presidential vacations

Page 1 of 212>
August 13th, 2014 at 7:23:26 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
As of August 12, 2014, Obama has taken 20 "vacations" lasting 2 to 15 days. He has spent all or part of 129 days on “vacation.”
At this point in George W. Bush’s presidency, he had taken 58 trips to his Prairie Chapel ranch near Crawford, Texas, for all or part of 381 days.
Bush had also spent all or part of 26 days at his family’s oceanside compound in Kennebunkport, Maine, over the course of seven trips there.

And the president has made 33 visits to the official Camp David presidential retreat in Maryland, totaling all or part of 84 days.
And the former Texas governor had been to Camp David 108 times for a total of all or part of 341 days.

Obama’s morning round of golf on Tuesday brought his total since January 2009 to 186, with 22 of them on Martha’s Vineyard.
Bush played 24 rounds of golf as president.

So we have lots of trips to a ranch and Camp David, vs many fewer trips to expensive destinations. Not just expensive as rentals, but to outfit them with the necessary security.

Does it matter?
August 13th, 2014 at 7:52:52 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
Quote: Pacomartin
So we have lots of trips to a ranch and Camp David, vs many fewer trips to expensive destinations. Not just expensive as rentals, but to outfit them with the necessary security.

Does it matter?

In the big picture of the federal budget, I'm sure its a tiny share. However, I wonder what the difference in expense to the taxpayers is for a presidential vacation to Camp David vs. Hawaii.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
August 13th, 2014 at 9:03:49 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Wizard
In the big picture of the federal budget, I'm sure its a tiny share. However, I wonder what the difference in expense to the taxpayers is for a presidential vacation to Camp David vs. Hawaii.

Also, what about the First Ladies and kids? African safari, Grand Tour of Europe, visit to China..., movie premiere/sleepover in the White House, I'm pretty sure some of my tax money funded these activities.
August 13th, 2014 at 11:54:24 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Wizard
However, I wonder what the difference in expense to the taxpayers is for a presidential vacation to Camp David vs. Hawaii.

I am sure there are mostly fixed costs associated with Camp David. With Obama making 33 visits/84 days and Bush making 108 visits/341 days there is very little difference in costs.

I don't think President Clinton ever owned a personal house until 1999 when he spent $1.7 million to purchase the 11-room, five-bedroom, 100-year-old Dutch colonial at 15 Old House Lane, Chappaqua.

President George W. Bush took all or part of 297 days at his Texas ranch. Bill Clinton took 174 days at Martha's Vineyard and Jackson Hole, Wyoming, and Ronald Reagan vacationed 349 days at his California ranch over eight years.

I think it doesn't matter. People will get upset no matter what.
August 13th, 2014 at 12:38:01 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 189
When you add vacations for all the Presidents, you probably should credit them for at least being available 52 weekends a year. And likely all the night time hours as well.

I guess it's possible, some have said, "No matter what, don't call me in the next hour!"
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
August 13th, 2014 at 12:39:10 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
As of August 12, 2014, Obama has taken 20 "vacations" lasting 2 to 15 days. He has spent all or part of 129 days on “vacation.”
At this point in George W. Bush’s presidency, he had taken 58 trips to his Prairie Chapel ranch near Crawford, Texas, for all or part of 381 days.

How much does it cost to stay at your own house?

"Presidents don't get vacations — they just get a change of scenery. You're still president … The job goes with you.
The amazing thing about this job … is that the job seems to follow you around"
Ronald Reagan
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
August 13th, 2014 at 2:01:04 PM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
Rather than vacations, I think presidents simply go to a reduced workload elsewhere.

The president's family is a different matter.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
August 14th, 2014 at 6:39:22 AM permalink
Nareed
How often does the president of Mexico go on vacation?

I haven't the slightest idea.
August 14th, 2014 at 11:50:58 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Quote: Nareed
I haven't the slightest idea.

Once the president of Mexico gets a widebody jet with a shower, a board room, and the ability to carry over 200 people, he will be flying all the time.

President Reagan in eight years made 7 trips to continental Europe, 3 to Asia and 1 to South America during his 8 years as president. Once Clinton had the new Boeing 747's he was in Europe 21 times, Asia 17 times, Africa twice in the same eight years.
August 14th, 2014 at 12:28:44 PM permalink
Nareed
Once the president of Mexico gets a widebody jet with a shower, a board room, and the ability to carry over 200 people, he will be flying all the time.

President Reagan in eight years made 7 trips to continental Europe, 3 to Asia and 1 to South America during his 8 years as president. Once Clinton had the new Boeing 747's he was in Europe 21 times, Asia 17 times, Africa twice in the same eight years.

I suppose the plane helps, but I don't think it's the determinant factor. Politics and even preferences and character have much to do with it.

Just as an example, the emperor Antoninus Pius hardly ever left Rome during his reign. His predecessor, Hadrian, travelled all over the empire and was hardly seen in Rome for years at a time.

Tellingly, Antoninus was rather old when he ascended the throne. Hadrian was much younger. See a parallel?

Also, as I recall, H. W. Bush had the 747 first. How much did he travel?
Page 1 of 212>