Wizards 50th Birthday

Page 3 of 55<123456>Last »

Thread Rating:

Poll
12 votes (54.54%)
5 votes (22.72%)
2 votes (9.09%)
3 votes (13.63%)

22 members have voted

October 15th, 2014 at 11:13:57 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 3174
Quote: Ayecarumba
Terms?


I see the voting is 3-3 so I'm offering even money. The terms are that I will have up to eight hours to ride a unicycle 50 miles. I will have up to eight hours to do so, from start to finish. The challenge must be completed by 11:59 PM May 23, 2015. The challenge may be any day before this date and take place anywhere. A coasting unicycle may not be used. I may have as many attempts as I wish. For example, if I do this on May 1 and fail due to a flat tire, I can try again, as long as it is on or before May 23.

Anybody who wishes may ride along with me on a bicycle. If nobody chooses to, then it will be pretty much on the honor system. I am tentatively planning to do with in the coastal Los Angeles area. Perhaps Paradigm will volunteer to ride it with me and serve as judge.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2014 at 11:33:16 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 3174
Here is my proposed route:



I will start in downtown Seal Beach. Then head south along the Pacific Coast Highway to Huntington Beach. I'll ride the Huntington Beach bike path along the beach to where it ends at the Santa Ana River, which I think serves as the border to Newport Beach.

Then I'll head back the same way to Seal Beach. Then I'll head up the San Gabriel River bike path to Wilderness Park in Downey. Then I'll head back down the same bike path back towards Seal Beach, ending where I started. Using GoogleMaps, I put the total mileage at 52.

After I shower up at the beach, there will be a victory/birthday celebration at O'Malley's on Main Street in Seal Beach.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2014 at 12:06:24 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 85
Posts: 1410
Quote: Wizard
I see the voting is 3-3 so I'm offering even money. The terms are that I will have up to eight hours to ride a unicycle 50 miles. I will have up to eight hours to do so, from start to finish. The challenge must be completed by 11:59 PM May 23, 2015. The challenge may be any day before this date and take place anywhere. A coasting unicycle may not be used. I may have as many attempts as I wish. For example, if I do this on May 1 and fail due to a flat tire, I can try again, as long as it is on or before May 23.

Anybody who wishes may ride along with me on a bicycle. If nobody chooses to, then it will be pretty much on the honor system. I am tentatively planning to do with in the coastal Los Angeles area. Perhaps Paradigm will volunteer to ride it with me and serve as judge.


In addition, I would ask for the following qualifications:

-- You must pedal the entire distance. You cannot dismount, and get credit for any portion of the distance. If you dismount, you must go back and cover the missed portion mounted, or extend the finish by an equal distance while mounted.
-- The clock is constantly running. It does not stop if you dismount, take breaks, have to wait for lights to change, need to fix a flat, etc.
-- You must make a good faith effort to notify the other parties when and where you plan to perform the challenge.
-- The "must complete" time is Las Vegas local time, regardless of where the challenge is attempted.
-- You must wear a helmet.
-- The challege is complete when you pedal completely across the finish line.
October 15th, 2014 at 12:12:48 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 3174
Quote: Ayecarumba
In addition, I would ask for the following qualifications:

-- You must pedal the entire distance. You cannot dismount, and get credit for any portion of the distance. If you dismount, you must go back and cover the missed portion mounted, or extend the finish by an equal distance while mounted..


I'm sure I'll dismount lots of times, mainly at street crossings. I will be allowed to walk across the street. The measured distance is already 52 miles. The extra 2 will more than cover what few street crossings I'll face, which will be very few.

Quote: Ayecarumba
-- The clock is constantly running. It does not stop if you dismount, take breaks, have to wait for lights to change, need to fix a flat, etc..


Agreed.

Quote: Ayecarumba
-- You must make a good faith effort to notify the other parties when and where you plan to perform the challenge..


Agreed. Paradigm has tentatively agreed to ride along with me. Either way, anybody may post themselves along the route to ensure I pass by.

Quote: Ayecarumba
-- The "must complete" time is Las Vegas local time, regardless of where the challenge is attempted..


Agreed.

Quote: Ayecarumba
-- You must wear a helmet..


Agreed.

Quote: Ayecarumba
-- The challege is complete when you pedal completely across the finish line.


Agreed, as long as there is nothing encumbering the finish line, like your car.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2014 at 12:28:26 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
I'll put up $25 that says you can't do it, based on the terms agreed with Aye above. If I am somewhere close by, it'd be pretty neat to join you for the last half... I think my foot speed is too slow though :)
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2014 at 12:32:21 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 85
Posts: 1410
Quote: Wizard
Agreed, as long as there is nothing encumbering the finish line, like your car.


Hehe, I didn't think of that. I was picturing more of a bike race finish where you get credit for getting yourself and the bike across the line, not necessarily in any particular order.

I'm in the neighborhood, and will try to make it out for this if I can.

Edit: I'll put up $25 against too.
October 15th, 2014 at 12:36:57 PM permalink
DJTeddyBear
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 4
Posts: 222
I don't know. If the challenge was within the next month, I would bet the no. 50 is a lot more than 20. But you've got plenty of time to train. If you can work it up to about 30 or 35 miles by the end of April, then I would definitely bet the yes. Bottom line, I think you can do it - if you train.

Sigh, no vote. Ask me again in April.
Ignorance is bliss and knowledge is power. But having only some facts can get you into trouble!
October 15th, 2014 at 1:13:18 PM permalink
TheCesspit
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 23
Posts: 1929
I think he has the best of it, but the endurance aspect of it is the part where I might get a little bit back.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
October 15th, 2014 at 1:37:33 PM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Member since: Oct 23, 2012
Threads: 145
Posts: 3174
Quote: TheCesspit
I'll put up $25 that says you can't do it, based on the terms agreed with Aye above. If I am somewhere close by, it'd be pretty neat to join you for the last half... I think my foot speed is too slow though :)


It's a bet! Hope you can make it. Anybody with a bicycle should be able to keep up easily.

Quote: Ayecarumba
I'm in the neighborhood, and will try to make it out for this if I can.

Edit: I'll put up $25 against too.


You have action too! Hope you can make it as well.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
October 15th, 2014 at 2:31:59 PM permalink
Ayecarumba
Member since: Oct 24, 2012
Threads: 85
Posts: 1410
Great! It should be a lot of fun. My only hope to win the bet is wind in your face.... both ways.
Page 3 of 55<123456>Last »