President Obama's Immigration Speech

Page 1 of 3123>
November 20th, 2014 at 6:05:02 PM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
I really don't want to or should get too political, but I think that President Obama's speech on immigration was the best presidential speech I have ever heard. It was compassionate, thoughtful, provoking, inspiring, and an example of leadership. If he would have left out his decision on executive orders I reckon he could have inspired the congress to quick and decisive action through his words. I'm not a huge fan, but wow what a speech!

p.s. I love his use of Scripture!
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 20th, 2014 at 6:34:31 PM permalink
beachbumbabs
Threads: 6
I agree that it was a great, meaningful, moving speech. And the Scripture quote was apt.

However, I don't see Congressional leadership having either the compassion, self-awareness, or humility to make any move towards bill passage, either what's available to the House from prior Senate passage, or any useful counterproposal in the new Congress to come. I wish I did.

The President's absolutely right about immigration being the life-blood and purpose of Americanism. My mom, other friends' parents, friends themselves, have gone through the process. And they have been teachers, scientists, medical people, a hundred other productive contributors to this country's vitality. I support that he took executive action, and moreover, why.

It would be great if Congress can see their way to take effective action, and it should be noted that the President said his measures would be in effect only so long as they were needed, and could be replaced by Congressional bills. But I don't see it in the current climate.
Never doubt a small group of concerned citizens can change the world; it's the only thing ever has
November 20th, 2014 at 9:25:26 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: beachbumbabs
I agree that it was a great,.

It was also illegal and an impeachable offense.
Too bad Biden is VP, nobody wants that senile
moron as the pres. They'll have to cut off Obama
from confirmations and strangle his actions
with no funding. He could have easily done this
legally in 2009 and 10, he promised it in the
campaign. God I hate the smug SOB, what
a tool..
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 20th, 2014 at 9:28:09 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
Quote: FrGamble
I really don't want to or should get too political, but I think that President Obama's speech on immigration was the best presidential speech I have ever heard. It was compassionate, thoughtful, provoking, inspiring!

Gee, we should open the border and let them
all come here. We going broke, the more the
merrier. We have plenty of room on the welfare
rolls, food stamps for the world. That's the ticket.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
November 21st, 2014 at 2:53:16 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
It was compassionate, thoughtful, provoking, inspiring, and an example of leadership.

I have to disagree, Padre. "Leadership" would be him taking the passion you said you heard (disclaimer: I tuned Obama out about three years ago as I find his speeches boring, repetitive, and useless so I did not watch) and using it to get Congress to act. He did not. What he did was try to provoke Congress so he can gain some kind of political advantage.

He has had six years to get Congress to move, some of which he had supermajorites during. Yet he waits until two weeks after he lost congress because of failures of himself and the party he leads. Ask why a leader would wait, why they would not take action when they had better leverage.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2014 at 4:52:19 AM permalink
FrGamble
Threads: 67
Quote: AZDuffman
I have to disagree, Padre. "Leadership" would be him taking the passion you said you heard (disclaimer: I tuned Obama out about three years ago as I find his speeches boring, repetitive, and useless so I did not watch) and using it to get Congress to act. He did not. What he did was try to provoke Congress so he can gain some kind of political advantage.

He has had six years to get Congress to move, some of which he had supermajorites during. Yet he waits until two weeks after he lost congress because of failures of himself and the party he leads. Ask why a leader would wait, why they would not take action when they had better leverage.

I completely agree and I would like the adjective "example of leadership" stricken from my previous comments. I still hope people can be inspired by this speech though and get past the comments like my friend Bob is making and fix this thing.
“It is with the smallest brushes that the artist paints the most exquisitely beautiful pictures.” (
November 21st, 2014 at 5:02:34 AM permalink
AZDuffman
Threads: 135
I completely agree and I would like the adjective "example of leadership" stricken from my previous comments. I still hope people can be inspired by this speech though and get past the comments like my friend Bob is making and fix this thing.

Wow, polite complete agreement! I thought this was an online Forum! :-)

For the record, I do see people in a bad situation. But my issue is we do not just ignore the law to fix it. The tragedy is that both sides want to "do something" but the left demands full, complete amnesty. They do this because they know the right will never go for it and they can then go and shout "RACIST!" for another election cycle.

As to striking the record, I would be happy to say "it is so stricken" but I am just a brown name here. :-) Feel free to strike I suppose.
The President is a fink.
November 21st, 2014 at 11:33:43 AM permalink
Face
Threads: 61
Now that I've found and read it, put me down for disagree as well. There's not much I got out of that other than "wow, he's a pompous bastard now, isn't he?" For me, the guy is reaching Bush-like levels of dislike.

"When I came here I was gonna fix it, but that wascally House (see also: Repubs) wouldn't let me". Mmhmm.

"But since they didn't, I'm just gonna go ahead and do it. And you have no right to complain as Dems and Repubs before me have done it too". Mmhmm.

"And here's some things I'm gonna do. Most of it involves me letting off those who broke the law, because they broke it "constructively". I'll somehow be the arbiter over who was wrong and who was wronger, and send those wrongers back. But I really want to emphasize that I can legally do this, and you've no right to complain as others have done this before." Mmhmm.

"And if you have a problem with that, then here's a one-off success story about a little girl. If you don't agree with me, you hate this little girl. And everyone like her, probably". Mmhmm.

