Ghostbusters 3 — All-female cast?

Page 2 of 3<123>
September 10th, 2014 at 8:13:14 PM permalink
1nickelmiracle
Threads: 24
Ok. Sure I loved it back in the day and almost forgot it existed.
March 3rd, 2016 at 5:23:33 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
It's official, they ruined the franchise. This
looks terrible. Especially the addition of
a token uneducated black woman to 'round
out' the cast.

This is just awful:

If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 4th, 2016 at 4:24:53 AM permalink
Pacomartin
Threads: 1068
I wonder how they divided up the cast salary. $1m, $1m, $100k, $100k, $1m, $1m, $100k, $100k, ....
Melissa McCarthy
Kristen Wiig

Leslie Jones

Kate McKinnon
March 4th, 2016 at 9:45:58 AM permalink
Ayecarumba
Threads: 89
Quote: Evenbob
It's official, they ruined the franchise. This
looks terrible. Especially the addition of
a token uneducated black woman to 'round
out' the cast.

This is just awful:

The "token" black character was also in the original movie. According to this article, Ernie Hudson's character, "Winston Zeddemore" was supposed to be an equal member of the team from the beginning of the movie, but the bulk of his part was cut from the script the night before shooting started.

March 4th, 2016 at 10:38:51 AM permalink
Nareed
Threads: 346
I saw the trailer yesterday. It's ok, but not catchy. The effects look naturally a lot better, and a lot more, than in the old movie. I'll probably break my rule of not going to the movies and see this one. I liked the first movie, the animated series (both of them) and finally doing a second movie strikes me as a great idea.
Donald Trump is a one-term LOSER
March 4th, 2016 at 11:23:45 AM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Ayecarumba

The "token" black character was also in the original movie.

In the 80's that was a OK, today it's
not. Lots of complaints that the 3
white women are scientists, and
the lone black woman is a janitor,
or something. It's a stereotype
character that you'd expect to see
in the 70's and 80's, not today.

I don't even remember the guy
from the orig movie, that's how
important he was.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
March 6th, 2016 at 7:38:21 AM permalink
Pacomartin
I don't even remember the guy from the orig movie, that's how important he was.

Quote: Ernie-Hudson
In Hollywood in those days, you set your quote—so if anybody calls about wanting to work with you, they had to meet your quote. I had just worked with Columbia on Spacehunter, and my quote was pretty decent. For Ghostbusters, they came in at only half of my quote, because they said this role was going to make my career.

The night before filming begins, however, I get this new script and it was shocking. The character was gone. Instead of coming in at the very beginning of the movie, like page 8, the character came in on page 68 after the Ghostbusters were established. His elaborate background was all gone, replaced by me walking in and saying, “If there’s a steady paycheck in it, I’ll believe anything you say.” So that was pretty devastating.

I’m panicked. I don’t sleep that night. It was like my worst nightmare is happening. The next morning, I rush to the set and plead my case. And Ivan basically says, “The studio felt that they had Bill Murray, so they wanted to give him more stuff to do.”
March 6th, 2016 at 11:21:23 AM permalink
Evenbob
Hudson has never not had a job since
1976. He works constantly. Just this
year alone he has 9 credits on IMDB.
He certainly can't complain about
racism in Hwood as far as he's
concerned.
March 6th, 2016 at 12:33:15 PM permalink
Pacomartin
He certainly can't complain about racism in Hwood as far as he's concerned.

Is this comment complaining?

Quote: Ernie
But it’s always been very frustrating—kind of a love/hate thing, I guess.

I credit Ghostbusters, actually, for lessons I learned—how you deal with stuff when it doesn’t work out the way you want and you still got to keep doing it, how you keep a career going when it doesn’t turn to be all these things you dreamed of doing. I’ve been blessed, and I don’t want to make it a negative. I’ve survived this 30 years because of what I learned on Ghostbusters; you learn to adjust. What I did was I turned to TV. I literally did a different television show almost every week, going from show to show. I was a single dad and I had to survive.

The sad part is the thing that I thought that Ghostbusters would do, which is really kickstart my career into high gear, it never really materialized.

I’ve never been told that I’ve gotten a job because of Ghostbusters; I think there have been a few jobs that I’ve lost [because of it]. Since [the movie], I’ve been given and taken advantage of the opportunity to perform a myriad of challenging roles, so what am I complaining about?

Now 30 years later, seeing little kids with their Ghostbusters backpacks, seeing whole families dress up—the movie has a special place, and I’m very humbled and touched by it. I certainly am thankful to have been a part of it. I love being an actor. I still enjoy the process. I’m still hoping that I’m going to get that one great role that I thought I had in the original Ghostbusters. 30 years later, I’m still looking.

Bottom line, Bill Murray had been in four successful feature films and one average one. Ernie Hudson had been in three feature films with one that was probably profitable (Spacehunter). Sounds about par for movie acting jobs. They savage one role to give screen time to the more successful actor.

Bill Murray
1984 Ghostbusters Dr. Peter Venkman
12/17/82 Tootsie $177,200,000 Yearly 1982 2
6/26/81 Stripes $85,297,000 Yearly 1981 5
7/25/80 Caddyshack $39,846,344 Yearly 1980 17
4/25/80 Where the Buffalo Roam $6,659,377 Yearly 1980: 76
6/29/79 Meatballs $43,046,003 Yearly 1979: unk

Ernie Hudson
1984 Ghostbusters: Winston Zeddmore
1983 Spacehunter| Adventures in the Forbidden Zone Washington $16,478,265 Yearly 1983: 44
1976 The Human Tornado
1976 Leadbelly
March 6th, 2016 at 1:00:35 PM permalink
Evenbob
Quote: Pacomartin
Is this comment complaining?

He dang well shouldn't be. He's living
the dream of actors, steady work. I once
heard James Garner say that he envied
character actors because they were always
working, always bringing home a paycheck
52 weeks a year. Hudson never made it
'big' because he's not talented enough.
But he's living a life that 95% of the actors
in Hwood would kill for, steady work.

One of my favorite was Whit Bissell. In the
50's-70's you almost couldn't turn on a TV
without seeing this guy. And he was in
over 200 movies. He played everything and
everybody. You've seen him a hundred
times and don't even know it.

Page 2 of 3<123>