Aug 11 police shooting of unarmed young male.

Page 4 of 5<12345>
August 29th, 2014 at 3:51:05 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 73
Quote: RonC

Doesn't it say something that Stewart is ONLY popular because he goes after Fox News? They do get stories wrong (like everyone else) and their evening commentators are conservatives...but his whole shtick is going after the most popular cable news network. It is good to have a watchdog but he never points out when they get it right; so he isn't really a true "watchdog"...he just draws in all the haters of Fox.

"Only popular because he goes after Fox"?
Hardly.
He's popular because he makes people laugh.
He goes after CNN also, its hilarious.
watchdog???? huh, Hes on TV to entertain.

I can understand if you don't laugh with him, the humor may be over your head.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 29th, 2014 at 4:38:22 PM permalink
Beethoven
Threads: 18
Quote: terapined
Yep, if he stopped talking about Fox News, his ratings would plummet. The man has no other material.

LOL...his brain-dead audience would laugh at anything.

He goes after CNN also
Yeah, he'll go after CNN.....maybe 0.01% of the time?! *facepalm*

Huh? RonC is one of the best posters on WoV/DT. You honestly think that something a mediocre comedian says is over his head?? *facepalm #2*
Boron Boron Boron rhymes with moron, moron, moron
August 29th, 2014 at 5:28:26 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
The way I look at Jon Stewart he is actually making fun at the companies owning him but they don't get it's about them.
August 29th, 2014 at 8:49:44 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
Hardly.
He goes after CNN also, its hilarious.
watchdog???? huh, Hes on TV to entertain.

I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but you managed to sneak a bit of an insult in there. Not enjoying a type of humor does not mean it is over one's head. Anyway...

Go Terps!!!
August 30th, 2014 at 5:04:32 AM permalink
terapined
I don't mind you disagreeing with me, but you managed to sneak a bit of an insult in there. Not enjoying a type of humor does not mean it is over one's head. Anyway...

Go Terps!!!

You are right, sorry, it was a snarky comment.
Thanks for the go Terps, we are gonna need it. No longer ACC. Still cant get my head around that.
its all Big 10 opponents now. I think its ridiculous.
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
August 30th, 2014 at 5:25:40 AM permalink
RonC
In the interest of being fair about the whole "over your head" thing, I decided to watch Jon Stewart's piece on Rick Perry's indictment;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/08/29/jon-stewart-dubs-rick-perry-the-indict-cowboy-video/

I actually thought the piece was fair as far as an analysis of the situation goes. (Note: I don't expect Stewart to BE a watchdog of the news; I just think that there need to be watchdogs). The problem is that I just didn't find it funny at all. I'm guessing since there was not one side or person to really blast in the whole thing, he had trouble with putting together enough comedy. It was more like a regular report than comedy.

The laughs? They seem forced, which is usually the result of someone telling the audience to laugh hard and make a lot of noise.

Over my head? Not in any way. I just don't like his brand of comedy. I watch Lewis Black sometimes; he can be pretty funny even when attacking conservatives. The problem is that I only can take so much nastiness against one side when I know there are plenty of idiots on both sides.

Take the House of Representatives--we've got a former speaker who can talk without anything other than her lips moving. Wait...the other parts can't move... Then we've got a well-tanned crybaby smoker as the speaker on the other side. It would be funny if it wasn't happening where people are supposed to work on our behalf...
August 30th, 2014 at 5:28:34 AM permalink
RonC
You are right, sorry, it was a snarky comment.
Thanks for the go Terps, we are gonna need it. No longer ACC. Still cant get my head around that.
its all Big 10 opponents now. I think its ridiculous.

Maryland was a stepchild in the ACC. It is a Carolina-centric league and they were well on the way out when the ACC added other teams that might someday make it less centered on the Carolinas. There are millions and millions of reasons ($$$) going to the Big Ten is a good move--it is a solid academic grouping in addition to being a very good sports league. It may be rough for a couple of years, but they will do as good there as they do in the ACC, football-wise. That may not be saying much...
August 30th, 2014 at 6:01:53 AM permalink
terapined
Maryland was a stepchild in the ACC. It is a Carolina-centric league and they were well on the way out when the ACC added other teams that might someday make it less centered on the Carolinas. There are millions and millions of reasons ($$$) going to the Big Ten is a good move--it is a solid academic grouping in addition to being a very good sports league. It may be rough for a couple of years, but they will do as good there as they do in the ACC, football-wise. That may not be saying much...

We were a stepchild in the ACC. It definitely was the Carolina league. Yea the Big 10 schools are solid academically and more money.
But
Its supposed to be about the student athletes and getting an education.
College conferences should all be regional so little travel for all student athletes.
Majority of student athletes are not in revenue producing sports. The majority are students 1st that happen to take part in non revenue sports.
I just think its ridiculous to make say the Women's lacrosse travel 1/2 way across the country to play a game instead of a nearby school.
They are in school to get an education, not help the football team earn millions.
August 30th, 2014 at 6:21:01 AM permalink
RonC
Its supposed to be about the student athletes and getting an education.
College conferences should all be regional so little travel for all student athletes.
Majority of student athletes are not in revenue producing sports. The majority are students 1st that happen to take part in non revenue sports.
I just think its ridiculous to make say the Women's lacrosse travel 1/2 way across the country to play a game instead of a nearby school.
They are in school to get an education, not help the football team earn millions.

University of Miami is 1072 miles from College Park
University of Nebraska is 1330 miles from College Park

I get that there will be more distance traveled, but the difference is not too bad if they are traveling by plane. If they are driving, it is a bit more of a problem. "Non-revenue" sports that offer scholarships to athletes are opportunities to play a sport and get college paid for. They are A JOB--there is no other way to put it. They have to work at them from the day they arrive on campus until the final whistle of their college career.

Our daughter learned that when she worked for a college women's basketball team. There were a lot of perks that she sometimes shared in even as a non-athlete (like a big screen TV from the Big Twelve Conference for their tournament) and a lot of travel. She was paid for her part; the basketball players were paid by having scholarships. We're way past "student-athletes" once we add scholarships and gifts.

I know everyone doesn't get full or scholarships; they can weigh out the options for themselves and go somewhere that travels less if that is what they need. If they want to play in the Big Ten, then they will have to travel a bit.
August 30th, 2014 at 5:04:04 PM permalink
boymimbo
Threads: 5
In the interest of being fair about the whole "over your head" thing, I decided to watch Jon Stewart's piece on Rick Perry's indictment;

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-fix/wp/2014/08/29/jon-stewart-dubs-rick-perry-the-indict-cowboy-video/

I actually thought the piece was fair as far as an analysis of the situation goes. (Note: I don't expect Stewart to BE a watchdog of the news; I just think that there need to be watchdogs). The problem is that I just didn't find it funny at all. I'm guessing since there was not one side or person to really blast in the whole thing, he had trouble with putting together enough comedy. It was more like a regular report than comedy.

The laughs? They seem forced, which is usually the result of someone telling the audience to laugh hard and make a lot of noise.

Forced? Na. But like on all talk shows, they warm up the audience well before-hand and ask you to laugh loud and to have fun. Letterman, Conan, Stewart, and SNL are all the same.

Jon Stewart makes alot of fun of CNN as well and almost never touches MSNBC because nobody watches them anyway.
Page 4 of 5<12345>