The head of the executive branch... just ignoring laws as he sees fit? Shit, I started smoking weed in '98. Never stole nothing, never fought no one, never even raised my voice to my wife. Just went to work, and paid my taxes, and bought a house, and raised a family. And then I'd burn one, read a book, and go to bed. What say you, arbiter? I've also been toting a weapon since '88. Ain't never shot no one, ain't never pointed it at no one, ain't never made a threat to no one. So my fully automatic 30 rounder I have here in NY, what say you, arbiter? Yeah, it's wrong. But surely it's not "wronger", eh arbiter?

Eff this guy. I fully agree that rounding up every Tomas, Ricardo, and Jaime and chucking em over the wall via catapult isn't the best solution. But even that ludicrous idea is leagues better than having this wanker run around unchecked.

The title is President, not Potentate.
Be bold and risk defeat, or be cautious and encourage it.
November 21st, 2014 at 12:50:56 PM permalink
petroglyph
Threads: 25
OK, I guess I want some of this? I do hesitate to expose my beliefs.

This is a prime example of why I complain about the msm defining the parameters of discussion for the masses as to what constitutes "news" or the "issues" during election campaigns.

Many are just willing to accept their directions from their tv's or mainstream news source that they deem the better source.[life often gets in the way] And, let those parameters be the boundaries of where they allow themselves to think.

The problem I see with millions upon millions of illegal immigrants is not just the unimaginable cost that will speed the collapse of this once great nation, it is the very reason why so many will risk their lives to get here, and why. They lived and prospered in their own country's for thousands of years, ask yourselves why now is there a rush to risk their lives and dignity's to get here? What is the reason that now it is so important to leave there cultures and history behind, why not a 150 years ago? They use to have a future at home. So did we.

I will use Mexico and South America for examples. Going back at least a century, the US gov. and its directors [ the large corporations] have installed "tinpot" dictators in these countries. So, according to General Smedly Butler, who fought all over SA to make those countries safe for the fruit and rubber corporations, they leave these absolutely criminal Presidential dictators in charge of these countries for life. With enormous bribes being handed to the dictators, the corporations are allowed to pay slave wages to the hungry workers.

The Chiapos Mexicans in Southern Mexico have been mostly content to be corn farmers for eons. Nafta destroyed them as well, [courtesy Bill and Hillary], they held the seed bank for maize for the world. Now these poor laborers have to try and fend off Monsanto as well as drug cartels as well as human smugglers and desperate migrants from further south. All thanks to US policy. They don't want to be in the US as badly as is believed, Mexico and south America is largely paradise with thousands of miles of coastline. Look into what the "Chicago boys" have done to Chile and Argentina. George W. has a mega ranch in Paraguay see, the state dept. denial http://wonkette.com/229144/state-dept-formally-denies-bushs-south-american-escape-plans.

If anything changes, like weather or blight or if the corporation leaves and goes to China or elsewhere, the peasants are left with nothing. The dictator has generational wealth stashed all over the globe and continues to be treated with reverence as if our bureaucrats act like they don't know. The same thing our government does all over the world. As I type, my government is unaware of all the heads being cut off by Saudi Royalty while they offer state dinners and Obama bows to the Saud king. [makes me ill]

What I think is a better solution would be to send in the Seal Team 6 and assasinate most of the "leaders" we had any part in helping to get office. These guys live omnipotent lives while murdering and raping their people. We think Bill Cosby should be looked at more carefully. If he was South American he would soon have his own country. See Uday Hussein, Saddams spawn, supported by western Gov's till it became inconvenient. See Noriega of Panama. Ecuador, Columbia, Nicaragua and on and on. Understand the "school of the Americas" and how we created the very governments that these people are begging for political asylum from.

I think most of these people would rather stay in their own countries if with the aid of the US gov, their countries hadn't been so brutally socialized for the benefit of american business. Petro takes break from rant now, si.
The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury. GW
November 21st, 2014 at 1:29:53 PM permalink
RonC
Threads: 8
I agree that it was a great, meaningful, moving speech.

He reads from the teleprompter very well. He is one of the best snake-oil salesmen around. If he had half of the ability to lead as he does to read, we would all be better off.

However, I don't see Congressional leadership having either the compassion, self-awareness, or humility to make any move towards bill passage, either what's available to the House from prior Senate passage, or any useful counterproposal in the new Congress to come. I wish I did.

He had both houses of Congress and did not take up the issue. He told us he couldn't do it by executive order; that it would not be right or legal. So he punted on it when he could have done something about it, he refused to even work with anyone on it when he had divided Congress, and now he'll just do it by EO since his party holds neither house.

That's not "leadership"...

The President's absolutely right about immigration being the life-blood and purpose of Americanism. My mom, other friends' parents, friends themselves, have gone through the process. And they have been teachers, scientists, medical people, a hundred other productive contributors to this country's vitality.

Immigrants--here legally and those coming in legally--are important. Illegals aren't all they are cracked up to be.

I support that he took executive action, and moreover, why.

It would be great if Congress can see their way to take effective action, and it should be noted that the President said his measures would be in effect only so long as they were needed, and could be replaced by Congressional bills. But I don't see it in the current climate.

He took action because of his inaction and his inability to work out things with Congress. His idea of negotiations is to tell you what he wants and demand that it be done.. What compromise is he willing to make to get things moving?

You've swallowed the full amount of Kool-Aid if you believe he will allow replacement of his orders with bills. What he left unsaid was that he would do that--but only if the bills said exactly what he wants them to say.
Page 1 of 3123>