Let's talk about the 2016 election.

Page 1 of 41234>
November 7th, 2012 at 9:58:03 AM permalink
Wizard
Administrator
Threads: 239
I'll go first. I predict Marco Rubio defeating Hilary Clinton.

BTW, Rubio, is a misnomer. It means blond in Spanish.
Knowledge is Good -- Emil Faber
November 7th, 2012 at 10:06:50 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I promised myself not to do this soon. Oh we'll

Rubio is a rising star but I see a governor and not a senator. Hillary represents the past not the future. Biden will lock up all the precinct captains in ia.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2012 at 10:11:06 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
The GOP can't just put a browner face on the same policies and expect to win.
This space for rent
November 7th, 2012 at 10:13:56 AM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
gotta go for entertainment points this early: Christie/King beats Biden/Franken.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 7th, 2012 at 10:24:12 AM permalink
TheCesspit
Threads: 23
Quote: rdw4potus
gotta go for entertainment points this early: Christie/King beats Biden/Franken.

Biden/Franken would make for a great comedy tour, but you might as well try and run with Steve Carroll/Lewis Black as a ticket.
It is said that your life flashes before your eyes just before you die.... it's called Life
November 7th, 2012 at 11:13:28 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
Quote: FarFromVegas
The GOP can't just put a browner face on the same policies and expect to win.

We may be headed for more not less racial politics. Obama got only 39% of the white vote down 4% from 2008. That drops a few more points and holds and the latino vote is more than canceled out. It will get ugly.
The President is a fink.
November 7th, 2012 at 11:20:12 AM permalink
FarFromVegas
Threads: 3
Quote: AZDuffman
We may be headed for more not less racial politics. Obama got only 39% of the white vote down 4% from 2008. That drops a few more points and holds and the latino vote is more than canceled out. It will get ugly.

Even Newt Gingrich gets it:

Quote: Newt
He argued the GOP could work on becoming more inclusive–a challenge, he said, that House Republicans especially face. "The question is do they want to, in a disciplined way, create a schedule and a program and include people who are not traditionally Republican?"

"The difference between outreach and inclusion is outreach is when five white guys have a meeting and call you," he continued. "Inclusion is when you're in the meeting."

This space for rent
November 7th, 2012 at 1:09:15 PM permalink
Dfens
Threads: 1
Who knew that Herman Cain would be a top GOP candidate in 2008? My shots in the dark

GOP:

Chris Christie - Nice set up with Sandy and moderate though some GOP members may look at him as a traitor.

Mitt Romney I know his wife says no more campaigning, but would he have better luck in 2016 especially if the economy doesn't recover

Marco Rubio - I don't know much about him other than some females dig him and most people put him as the favorite.

Paul Ryan - Maybe too far right but exposure in this election may get him the GOP nomination

GOP Vice President:
I think this is where you'll see a reach to minorities to shore up votes. I really think it will be a female VP candidate similar to a Sarah Palin pick.

Condoleezza Rice - Her link to the G.W. Bush administration (and Bob Woodward's books illustrating her poor decisions on Iraq) will hurt but she would fit the female/minority appeal.

Bobby Jindal - has also appointed REP/DEM to posts so he has some appeal but not enough to win a GOP Pres nomination. And I realize he's not a female.

DEM:

Most people are putting out two names but I'm going for the "field"

Joe Biden - I don't think he has much appeal. His outrageous off the cuff statements hurt his likeability

Hillary Clinton - She got a late start into politics and will be too burned out. I think she's already planning to step down as Secretary of State.

"Field" - 4 years is a long time and it seems that "outsiders" with a short list of political history are actually doing well.

My prediction is that the GOP will redefine themselves from extreme positions, the economy will recover but at a pace that will still disappoint and the left will be upset with the compromises that will need to happen in Congress to finally pass legislation. I think the odds swing over to a GOP President only if they are able to get a candidate who will not have to pander to the extreme right during the Primary.
November 7th, 2012 at 1:41:27 PM permalink
rdw4potus
Threads: 10
If he's not too burned-out, I really like Bloomberg as an independent in 2016. Socially left, fiscally right certainly fits with the current american mainstream. He could self-finance the campaign if he had to, and he'd have about 3 years from the end of his term to the election.

For the GOP: Susana Martinez, maybe. Maybe Susan Collins. Jeb Bush could win in a landslide if his last name weren't Bush. Christie, but seriously, he'd have to lose weight to overcome the petty image issues in a national campaign. Rubio will win eventually, but might not want 2016.

For the Dems. Clinton would win, but swears she has no interest. Biden is interested, but can't win. Outside of the administration Amy Klobuchar if she wants it (she says "never"), Brian Schweitzer, pick a Udall, Tim Kaine.
I'm not wearing any pants, film at 11
November 7th, 2012 at 2:01:13 PM permalink
Mosca
Threads: 22
For the GOP, I believe they will nominate the shrieking white-hot sphere of pure rage.
Page 1 of 41234>