Google: People Also Ask

July 10th, 2024 at 4:53:38 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Threads: 158
A brother has pictures of a waterspout going by his house on Tampa Bay [not a video] ... awesome looking thing, but there just don't seem to be stories about damage that I come across

>>>

Has a water spout ever killed anyone?

A few intense waterspouts have caused deaths when they moved inland over populated areas, and they certainly constitute a threat to small craft; however, there are few authentic cases of large ships being destroyed by a spout.
__

Can a waterspout sink a ship?

The Malta tornado of 1551 was the earliest recorded occurrence of a deadly waterspout. It struck the Grand Harbour of Valletta, sinking four galleys and numerous boats, and claiming hundreds of lives.
__

Can a waterspout pick up a shark?

Although no shark tornadoes have ever been reported, tornadoes and waterspouts have been known to lift animals like fish, frogs and even alligators and drop them ashore, often still alive and kicking.
I'm Still Standing, Yeah, Yeah, Yeah [it's an old guy chant for me]
July 10th, 2024 at 9:07:34 AM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 193
Not the worse tornado, but such a clear day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKDSt6SAeuM
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 11th, 2024 at 3:49:36 AM permalink
odiousgambit
Is the population of Africa growing?

While population growth in other regions has slowed, Africa's has increased by 2.42 per cent per year for the past 30 years. Mar 14, 2024

__

when is the world population going to hit 10 billion?

The United Nations Population Division projects that the world will reach 9 billion people in 2037 and 10 billion in 2058.
July 11th, 2024 at 6:55:44 AM permalink
rxwine
Do you have any memories of being in a room with wet clay pots? Like terracotta flowerpots. I do. Turns out clay pots with water in them work well as evaporative coolers. No electricity needed. Of course, actual flowerpots almost always have holes in the bottom but wetting the clay, as in a fountain also works.

You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
July 12th, 2024 at 5:33:02 AM permalink
odiousgambit
just looking stuff up about this, prompted by 'silly billy'

>>>

When did England stop being an absolute monarchy?

When did England stop being a monarchy? England stopped being a total monarchy in 1215, when Magna Carta came into effect. Magna Carta is a document put into legislation to stop the monarchy from having total control and that the King must be under lawful order as well.
__

When did the British monarchy last have power?

From the end of the 17th century, monarchs lost executive power and they increasingly became subject to Parliament, resulting in today's constitutional Monarchy
__

Why was William 4th called Silly Billy? [OK, this is what I started with... he is the King who preceded Queen Victoria]

Less flatteringly, he was also known as 'Silly Billy' on account of his shortcomings in judgement, tact and intellect. Disinterested in pomp and ceremony, William was a different kind of monarch from his brother George IV - he was even known to walk around London unaccompanied!
July 13th, 2024 at 3:58:10 AM permalink
odiousgambit
anytime you don't need the features of a bigger, better storage bag, you should use a fold-top plastic bag, since these are free. OK, not really free, but there isn't much difference. Yesterday I noticed the price, 150 bags in the box, price $2.50 ... that is 1.6 cents per bag. All the other storage bags are 10 cents at least, with some others getting to be a little pricey.

Now this is an odd thing to write about, I admit it, but I've wondered why the fold-top bags are so cheap

>>>

why are fold-top storage bags so cheap?

the package may be only slightly less expensive, but has 2-3 times as many bags in each package. [only thing that comes up. I guess that they can get so many in a box is one reason.]
__

How many plastic sandwich bags are used a year?

By the 1960s, almost every American household was using them. In present day, Americans use 100 billion plastic sandwich bags every single year.May 27, 2022 [all plastic is now the focus of some ire]
__

Why should we stop using plastic bags?

Plastic bags are difficult and costly to recycle and most end up on landfill sites where they take around 300 years to photodegrade. They break down into tiny toxic particles that contaminate the soil and waterways and enter the food chain when animals accidentally ingest them.
July 16th, 2024 at 3:14:15 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've been checking for something about faces and insects, and I believe that they know the difference between your front and back when it comes to your head. My observation has been that certain ones avoid the front of your head, notably horsefly/deerfly types, I guess instinct tells them it's safer to not be seen. The below is the first thing I've seen come up on the matter at all, but not confirming all these things

>>>

Can insects recognize human faces?

They put features together to recognise a specific human face. We now know that insects' small brains can reliably recognise at least a limited number of faces. This suggests that in humans, the advantage of our big brain may be the very large number of individuals we can remember
https://theconversation.com/are-they-watching-you-the-tiny-brains-of-bees-and-wasps-can-recognise-faces-100884
__

How long do bees remember you?

two days

But it seems we may not look all alike to them. A study has found that they can learn to recognize human faces in photos, and remember them for at least two days.
__

Why do bees not like black? [this was lower down on the list with 'people also ask']

You might not think of dark colors such as red or black as being aggressive, but when it comes to bees and wasps, it's true. Darker colors will sometimes be interpreted as natural predators such as bears and skunks.
__

do bees and wasps not like black people? [I googled this for a chuckle]

[nothing really comes up directly, but is discussed in the below]
https://www.beesource.com/threads/bees-attack-dark-skinned-people.317196/
July 17th, 2024 at 5:23:03 AM permalink
odiousgambit
I've heard speculation that if you are of Celtic descent, even partially, you are much more likely to have large trees close to your house. Holdover from the Druid religion of yore. If you have none such in your ethnicity, you might just cut down all trees next to your house.

The internet if very pro-tree these days, but it's a fighting-climate-change thing, not Druidism

and nothing comes up about the above speculation, some other stuff does

>>>

What are 5 disadvantages of cutting down trees?

There are many disadvantages, it will affect the water cycle, it will destroy the flora and fauna, it will lead to an increase in carbon dioxide, thereby increasing global warming. Cutting trees destroys the habitat of animals and birds, causes floods and fires, limits the supply of wood or timber
__

Is it cruel to cut down trees?

We care for over 1,500 woods and forests and grow millions of trees each year. So why do we cut some down? We can't survive without trees, and we need to plant more. So it may feel like felling trees should be bad... But in fact, when done responsibly, it can actually be good for the health of forests.

5 reasons why it's good to cut down trees - Forestry England
__

Which trees Cannot be cut down?

You can't cut down Live Oaks, Southern Magnolias, Bald Cypresses, or Eastern Red Cedars without a permit. These trees are considered heritage trees due to their size, age, or species. Live Oaks are cherished for their broad-spreading crowns and longevity.

What trees cannot be cut down? - Tree Service Lakeland, FL [seems to be a FL thing]
__

Do trees know they are being cut down?

Do Trees Talk to Each Other? | Smithsonian

They don't have nervous systems, but they can still feel what's going on, and experience something analogous to pain. When a tree is cut, it sends electrical signals like wounded human tissue.” [I think there may be some Druids at the Smithsonian]
July 17th, 2024 at 9:39:01 AM permalink
rxwine

July 17th, 2024 at 9:41:22 AM permalink
rxwine
As my dad put a couple tires around our trees, I think that is one of the more common ideas.