Trans Catalina Trail

Page 2 of 2<12
August 1st, 2014 at 12:41:18 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Quote: Wizard
Where were you when I needed you? Before posing for this photo with a wild buffalo.

As another aside, and I say this as the resident dare devil...

You Are Effing Insane.

You were a random thought in an animal head from a long hospital stay.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 1st, 2014 at 2:14:01 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Face
"Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is an actual proper, logical sentence. Oh, English. You so crazy =)

Where is the verb?
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 1st, 2014 at 2:16:30 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator

That thought would have probably been, "This fool is trying to take my hay."

Seriously, I'm thinking of taking down that picture.
August 1st, 2014 at 2:42:18 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Where is the verb?

One of the buffalo's.... buffalo can mean to 'deceive or trick'. In slang at least.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
August 1st, 2014 at 3:22:55 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146

The plains Indians knew how dangerous the
Bison were and had ultimate respect for them.
They are kind of like cows, except cows are
not insane.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 1st, 2014 at 3:42:45 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Quote: TheCesspit
One of the buffalo's.... buffalo can mean to 'deceive or trick'. In slang at least.

My slang vocabulary is pathetic, at best. I would have used a slang term for "pathetic," but couldn't think of any.

Regarding the buffalo picture, I replaced it with this one in my blog.

However, you may consider to give me a hard time about the old one here.

To change the topic a bit, what is the evolutionary reason for having so much fur by the head, and not the tail?
August 1st, 2014 at 8:12:04 PM permalink
Face
Threads: 61

However, you may consider to give me a hard time about the old one here.

Why? More interestingly, why are you concerned?

I just needed to point out that percentage wise, it was probably higher that you get butted to the sky in that pic. You pretty much bet the farm on Player and won. Congrats. If ignorance was the cause, well, it's just us that know the truth. Tell everyone else you ain't scared of no stupid cow, and if it had charged you, you would have punch it dead on the spot ;)

To change the topic a bit, what is the evolutionary reason for having so much fur by the head, and not the tail?

Well first, it's summer. Bison molt just like everything else. Find em in January in Yellowstone, and they'll be much shaggier, as well as more covered. But you're right, the ass is mostly bare even then.

My guess, there's nothing there. There's hair around the head and shoulders to protect in combat, and all the vitals, the "furnace", is covered up. Ain't nothing to protect back there, and the furnace keeps those bitty legs warmed right up. Additionally, perhaps, it aids in escape. Their biggest predator (biggest as in most prevalent, not as in largest) are wolves. Wolves kill these by catching from behind and piling on. With a bare ass, they've got to sink teeth into flesh, flesh what is basically living leather. With a shaggy ass, all they'd need is a mouthful of that hair. I'd argue a hairy bison would be an easier kill than a bald one.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
August 1st, 2014 at 9:57:47 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Tell everyone else you ain't scared of no stupid cow, and if it had charged you, you would have punch it dead on the spot ;)

I would have poked it in the eye with my hiking stick.

Quote:
My guess, there's nothing there. There's hair around the head and shoulders to protect in combat, and all the vitals, the "furnace", is covered up. Ain't nothing to protect back there, and the furnace keeps those bitty legs warmed right up. Additionally, perhaps, it aids in escape. Their biggest predator (biggest as in most prevalent, not as in largest) are wolves. Wolves kill these by catching from behind and piling on. With a bare ass, they've got to sink teeth into flesh, flesh what is basically living leather. With a shaggy ass, all they'd need is a mouthful of that hair. I'd argue a hairy bison would be an easier kill than a bald one.

You the man. We city folk never consider things like this.
August 2nd, 2014 at 3:56:37 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 154
Fun side note: "Buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo buffalo buffalo Buffalo buffalo" is an actual proper, logical sentence. Oh, English. You so crazy =)

I can get as far as "Buffalo Buffalo buffalo" ... capitalization differs from yours ...

" [I, you is understood] Buffalo [as in hoodwink] Buffalo [read: city of Buffalo, adjective] buffalo [as in bison]

I can't get further than that

_

one more time, hard to get tired of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=PNvTHOrTf_Y#t=44
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
Page 2 of 2<12