What Movies Have You Seen Lately?

Page 438 of 439« First<435436437438439>
April 24th, 2024 at 10:03:59 AM permalink
missedhervee
Threads: 105
It's a movie well worth seeing, at least from a guy's point of view.

Lots of violence and ambiguity: neither "woke" nor "MAGA."

The idea that this could happen here....wow.

My wife didn't care for it: she couldn't relate to or sympathize with any of the characters and dislikes violence.

A clever concept, well executed.
April 25th, 2024 at 5:40:08 PM permalink
ams288
Threads: 29
I went and saw Civil War.

Wish I had taken a Xanax beforehand, a very stressful movie!
“A straight man will not go for kids.” - AZDuffman
April 25th, 2024 at 6:38:43 PM permalink
terapined
Threads: 74
Quote: ams288
I went and saw Civil War.

Wish I had taken a Xanax beforehand, a very stressful movie!

I thought it was a masterpiece
At the end, I just sat there stunned as they rolled the credits over the black and white photos of the last scene. Couldn't believe they went there.
I love how they went ambiguous on politics and just went for the action and violence and didn't hold back
A road trip movie with lots of suspense and action is essentially what it is
Life is very cheap in violent conflicts and I believe the movie showed that over and over.
The last 20 min are so awesome
Sometimes we live no particular way but our own - Grateful Dead "Eyes of the World"
May 22nd, 2024 at 7:53:31 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 190
I couldn't decide if these two Vietnamese girls are still in Vietnam or the US but I totally got roped-in watching them watch "Dumb and Dumber" because they were laughing so much. (they do refer to themselves as foreign girls react, which makes me think they might still be in Vietnam) Plus they seemed to go completely blank on some cultural references)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_okgggKoxro
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 22nd, 2024 at 10:31:46 PM permalink
Evenbob
Threads: 146
There are 17 reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes for Kevin Costner's Western 'Horizon'. It ain't looking good. Costner has invested his entire Fortune into this turkey and it's getting some of the worst reviews and it hasn't even been released yet. I suspected this might be the case, good westerns are really hard to make. Costner directed and starred in Dances With Wolves which of course won every award possible so he thinks he knows what he's doing. Here's just a few of the reviews.

Every magnificent vista and each swooningly romantic moment can’t make up for the fact that Horizon is excruciatingly dull.

Despite the shootouts, some epic vistas (frankly, not as much as you’d expect), and a few fleeting moments of genuine tension, it all feels flat.

But a film – certainly a Western – needs to have a plot, a bit of credible characterisation, and a structure that preferably includes a beginning, middle and end. Horizon doesn't have any of those.

This thing is 3 hours long and others are saying it should have been a 2-hour TV movie. And there are four of these movies in the franchise. This one is obviously going to be a big flop so we will never see the others. Costner is going to be begging Taylor Sheridan to get back on Yellowstone.
If you take a risk, you may lose. If you never take a risk, you will always lose.
May 23rd, 2024 at 7:44:53 AM permalink
ams288
Quote: Evenbob
There are 17 reviews so far on Rotten Tomatoes for Kevin Costner's Western 'Horizon'. It ain't looking good. Costner has invested his entire Fortune into this turkey and it's getting some of the worst reviews and it hasn't even been released yet. I suspected this might be the case, good westerns are really hard to make. Costner directed and starred in Dances With Wolves which of course won every award possible so he thinks he knows what he's doing. Here's just a few of the reviews.

Every magnificent vista and each swooningly romantic moment can’t make up for the fact that Horizon is excruciatingly dull.

Despite the shootouts, some epic vistas (frankly, not as much as you’d expect), and a few fleeting moments of genuine tension, it all feels flat.

But a film – certainly a Western – needs to have a plot, a bit of credible characterisation, and a structure that preferably includes a beginning, middle and end. Horizon doesn't have any of those.

This thing is 3 hours long and others are saying it should have been a 2-hour TV movie. And there are four of these movies in the franchise. This one is obviously going to be a big flop so we will never see the others. Costner is going to be begging Taylor Sheridan to get back on Yellowstone.

We’re you lying when you said you didn’t need to post here anymore or….?
May 26th, 2024 at 12:06:22 PM permalink
rxwine
Threads: 190
Quote:
The Apprentice,” a new biopic about former President Trump’s rise in the real estate industry, did not clinch any awards at the Cannes Film Festival over the weekend.
The biopic is directed by Iranian Danish filmmaker Ali Abbasi and stars actor Sebastian Stan playing the then-New York real estate developer Trump and Jeremy Strong as Trump’s real-life former attorney and mentor Roy Cohn. The movie reportedly received an eight-minute standing ovation after it premiered at the festival.

Trump’s lawyers are trying to squash it.
You believe in an invisible god, and dismiss people who say they are trans? Really?
May 26th, 2024 at 4:39:47 PM permalink
ams288
Quote: rxwine
Trump’s lawyers are trying to squash it.

Streisand effect.
July 16th, 2024 at 8:58:35 AM permalink
Ddoris69
Threads: 0
Recently I watched "Spider-Man, Across the Spider-Verse" in theaters, and it was absolutely fantastic. The animation was stunning, and the storyline was gripping from start to finish. The characters were well-developed, and there were plenty of Easter eggs for die-hard fans of the comics. I also rented "The Whale" and found Brendan Fraser's performance incredibly moving and powerful. It’s a deeply emotional film that really tugs at the heartstrings. Both movies were great in their own right, and I highly recommend them if you're looking for something new to watch without giving away any spoilers.
https://www.healthquestbilling.com/
July 16th, 2024 at 1:06:00 PM permalink
DRich
Threads: 53
I tried to watch the new Beverly Hills Cop movie. I made it through about 7 minutes before shutting it off.
At my age a Life In Prison sentence is not much of a detrrent.
Page 438 of 439« First<435436437438439>