men are idiots and
treat them that way.

It is that and more. Part of it is men do not learn manly skills anymore.

Today men don't learn this as kids, "shop" is disappearing from high schools. Too many guys today can't look at something with moving parts and figure out how it works. IKEA is major construction. It may seem small, but there is a satisfaction you get as a guy when you make something from parts made for other things. When that is not there, self-esteem drops.

I think, though, that most women like when men do the manly things. I still remember like three women thanked me apart from each other when I put a 5 gallon polar water bottle on the cooler. I was like, "no big deal, I was thirsty" but I couldn't believe it. It was a department I was "on loan" to so maybe it was because I was new. But THREE of them? Were the guys on the floor, and there were enough, so whipped that they didn't even do this?
The President is a fink.
July 15th, 2014 at 5:00:51 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Women love it when you lift heavy things
or do home repairs or put gas in their car.
But they think we're incapable of doing
anything that involves thinking. I asked
the girl cutting my hair last week if her
husband she thought her husband was
an idiot. She thought a second and said
"not all the time". Perfect.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
July 15th, 2014 at 5:01:43 PM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
Quote: DJTeddyBear
But I gotta believe that drawing wasn't from the publisher.

The publisher was working on his nature book about trees.

July 15th, 2014 at 5:21:36 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
Quote: AZDuffman
It is that and more. Part of it is men do not learn manly skills anymore.

Today men don't learn this as kids, "shop" is disappearing from high schools. Too many guys today can't look at something with moving parts and figure out how it works. IKEA is major construction. It may seem small, but there is a satisfaction you get as a guy when you make something from parts made for other things. When that is not there, self-esteem drops.

I think, though, that most women like when men do the manly things. I still remember like three women thanked me apart from each other when I put a 5 gallon polar water bottle on the cooler. I was like, "no big deal, I was thirsty" but I couldn't believe it. It was a department I was "on loan" to so maybe it was because I was new. But THREE of them? Were the guys on the floor, and there were enough, so whipped that they didn't even do this?

Manly doesn't necessary mean that they are able to fix a car, do their oil changes, or construct a patio. They're equally as satisfied when they get three quotations from patio designers and get it built professionally while you take your wife on vacation during the construction period. They're equally satisfied when you call AAA and sit in the local coffee shop until the repair person comes. They would prefer the manliness of bringing home the bacon and being respected by your co-workers.

"Manly" to me means being in command when it is needed, running the show when it needs to be run, and treating your woman with chivalry, love and respect.

I didn't learn how to fix my own car, how to construct a house, but my self esteem is fine. I am actually manly, despite my liberal views.
July 15th, 2014 at 5:38:12 PM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: boymimbo
Manly doesn't necessary mean that they are able to fix a car, do their oil changes, or construct a patio. They're equally as satisfied when they get three quotations from patio designers and get it built professionally while you take your wife on vacation during the construction period. They're equally satisfied when you call AAA and sit in the local coffee shop until the repair person comes. They would prefer the manliness of bringing home the bacon and being respected by your co-workers.

"Manly" to me means being in command when it is needed, running the show when it needs to be run, and treating your woman with chivalry, love and respect.

It might not mean those three per se, but men need to be able to figure things out when needed. I have learned that women generally hate to read instructions and work with "things." They will try to figure out people all day long, even animals. But inanimate objects they just do not like. This is why men jumped out so far ahead when PCs first came out in the 1980s. The men wanted to play with the thing, women just wanted it to work.

Here is a "man test" I saw back in the 1990s:

You are on a mountain and meet the wisest man in the world. He gives you a suitcase-sized machine that he says can solve most of mankind's problems. It is very complex with many moving and machined parts. Do you:

A. Keep it in your house for emergencies
B. Give it to the President of the USA
C. Give it to the Secretary of the United Nations
D. Take it apart

Quote:
I didn't learn how to fix my own car, how to construct a house, but my self esteem is fine. I am actually manly, despite my liberal views.

Manly and liberal is indeed a rare combination. Almost like mixing acids and bases.
The President is a fink.
July 15th, 2014 at 7:35:19 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Evenbob
Women love it when you lift heavy things
or do home repairs or put gas in their car.

At least some women appreciate that. I can remember when "A woman needs a man like a fish needs a bicycle" was the order of the day.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
July 15th, 2014 at 8:56:16 PM permalink
24Bingo
Threads: 0
Incidentally, regarding the comments on comic books in general in the OP, my comic-reading phase was mainly the X titles, so... yyyeah. (Although really? Of course Archie isn't gay...)
July 16th, 2014 at 2:14:17 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Quote: 24Bingo
Incidentally, regarding the comments on comic books in general in the OP, my comic-reading phase was mainly the X titles, so... yyyeah. (Although really? Of course Archie isn't gay...)

I'm actually glad somebody stepped up and said so. I wasn't going to look into it.

I was first tipped off that gays have new roles and influence in the comic book world by this X-men thing, when one night, bored, I watched an X-men movie. I was shocked.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 16th, 2014 at 3:47:44 AM permalink
chickenman
Threads: 0
Quote: Face
I wonder what the next distraction will be, tearing us away from the stuff that matters. Any wagers?

First, betting the never-ending gay bit will stay in our faces for a while yet.

Next up: pot. (disclaimer: makes my eyes red just thinking about it)

Already there's a guy who loses his job for LEGALLY purchasing weed. Seems to me while companies rightfully can't have staff high on alcohol or dope on the job, the employee should be able to partake of legal substances on his own time. Common sense is not that common.

Then of course there are now illegal sales of a legal substance in CO and WA. Surprise!

Predict, as with gay marriage, numerous states (mostly the same ones with gay marriage) will fall all over themselves to get weed legal. How can they not when they are burning the midnight oil looking to fleece more tax revenue and pot tax is a no-brainer? The media will provide blow-by-blow (pun intended) coverage.
He's everywhere, he's everywhere...!
July 16th, 2014 at 5:02:07 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Quote: chickenman

Predict, as with gay marriage, numerous states (mostly the same ones with gay marriage) will fall all over themselves to get weed legal. How can they not when they are burning the midnight oil looking to fleece more tax revenue and pot tax is a no-brainer? The media will provide blow-by-blow (pun intended) coverage.

I am wondering if the tax revenue thing will be as big as they think it will be. Sure, pot-shops will be above the radar. But if they say pot is "legal" and I can get say $10-30 a gram for the stuff I am growing in my backyard, am I going to send the state a check if I sell it to a few friends? Not likely. Would I plant a few plants in said backyard to supplement my income? Probably, depending on how "legal" they make it.

There would still be an underground market IMHO. It isn't like alcohol where you need a higher level of skill and equipment to produce an acceptable product. And it isn't like cigarettes where the product is so standardized that a local boy can't really break in.
The President is a fink.
Page 3 of 4<1234>